Chelsea v Leeds - Post Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Chelsea v Leeds - Post Match Thread

Post by Sara »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:00 pm I’m there with you. Thought it was there for the taking and was clamoring for Gnonto in the 10 at the half. But I’m not as disappointed as a normal league loss, if that makes sense. Thought our backups acquitted themselves well.
Yes, it does... I'd have been more disappointed with a loss to Leicester, or, heaven forbid, the dog botherers. But I'm still looking wistfully at the Cup... one of these years we'll take it seriously.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sara wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:53 pm Time for a slap imo.
I do apologise, but i couldn't resist ;-) It was the first thing that entered my head and it made me laugh :) I'm glad you've taken it like that.

Well, i hope you have. :oops:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 pm That's what did it for me, i was really impressed with the positional shape of all our players, i didn't see any 'chicken bart theds'

It's impressive work throughout, readjusting the side and they turn out like that, everyone of them up for it, and more importantly, they were ready to just slip in and knuckle down and play, and they played with confidence on the ball, showing they'd been told to play and not 'hoof'... there's a correct time to 'hoof' and they, especially Mes did get shut when nowt was on or danger was there, and yes composure was there throughout.

It's given me confidence we can play like that if we go up, Citeh will probably tear us apart, but i'm not feckin arsed, it'll have to take a lot of time and money to ever catch them up, but we'll play better, go toe to toe and beat a lot of the mid to lower Prem teams if we can get there.

He's built some cracking foundations to build on, and all that in 7 months.

Absolutely nobody out on loan will get back into this side, and not because they're deserters, because they're not good enough, none.
Two points:

I agree. It did show that we don't need to change our style for the premier league. He's created a really good foundation. A lot of it is team ethos which he has also improved. Last season we were constantly getting worked through in midfield and had nobody busting a gut to get back and defend. We lost bombers like Alioski, Dallas, Phillips. And got people like Roca and McKennie. Farke has built a team willing to do the running.

As for the loanees. I said earlier that I wouldn't take any back. But I've been rethinking it. In terms of numbers alone, we probably need to add 4 or 5 bodies just to make this a decent sized squad. Add to that anyone we might lose. Plus it's questionable over whether a few like Gelhardt, Shackleton, Cresswell, Firpo, Cooper can contribute in the premier league. So realistically we might need 7 or 8 senior players added to the current squad.

I wonder if Farke will reconsider some of the loanees and offer an olive branch. We might be stuck with Aaronson, who could be worthwhile off the bench. Harrison and Wober could add something to the squad too. Of those, I think only Wober left under a cloud. Easy to tell them all to f-off. But upgrading a premier league squad is a big ask. The last 2 seasons, I've seen Forest then Burnley add more than 20 players in their first season. I don't think we need that much of an overhaul. I think our foundation is good. But if we're needing to add 7 to 10, surely some of the loanees are worth consideration.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:08 pm I do apologise, but i couldn't resist ;-) It was the first thing that entered my head and it made me laugh :) I'm glad you've taken it like that.

Well, i hope you have. :oops:
No, I''m in a hysterical frenzy, and will hunt you down and put poo on your doorstep.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Reet, i've just gone over this a number of times, and i'm not looking to jump on the guy, but what the feck does Firpo go to Gallaghers left for for that goal, i just don't get it, he's got to see the trajection of the ball and where it's coming to Gallagher and he just has to get goal side, wtf is he doing going to Gallaghers left for ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68418575
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:10 pm Two points:

I agree. It did show that we don't need to change our style for the premier league. He's created a really good foundation. A lot of it is team ethos which he has also improved. Last season we were constantly getting worked through in midfield and had nobody busting a gut to get back and defend. We lost bombers like Alioski, Dallas, Phillips. And got people like Roca and McKennie. Farke has built a team willing to do the running.

As for the loanees. I said earlier that I wouldn't take any back. But I've been rethinking it. In terms of numbers alone, we probably need to add 4 or 5 bodies just to make this a decent sized squad. Add to that anyone we might lose. Plus it's questionable over whether a few like Gelhardt, Shackleton, Cresswell, Firpo, Cooper can contribute in the premier league. So realistically we might need 7 or 8 senior players added to the current squad.

