Same Old England fall to Brasil

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Same Old England fall to Brasil

Post by Musicman1965 »

Did anyone watch the friendly game between England v Brasil yesterday? What are your thoughts? Where do you think we can improve?
For me it was another game that saw the glaring weakness in the England squad. Brasil should have wrapped up a comfortable victory inside 30 minutes as England never got going. Our defensive woos are pretty obvious but Southgate still sticks with the concrete slab from Easter Island McGuire.Its absolute madness playing a slow defensive central defender against Brasils forward line. Its a good job they didn't have someone lethal at CF or England could have been on the wrong end of a drubbing. Our best CB is Ben White and this guy doesn't want any part of the England setup? Why?
They always say learn from your mistakes, how long will it take Southgate to listen and make the obvious changes....
Your thoughts please!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Same Old England fall to Brasil

Post by Cjay »

Southgate is a crap manager, just get that out the way first.

He's a yes man who fell on his feet.

If you look at the teams he's beaten at major tournaments it's the most fortunate set of fixtures possible.

He picks his favourites, Henderson, Maguire etc.

He's fell out with Ben White as you say

He doesn't pick players based on form, or want to take risks.

Why not give Harvey Elliot a chance? Doing well for Liverpool.

Rico Lewis give him a chance?

Or even try some of the Championship stars? It's only friendlies after all.

I'd rather see Harwood-Bellis given a chance than sodding Madire.

Or Archie of course.

He's just dull and predictable and as evidence by performances without Kane recently he doesn't know what to do beyond pass it to Kane
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

He’s favourite for the Manure job 😂
That should end well. For the Manure haters of course 😁
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I didn't see it, first England game I've missed in many many years, went to a concert but there was a big screen around the back, 1 lad on his own watching it.
I've spoke to some moan utd fans this afternoon and they're saying it's not Mcguires fault !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

It really is quite simple and no rocket science.

Englands glaring weakness is at CH, all the way thru his tenure, it has been blindingly obvious, and the dummy can't fix it.

Kane, Foden, Saka, Bellingham, Rice are ALL successful for their respective managers at high club level, so quite simply, if you have a weakness, you play to your strengths, he doesn't.

Yes, it is that easy to fix.

Also, the lunatic doesn't have a scoobie how to play 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 attacking football, he is glued to 4-2-3-1 defensive first.

Unless the players take it into their own hands, we will only get as far as meeting the first decent team we come across, and that team won't necessarily have the better players, they will only need a better manager

Please let's keep him.

You heard it here first, and that was about the time he was appointed.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Oh and btw, he's an absolute dick imo, that is only trying to satisfy his own ego and make up for the diabolical penalty which i hope is his legacy, imo, he is trying to make amends for himself, putting himself first, and not England.

And he gets right on my feckin whick...on a similar level if not more than our previous resident clown, i detest listening to the borin prick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68650085
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

What is the point of sticking with that dope Maguire & also introducing Lewis Dunk to the Wembley faithful?

The young Brazilian stars must have been licking their lips with the prospect of playing against those two DAD types, who are ready for the knackers yard.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I didn't think England were as bad as some made out. Although we didn't test their keeper much we were in their box a lot. We had plenty of chances to score too.

Not too worried by the performance as a whole.

I do wish Southgate would drop Foden back into midfield. But he was restricted quite a bit up front.

Several forward players out.

I thought Gordon had a really good game. But he probably won't even make the squad in the summer.

Would like to have seen Branthwaite get a chance at the back.

I don't think Chilwell was that bad other than a couple of miscued long shots. He's only just back from an injury. It's going to be really important to have Chilwell or Shaw available.

Bring in Kane and Saka and we look a whole lot different.
Phild
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Phild »

Foden Bellingham Sakha stones Kane rice
All nailed on starters
Problems lie with the other 4 outfield choices which are defensive positions
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Phild wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:19 pm Foden Bellingham Sakha stones Kane rice
All nailed on starters
Problems lie with the other 4 outfield choices which are defensive positions
Pickford and Walker are certainties. Either Chilwell or Shaw at left back is fine.

Leaves 2 questions: Maguire. And who else plays in midfield. Against weak opposition, I'd play Foden in midfield and bring in another attacker. Against teams like Brazil, we need one more holding mid next to Rice. With Phillips so off form, I don't know who that is.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:44 am I didn't think England were as bad as some made out. Although we didn't test their keeper much we were in their box a lot. We had plenty of chances to score too.

Not too worried by the performance as a whole.

I do wish Southgate would drop Foden back into midfield. But he was restricted quite a bit up front.

Several forward players out.

I thought Gordon had a really good game. But he probably won't even make the squad in the summer.

Would like to have seen Branthwaite get a chance at the back.

I don't think Chilwell was that bad other than a couple of miscued long shots. He's only just back from an injury. It's going to be really important to have Chilwell or Shaw available.

Bring in Kane and Saka and we look a whole lot different.
Don't remember us creating many clear cut chances?

Brazil had more of those imo by a distance.

For me when you look at that Brazil defence, 4 debutants, 2 of whom have never played outside Brazil

1 of them a 20 year old kid currently a bit part prospect at PSG.

And 2 are past there prime over 30 full backs who had decent careers but hardly Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

We had Bellingham whose probably the best player in the world right now.

Foden whose not far behind

And Gordon and Watkins, ok not world beaters but having very decent club seasons.

Against that cobbled together defence we should atleast be creating chances at will.

We didn't, and that for me is a worry because it's the attack areas we should be fine.

It's the defence thats the worry in theory.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Southgate is England’s biggest worry.
Get a proper manager in and England should be winning things.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We're headed into Southgate's 4th major tournament. With the way the draws have fallen for us and the quality we have plus other world greats on a down curve. (Italy/Germany) We should have had one major tournament to our names and a probably a second final

I think GS needs to win this one but I'm not sure his brand of anti-football gets it done
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"