Plymouth Argyle v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Plymouth Argyle v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:10 pm Exactly, he's wasted on that right wing.

He's a flair player and a proper finisher.
He is

His best work has always come central or from the left.

He can't play hugging the touchline imo
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:20 pm Chelsea or Villa...... fancy we could pinch that. Would rather it be Chelsea.
Chelsea please.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Comfortable in the end.

Happy days
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 pm Reminds me of Viduka
Good comparison
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:30 pm I would prefer Chelsea simply for the history.
Same. You sense a bit of desperation with Chelsea. Doubt they’ll relish playing us.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 pm Don't think we were tired in the end, we were looking for a 5th for christ sake .... Geo the new duracell bunny
Only because I'm gaff prone and you get to correct me all the time, it's the Energizer Bunny :)
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:27 pm Joffy looked quality out on the wing... very unlucky not to score... We don't have a deep squad and injuries will mean weak benches but we do have a vert strong first team squad with quality depth. Think this is a better 18/20 than the team that Bielsa took up
His best match by far. Glad he and the other bench players got some decent minutes.
In Farke we trust...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:33 pm Only because I'm gaff prone and you get to correct me all the time, it's the Energizer Bunny :)
:tup:

oops....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:27 pm Joffy looked quality out on the wing... very unlucky not to score... We don't have a deep squad and injuries will mean weak benches but we do have a vert strong first team squad with quality depth. Think this is a better 18/20 than the team that Bielsa took up
I agree Sub. This game did show us a bit about the bench - Joseph, Gellie, Byrum on the right. It also showed that the big guns can be very effective coming off the bench as well.

So to me it reinforces the point about the January window. We should not have been bringing in players simply because we are scared of picking up injuries to the starting 11.
There is way too much risk in bringing on a bad fit (e.g. Spence), disrupting the dressing room and then you still have an issue when you get an injury!

Roberts gives some additional options when he can fit in to the line-up.
So we now have real options for the back 4 and middle 2. I think this is a strong squad to see out the season.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:33 pm Same. You sense a bit of desperation with Chelsea. Doubt they’ll relish playing us.
No they certainly wouldn't.

I would play the best team we can - let's see how we go against PL opposition - even one as crappy as Chelsea. Good prep for next season. 8-)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gruev may be MOTM, but Summerville & Rutter won that game for us, Cree scared Plymouth's tired legs to death. A goal & an assist for both.

We could have scored double-figures tonight.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:29 pm Don't think we were tired in the end, we were looking for a 5th for christ sake .... Geo the new duracell bunny
Only came on in the 82nd minute 😁.

Overall though, I agree, we were looking very strong towards the end.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:33 pm Same. You sense a bit of desperation with Chelsea. Doubt they’ll relish playing us.
Aye - but Sod’s Law suggests they find some form heading into the fixture if we do play them. They have a lot of quality players at some point something has to click. I just hope it is in April.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:37 pm I agree Sub. This game did show us a bit about the bench - Joseph, Gellie, Byrum on the right. It also showed that the big guns can be very effective coming off the bench as well.

So to me it reinforces the point about the January window. We should not have been bringing in players simply because we are scared of picking up injuries to the starting 11.
There is way too much risk in bringing on a bad fit (e.g. Spence), disrupting the dressing room and then you still have an issue when you get an injury!

Roberts gives some additional options when he can fit in to the line-up.
So we now have real options for the back 4 and middle 2. I think this is a strong squad to see out the season.
The worry is if injuries bite, and in this division with so many late/heavy tackles on our players getting little protection from the refs that's a real possibitly,, we have the quality to replace them but not to leave quality and numbers on the bench.... Lose say Paddy/Cry/Gnonto/James at once and we replace with Anthony/Joffy/Piroe etc and there's not really much to come off the bench to change games ..

That Ayling/Hjelde/Gyabi/Poveda (all good enough at this level) cushion is gone and it's a big drop off to the 18's. Can't call them 21's atm.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Not really bothered who we play next ( reckon Villa will beat Chelsea ) just want to see how we fare when playing a Premiership team.
If i was given the choice of opponent it would be Chelsea as i think there is more of a chance that we could beat them, cant see us being good enough to beat Villa.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

So the Leeds v Southampton final looks unlikely. The Footballing gods love an ironic twist.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:42 pm Aye - but Sod’s Law suggests they find some form heading into the fixture if we do play them. They have a lot of quality players at some point something has to click. I just hope it is in April.
Of course. Not under any illusions. Either them or Villa will be very interesting either way. Beats going out to Bogchester Rovers
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:32 pm Good comparison
Yes, just a good number of inches shorter :)
Willie seems a confidence player to me. When he's feeling good he gets stuck in - so he would be better somewhere in the middle - maybe could play in Georgie's role when he needs a break.

We're OK for wingers and wingbacks right now.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:59 pm Yes, just a good number of inches shorter :)
Willie seems a confidence player to me. When he's feeling good he gets stuck in - so he would be better somewhere in the middle - maybe could play in Georgie's role when he needs a break.

We're OK for wingers and wingbacks right now.
CJay was comparing Piroe to Viduka in this case, I've been saying willy is a ten for a while, also good on the left and I think he'd be good as the 9. He can play right but it's his weakest position across the front 4.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:01 pm CJay was comparing Piroe to Viduka in this case, I've been saying willy is a ten for a while, also good on the left and I think he'd be good as the 9. He can play right but it's his weakest position across the front 4.
Never seen Gnonto play 10, have you?

He seems to me to lack the vision and incisive passing required at this stage, but then he’s only 20.

He may be a formidable 10 in 5-10 years from now when he’s matured a la Pablo, but it’s far too soon for me at the minute.