Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

Tuesday 9th April 8:00pm | Elland Road

Leeds must recover from their post International Break blues as they prepare for the visit of Sunderland on Tuesday evening. Daniel Farke's side endured a disappointing defeat against Coventry City, halting their impressive 14-game unbeaten run. The loss has prompted discussions regarding potential changes to the lineup, with Farke facing a dilemma over whether to stick with the proven squad that has garnered 38 points out of a possible 45 this year or introduce fresh faces to reignite their form.

On the flip side, Sunderland's journey to Elland Road comes amid their own struggles, having stumbled in seven of their last ten games. Their recent 5-1 thrashing at the hands of Blackburn Rovers at the Stadium of Light underscored their downturn in form, coinciding with injuries to key players like Jack Clarke, who only recently returned to action after recovering from an ankle ligament injury.

In terms of team news, Leeds have no fresh injury concerns, with Ilia Gruev, Connor Roberts, and Wilfred Gnonto all returning to action after picking up knocks while on international duty. However, the absence of Jamie Shackleton, Pascal Struijk, and Stuart Dallas due to injuries remains a concern for Farke's side. Sunderland, on the other hand, faces several injury woes with Niall Huggins, Jenson Seelt, Dennis Cirkin, and Nazariy Rusyn all ruled out for the visitors. But the return of Jack Clarke from injury provides a glimmer of hope for Sunderland as they aim to secure a positive result against Leeds.

With both teams desperate for a much-needed victory, the clash at Elland Road promises to be a fiercely contested affair. Leeds will be determined to rediscover their winning ways and reignite their promotion push, while Sunderland will look to capitalize on their opponent's recent struggles and secure a vital three points in their bid to climb up the Championship table.

Expect an intriguing battle between two sides hungry for success as Leeds United and Sunderland lock horns in what is set to be a pivotal encounter in the Championship campaign.

Spring Offer! Get NordVPN with up to 66% off + 3 months free...

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Sunderland pre match chat

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:10 pm Need a reaction and need a win.

Will we see changes?

Sunderland have injury issues.
Nial Huggins
Jenson Seelt
Dennis Cerkin
Eliot Embleton
Nazariy Rusyn

All out or a doubt.

Jack Clarke only recently back from injury
Jack Clarke played 90 yesterday. So looks like we'll have to deal with him. Niall Huggins not involved. Leo Hjelde started at left back.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Saturday's result means we've suddenly run out of wriggle room and the 3 points against Sunderland have become absolutely vital.

The problem however is we've not won convincingly for some time and I'm not sure we'll be good enough to get the win. Crazy to think like that after the amazing run we've been on but whilst our results have been consistently good the actual performances have been too workmanlike to inspire confidence and belief.

Bottom line is we're now on a bit of a wing and prayer if truth be told, or at least that's how it feels.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Roberts
Firpo
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
Gnonto
Gray
Fernandez
Georginio
Summerville

for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:03 pm Meslier
Roberts
Firpo
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
Gnonto
Gray
Fernandez
Georginio
Summerville

for me
Think I'd save Roberts for a big push near the end if needed especially as he probably not 100%.

Joseph also would be a big call and have to admit I'm not sure which way to go on that one.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United v Sunderland
Tuesday 9th April@20:00 | Elland Road

Leeds must recover from their post International Break blues as they prepare for the visit of Sunderland on Tuesday evening.

A very average Coventry side destroyed their 14 game unbeaten run at the weekend, leading to calls for Daniel Farke to freshen his team up! The gaffer is in a catch twenty-two situation. Does he make changes to a side who have picked up thirty eight out of a possible forty-five points year to date, or hope they can rediscover their form, and quickly!

The Black Cats have lost seven out of their last ten games, including a 5-1 thrashing at the Stadium of Light against Blackburn. Their slide down the table coincided with an ankle ligament injury to Jack Clarke late February. He returned to action last weekend, a 0-0 draw against Bristol City.

