The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th March) Struijk on course to return to action after International break

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th March) Struijk on course to return to action after International break

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 7th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Struijk on course to return to action after International break

Pascal Struijk remains on course for a return to first team action after the International break, according to Daniel Farke. The topic of injuries came up during his pre match press conference ahead of Leeds trip to Hillsborough on Friday Evening. According to Farke, Struijk continuous to respond well to treatment, he works hard at the gym, and will return to training following the International break.

It's doubtful that after almost three months out, that he'll be fit to start against Millwall when they come to Elland Road on the 17th March, but could very well play a part at Watford on the 29th! He has missed every game this year after suffering a groin strain during their narrow defeat at Deepdale on Boxing Day.

Feels a bit crazy that we didn’t speak about him last two months and thank God we didn’t have to because our defensive behaviour was spot on. He’s a cornerstone for our future. We play without such a key player for two months, once he’s back in team training it’s not like you press a button and he’s back to his best. I expect him to be back in team training other side of international break at latest. Hopefully as soon as possible back in best possible shape.

Why don't Leeds score late goals?

Leeds have scored the fewest amount of goals in the last 15 minutes of action out of the top four!

Data compiled from 'Whoscored.com' shows that despite having one of the strongest benches in the division, the Whites have netted only 11 times after the 75th minute. Ipswich are top with 21, then Leicester who have 19, followed closely by Southampton on 18. Late goals have certainly aided all three in their bids for automatic promotion this season, managing to turn losing positions around with injury time winners on multiple occasions.

Leeds are most deadly at the beginning of games, with 15 of their 66 goals coming in the first quarter of an hour. Eight of Dan James' goals have come between the thirty minute period between the 15th - 45th minute.

Gyabi wins Pilgrims accolade

Darko Gyabi has been named Plymouth Argyle's Player of the Month for February! The 20 year old has racked up over 750 minutes of game time since joining the Pilgrims on loan in January, and despite obviously being a little ring rusty due to not being utilised by Leeds, has made an impressive start to 2024 at Home Park. Gyabi, a £5m transfer from Manchester City as part of the Kalvin Phillips deal has barely kicked a ball at Leeds, prompting the question why he hasn't gone out on loan before? According to Gyabi...

I wasn't expecting it, but I'm really excited. It's been tough, because there were games where I couldn't play, but since I've been back in the team, I've just tried to help as much as possible in terms of working hard, helping the lads and taking everything in. We're back on the up now, and so it's good.

Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th March) Struijk on course to return to action after International break

Post by Sean_Nile »

There is only an allotted amount of late goals that a club can score, and I am afraid Joffy when playing as a super sub grabbed most of them.

Leeds will be assigned a new batch of late goals when they reach the premiership, so until then Leeds will have to suffice with scoring goals in normal time.

The FA have opened a investigation about the late goals scored against Lester as some have said it is a flagrant breach of the rules regarding the scoring of late goals.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 7th March) Struijk on course to return to action after International break

Post by Chilli D »

Good to hear Pascal is on the way back. It will tough for him to get back into the team due to the performances of Ampadu but based on DF's comments he wants him back as soon as possible which will mean Ampadu moving back into midfield at the expense of someone, probably Kamara.

Gyabi is similar to Cresswell last season. He's proving himself good enough for the championship but whether he can get anywhere close to our first team when he returns, remains to be seen. Possibly not if we're in the PL.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Very good footballer Gyabi ...

Late goals is a need thing, we don't often need them. Ask Leicester if Leeds late goals were a problem

Pascal maybe the most complete CH at the club ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Late goals? We're not just lowest of the first 4. We're a long way behind the rest of the pack. Maybe it's a positive in that we like to get our work done early. But I can think of a few times this season when a late goal would have been nice.

Strujik coming back will be a bonus. Farke didn't go too over the top about him. Talked up how well the current players have been doing and said it will take some time for him to get to full fitness. At one point he was being referred to as the best center back in the championship. I rate him highly. When available, I think Farke will still wait until there's a need before he brings him back. Ampadu and Gruev don't look like an ideal midfield combo. So it's likely to be Rodon and Ampadu at the back until a change is necessary,

Gyabi shows a common story with some of our youngsters. They just need playing time. In our position we can't make too many mistakes, so they have to find their playing time elsewhere. It's not that our youngsters aren't good enough. They just need the experience. Leif Davis is a star this season. Drameh was the last 2 seasons. Cresswell last season. Greenwood has done well at Boro. Gyabi, Hjelde, Gelhardt all had decent loan spells. They've all shown they can do well in this division and potentially find their way to the premier league. There's no fault in us not fast tracking them to the first team. But we probably need to be quicker to send them out on loan to advance their careers and possible benefit to us.