Recycling

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Recycling

Post by whiteswan »

What's everyone's take on recycling. Is it worth it? What really happens to all the recycled plastic? We're going to be lumbered with food waste bins (kitchen and outdoor ) in Suffolk now :roll: as well as plastic/tin and bottle banks!
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Recycling

Post by Sean_Nile »

Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

We have four wheelie bins now, normal rubbish, garden waste, cardboard/paper and glass/cans.

I don’t what happens to it to be honest, but if I didn’t do it I know I’d feel guilty.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We also have four wheelie bins, 2 for garden waste (wouldn't manage with just one), one for paper, plastics & tins & the other bin for the rest of the rubbish.
hector

Post by hector »

The only reason I use the recycle bin is because there is not enough room in the general rubbish bin for 2 weeks worth.
I burn all cardboard in the garden

My council tax goes up, and they still expect me to do their work for them...
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

hector wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:27 pm My council tax goes up, and they still expect me to do their work for them...
Our council tax has gone up, again, and we’ve been kindly informed that the green bin will not be collected from December through to March like it was last year.

Literally paying more for less.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Free Recycling Garden waste... Rosa glauca cuttings... which are extremely thorny and won’t come out of the big waste bag.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

3 wheelie bins, brown for garden waste, black for normal waste & blue for recycling. Also have a small indoor bin for food waste. It has to be done but I don’t hold much faith in the recycling centres around here as some of them can only recycle certain products and apparently we send 50% of our plastic waste abroad where I doubt it’s disposed of properly.
Keeping The Faith
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Recycling plastic bottles an beer cans for money.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

We compost all of our kitchen waste. First we make Bokashi and the put it out in the garden compost bin.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Waste of time and money, basically a rip off, imported trillions of plastic bins from abroad for some fad.
Most of the stuff goes into the huge monstrous places at the tip anyway, I have friends who work at the local tips, it's all a con.
Once again, backward britain trying to be a world leader.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pm Once again, backward britain trying to be a world leader.
Trying the appropriate word :tup:
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Its time that the manafacturer's are told to cut out plastic or face massive fines for the amount of plastic finding its way into our seas and
landfill. We are still a throw away society and it could be reduced greatly if we actually went back to the common sense of using glass or cans for all drinks and packaging must be wax paper. and cardboard.. Why! it costs manafacturing more money. I have 2 large bins and 3 smaller boxes which are full of packaging. I try and avoid plastic as much as I can but we can do as much as we can but production has to change before things get better.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I was on a beach in Kerry a few months back.
Beautiful scene, Atlantic rollers breaking on the shore and pushing up the beach until it slowed, stopped and finally ebbed away.

In every tide mark left on the sand was tiny pieces of plastic. The same stuff that is choking the marine life and affecting the delicate balance of this planet.

Feck sake lads stop making excuses and do your bit.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:11 pm Waste of time and money, basically a rip off, imported trillions of plastic bins from abroad for some fad.
Most of the stuff goes into the huge monstrous places at the tip anyway, I have friends who work at the local tips, it's all a con.
Once again, backward britain trying to be a world leader.
I'm with you mc. Big con. I wouldn't bother if it wasn't for Mr Swan. Glass yes, owt else no. Who makes money out of us patsies? In Babergh council (Suffolk where I live) we pay £50 per year for garden waste bin, we have recycling bin that will NOT take glass (why not? Seems everywhere else does) so we have to find glass recycling bins. OK, so one says clear glass only, one says coloured glass only. Next time it says any glass is OK. WTF? What a con.....
Grumpie Swannie :x
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The con is persuading people that their individual efforts will 'save the planet', so that the military industrial complex et al can carry on as usual.

Yes, we should recycle or, better still, not use in the first place, but it's a tiny piece of plastic in the ocean compared to the destruction being wreaked by corporate and military action.

Fundamentally, our attitude to the planet, and the other beings who share it with us, needs to change to one of lived relationship; it's not just a dead resource to be exploited. It can't carry on as it is.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:30 am I'm with you mc. Big con. I wouldn't bother if it wasn't for Mr Swan. Glass yes, owt else no. Who makes money out of us patsies? In Babergh council (Suffolk where I live) we pay £50 per year for garden waste bin, we have recycling bin that will NOT take glass (why not? Seems everywhere else does) so we have to find glass recycling bins. OK, so one says clear glass only, one says coloured glass only. Next time it says any glass is OK. WTF? What a con.....
Grumpie Swannie :x
It's not a con it is people trying to find solutions to problems of their own making Swannie.

You pay £1 a week for a bin. Is that really a problem?
Any glass is OK now because the solution melting multi coloured glass has been found.

How? Through people applying themselves to the problems at hand.

Do your bit.

You will feel better :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Anyone for a beach clean this morn ?
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Surely anyone who has enough Green waste that they require a bin for it should have a compost heap in their garden..
Even put your peelings etc and small amounts of cardboard in it.
Better than any compost you can buy.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It is a big con though Ian, we all agree we can do more, but we are only a very small island in the sea, look at spain for example, they don't give fuckero, have you seen the amount of plastic sheeting they let loose in the sand dunes when their fruit & veg covers blow over, all over the spanish islands it's a disgrace, then countries like china, india, usa etc, a complete joke.
We are pretending to be something we'll never be, a world loser more likely than a world leader, we are just punishing our own indigenous folk thats all, look at the immigrants that come here and treat it like the shithole theyve come from and expect us to clean up after them.
Go green !!!! Yea, we import the peat for £££trillions a year from canada instead of using our own stuff for fueling drax power station, the diesel thing was a con, now the plug in car is the same.
Yes, it's a big con alright.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"