Jenson Seelt (groin), Dennis Cirkin (hamstring), Former Leeds left back Niall Huggins (groin) and Nazariy Rusyn (knock) are all ruled out for the visitors. Leo Hjelde play play against the Whites for the first time since joining Sunderland in January.

Leeds have no fresh injury concerns. Ilia Gruev, Connor Roberts and Wilfred Gnonto all returned to action on Saturday, having picked up knocks whilst representing their respective Countries. Jamie Shackleton, Pascal Struijk and Stuart Dallas remain sidelined!
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I think DF may play Piroe in place of Paddy on Tuesday, relying on Mateo for impact off the bench if required.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Sunderland Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Roberts
Firpo
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
Gnonto
Gray
Fernandez
Georginio
Summerville

for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:00 pm I think DF may play Piroe in place of Paddy on Tuesday, relying on Mateo for impact off the bench if required.
Good call as Piroe started in our 4-0 win at Swansea when we flew out of the traps and also the the win at Plymouth which followed.

Bamford has done nothing wrong though with important goals recently against Huddersfield, Leicester and Sheff Wed. Plus he also scored against Rotherham which means 4 goals in the last 11 games so nowhere near as bad as some make out.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I wouldn't start Piroe as the 9...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:02 pm Meslier
Roberts
Firpo
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
Gnonto
Gray
Fernandez
Georginio
Summerville

for me
Surely Bamford can't start!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:20 pm I wouldn't start Piroe as the 9...
Piroe behind Joseph?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm Piroe behind Joseph?
I'd drop Rodon before I'd drop Geo.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm Piroe behind Joseph?
I don’t think this is a bad shout - Geo is not 100%. I would be inclined to use him for the last 30 mins.

But we all know that DF does not make changes unless enforced. I do not think it is nailed on that Gnonto will start either.

I would not be surprised if it is the same line-up as per the Coventry game.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:54 pm I don’t think this is a bad shout - Geo is not 100%. I would be inclined to use him for the last 30 mins.

But we all know that DF does not make changes unless enforced. I do not think it is nailed on that Gnonto will start either.

I would not be surprised if it is the same line-up as per the Coventry game.
Me neither. He brought on Roberts at half time. But waited until really late to bring on Gnonto. That tells me he's not quite there on fitness yet. Expect to see him get a longer run off the bench this time though.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm Surely Bamford can't start!
I hope he doesn't, but Farke, like a number of other coaches in the past, has shown amazing loyalty to a player whose contributing nothing.

He should not get the near the pitch while Joseph and Piroe are fit and available. Last three matches he's been horrendous.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I would definitely start Roberts and move Gray into midfield in place of Kamara.
I would start Joseph as well in place of Bamford as well.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Quite astonishing how many people wish to rip up the Kamara and Gruev partnership that has served us so well.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Since the intl break it has become quite clear he's been asking the players to play differently, whilst he rests and nurses some, he nearly got away with it, but he hasn't.

Bar Kamara, whose obviously been playing thru some sort of illness affecting his engine, which in itself has affected the overall 'team' performance, but otherwise it has backfired, basically coz they're not good enough to play 2 different games as effectively as the other, and individuals look a helluva lot worse.

We SHOULD resume ' service is returned to normal' coz we're at home for the next 2 (thank the feckin Lord) (he should also continue with the same 'home tactics' for the rest of the away games the feckin loonie) and i for one pray he does that.

And the team WILL be -

Mes
Gray - Rodon - Ampadu - Firpo
Gruev - Kamara
Gnonto - Rutter - Jimmy
Bamford

That's if ALL are fit to start (see how i've covered mysen there)

With excellent timely introductions of - James, Joseph, Roberts and Piroe, when the 'gaffer' sees fit.

Every single one of them now should be expected to go thru the pain barrier till season end, and run thru brick walls.

And ffs DF, please please just put your foot back on the gas till season end, that in itself should suffice barring injuries.

Ta da,

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

DFs teamsheet as of Monday morning reads:

1. Meslier
9. Bamford

To be continued…
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.