Leeds Utd set pieces

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd set pieces

Post by Carrick Dave »

Prisoner37 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:12 pm It was quoted on MOTD the other week that Aresnal have scored 43% of their goals from dead ball situations.

We must have less than a tenth of that number.

A priority for the summer to get someone in who can ping one in.
What about that Greenwood lad at Boro? :shock:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:04 pm What about that Greenwood lad at Boro? :shock:
Had a few attempts without success in about 25 appearances for Leeds.

One of many players who won't be good enough in the PL if we are promoted, Dave.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:04 pm What about that Greenwood lad at Boro? :shock:
That was his forte Dave, shame actually, he lacks pace and stamina imho, I've seen a lot of SG and was always disappointed with his pace.
His set pieces however were 95% there, if only we could bring him on just for those situations like in AF for instance.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

Agree Greenwood is the best we have at set pieces but we need someone that gets in the first team on overall play PLUS being a deadballer.

Won't be cheap but will make a massive difference, as it should make the cloggers think twice when in free kick range.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Yeah, I can’t really see Sam being the answer for us either.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Prisoner37 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:58 pm Agree Greenwood is the best we have at set pieces but we need someone that gets in the first team on overall play PLUS being a deadballer.

Won't be cheap but will make a massive difference, as it should make the cloggers think twice when in free kick range.
I would have liked us to have gone for JWP, but maybe DF dosen't think he'll fit.
Shame that.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

Can anybody loan us a Robert Snodgrass or Gary Kelly pls.
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
msanderson
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by msanderson »

Our goals conceded from set-pieces is good compared with other teams (only Ipswich have conceded fewer)
Calling for Struik and/or Coops to return seems a bit drastic, Rodon and Ampadu are the best defensive partnership we've had for years!

Must admit our own set-pieces are s**t though!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I agree we don't want the defensive set piece problems creeping. We miss both Struijk & Byram for that side of the game. Byram attacks the ball better then anyone on evidence this season. Coops also does it fairly well to be fair to him. I remember watching Leicester pinging them in and thinking every ball was on the money. I thought big Joe would have knocked one in for us by now.

Its a massive boost to any team being a threat from set-pieces.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

We are tied for 7th in the league for goals scored from set plays, including corners, direct /indirect free kicks, and throws-ins, with 8 goals.

In comparison the other top four teams rank as follows for goals scored from set play:

Tied for 2nd - Ipswich: 13 goals
Tied for 4th - Southampton: 11 goals
Tied for 5th - Leicester: 10 goals

We're the worst of the top four in this category, but not too far off the overall pace in this category.

Before the set play goal we conceded to Huddersfield, we were actually tied for first with several other teams as the best league at conceding goals from set play with only 6. We're now tied for second best in the league with 7 goals conceded from set play.

In comparison the other top four teams rank as follows for goals conceded from set play:

Tied for 1st - Ipswich: 6 goals
Tied for 2nd - Southampton: 7 goals
Tied for 7th - Leicester: 12 goals

Source: https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/08/champ ... 3-24-opta/
In Farke we trust...
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:52 pm Had a few attempts without success in about 25 appearances for Leeds.

One of many players who won't be good enough in the PL if we are promoted, Dave.
I think Greenwood will be good enough for the PL. But it's going o be a different journey for him to get there. It won't be with Leeds. He'll have to establish himself in the championship for a couple of years. Leif Davis similar story. Wouldn't make it sitting on our bench. Drops to L1. There will be PL clubs looking at him next season - if he doesn't get there with Ipswich. Cody Drameh could have been a PL player if he'd stay with Luton. Just can't write off players because they don't make our starting 11. It often takes a drop down to make it.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

AcrossThePondAsh wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:32 pm We are tied for 7th in the league for goals scored from set plays, including corners, direct /indirect free kicks, and throws-ins, with 8 goals.

In comparison the other top four teams rank as follows for goals scored from set play:

Tied for 2nd - Ipswich: 13 goals
Tied for 4th - Southampton: 11 goals
Tied for 5th - Leicester: 10 goals

We're the worst of the top four in this category, but not too far off the overall pace in this category.

Before the set play goal we conceded to Huddersfield, we were actually tied for first with several other teams as the best league at conceding goals from set play with only 6. We're now tied for second best in the league with 7 goals conceded from set play.

In comparison the other top four teams rank as follows for goals conceded from set play:

Tied for 1st - Ipswich: 6 goals
Tied for 2nd - Southampton: 7 goals
Tied for 7th - Leicester: 12 goals

Source: https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/08/champ ... 3-24-opta/
Those numbers are a little more reassuring.

I think a few memories from the past couple of seasons lingering. Seeing that goal at Huddersfield made us all think here we go again. It was only a week earlier when we conceded one against Leicester. But the trepidation of defensive corners is probably exacerbated over what we've seen over 3 or 4 seasons.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:19 pm Those numbers are a little more reassuring.

I think a few memories from the past couple of seasons lingering. Seeing that goal at Huddersfield made us all think here we go again. It was only a week earlier when we conceded one against Leicester. But the trepidation of defensive corners is probably exacerbated over what we've seen over 3 or 4 seasons.
That's was my thinking too, which is why I wanted to look at the numbers. Can't remember each and every set play goal we've conceded this season but if they were in close games, or caused us to lose or draw, then it leaves a bigger impact than the numbers really support.
In Farke we trust...
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Get Aaronson and Harrison back on them, I say…

😈
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

I don’t understand everybody back to defend a corner.

The more you leave up the more they have to outnumber you as a defensive unit.

Leaving Summerville and James up front would give the opposition puppies.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm I don’t understand everybody back to defend a corner.

Especially, James but Summerville maybe on the edge of our area picking up any loose players but ready for a breakaway.
I understand why Willy stays back as he’s quite stocky but I don’t like him picking up tall CB’s as he did in the Leicester and Huddersfield games.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

VinnysTattoo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm I don’t understand everybody back to defend a corner.

The logic behind a congested penalty box does have advantages.

The attacking team have the ability to run onto the ball at PACE with less impediment if you reduce the number of defenders.
Ideally your spare players are needed to shield the keeper and potentially stand on the near and far post.
You push two up in the hope the opposition either match that or better. If they are winning they are more likely to be more defensively pragmatic, otherwise there is always the possibility that the defending team leave themselves short.
We have certainly improved defensively this season, most teams use zonal defending for the most part, the main threats from the opposition will be man marked.
I also scratch my head when I see Wee Willy facing off against a comparative giant. But it does not take much to physically prevent the opposition player from getting a clean header. He is a stocky wee lad and if he can get tight and spoil that is fine.

Offensively we are still poor - especially at corners. Our deliveries are a mixed bag and as many have pointed out we do miss Struijk - who was getting on the end of quite a few balls before he was injured.