I wonder if Farke will reconsider some of the loanees and offer an olive branch. We might be stuck with Aaronson, who could be worthwhile off the bench. Harrison and Wober could add something to the squad too. Of those, I think only Wober left under a cloud. Easy to tell them all to f-off. But upgrading a premier league squad is a big ask. The last 2 seasons, I've seen Forest then Burnley add more than 20 players in their first season. I don't think we need that much of an overhaul. I think our foundation is good. But if we're needing to add 7 to 10, surely some of the loanees are worth consideration.
You're talking a lot of sense for this board, AJS :lol: In terms of olive branches, we've seen DF offer a path to redemption to both Gnonto and Cresswell. Willy's recent purple patch aside, we've also seen how Farke's approach has been able to get the best out of players who weren't exactly performing their best before (Jimmy, Geo, James, etc.) or who were journeyman (Rodon and Amps). Given all that DF has accomplished in these various regards it seems like it would be short-sighted, and maybe even harmful to our chances of staying up (if we're promoted--don't want to jinx it here), to write-off all the loanees for jumping ship. I'm sure DF knows what's out there in terms of our loanees, but he'll need time with them over the summer to fully evaluate their worth, value to the squad, etc.

All that to say, I trust his judgement and wouldn't deny anyone a second chance at redemption if they have his stamp of approval.
In Farke we trust...
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sara wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 pm No, I''m in a hysterical frenzy, and will hunt you down and put poo on your doorstep.
So Kenny might open his door and find you squatting on his doorstep?
I don’t like that sentence. It’s quite abhorrent
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Sorry for posting the FT Stats late--I literally hit the submit button yesterday and the match thread was locked. Was in the parking lot with the Mrs. at the doctor's office and couldn't re-post until this afternoon.

FT Stats

xG*
Leeds: 1.45
Chelsea: 0.99

Possession
Leeds: 49%
Chelsea: 51%

Shots
Leeds: 13 total = 3 on target, 6 off target, & 4 blocked
Chelsea: 10 total = 5 on target, 4 off target, & 1 blocked

*Expected goals (xG) measures the quality of a chance by calculating the likelihood that it will be scored from a particular position on the pitch during a particular phase of play.
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Jaydog wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm So Kenny might open his door and find you squatting on his doorstep?
And I thought the poo on the doorstep was a dark turn by itself :lol:
In Farke we trust...
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm Sorry for posting the FT Stats late--I literally hit the submit button yesterday and the match thread was locked. Was in the parking lot with the Mrs. at the doctor's office and couldn't re-post until this afternoon.

FT Stats

xG*
Leeds: 1.45
Chelsea: 0.99

Possession
Leeds: 49%
Chelsea: 51%

Shots
Leeds: 13 total = 3 on target, 6 off target, & 4 blocked
Chelsea: 10 total = 5 on target, 4 off target, & 1 blocked

*Expected goals (xG) measures the quality of a chance by calculating the likelihood that it will be scored from a particular position on the pitch during a particular phase of play.
Bit of a theme in that from last season. Premier teams don't need high xg to beat us. Their fire power (the 50 million plus players) in front of goal is far superior to ours
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:36 pm And I thought the poo on the doorstep was a dark turn by itself :lol:
Dark poo. Too much Guinness. I should know after Dublin :roflmao:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm So Kenny might open his door and find you squatting on his doorstep?
At least it is a sentence, in that it has a full stop at the end of it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Sara wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:11 pm No, I''m in a hysterical frenzy, and will hunt you down and put poo on your doorstep.
ffs, not again :roll:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sara wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:45 pm At least it is a sentence, in that it has a full stop at the end of it.
It was a load of s**t and you know it
Full stop
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I knew i was on dodgy ground, but couldn't resist coz it instantly came in my head..."Jeez Sara's on one today" was my initial thought, instantly followed by the post :twisted:

;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Jaydog wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:42 pm Dark poo. Too much Guinness. I should know after Dublin :roflmao:
And darker we go (absolutely no pun intended)... :sick:
In Farke we trust...
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 pm And darker we go (absolutely no pun intended)... :sick:
If you need any tarmac…
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've never liked scatalogical humour ...very Germanic though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Jaydog wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:06 pm If you need any tarmac…
Where the hell have we ended up. The only tarmac I'm aware of in American-speak, is an airport runway--exactly how much Guinness did you drink?
In Farke we trust...
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:40 pm I've never liked scatalogical humour ...very Germanic though
The Germans like their poo jokes do they? I took German for one week one summer during primary school, but all we got to do was make pretzels. Feel like I missed out some real culture sharing.
In Farke we trust...