January 2023 Transfers and Squad Discussion-

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1corvus1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: January 2023 Transfers and Squad Discussion

Post by 1corvus1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:14 pm You should have posted that under a different thread. But I do agree. Still baffled by yesterday's decision. How many times do we have to be the cause of VAR inquest? They changed the offside rule after Bamford's arm was offside against Palace. They had an inquest after the Brentford penalties. And now they need another inquest.
agree even with var sometimes it's not obvious but the foul on mes was so blatant it's hard to get your head around why it wasn't given
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

SG90 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:57 pm About £12m would be decent tbh. I think he has as much potential as Almiron, so would be a decent signing. Maybe supplement with a few loans, as can't see us spending much (if at all)?
I think we could have both Sebastian Driussi and Kai Wagner for about $20m. That's two MLS Best Eleven players. Send Joffy out on loan and sell Harrison to raise the funds if necessary.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:43 pm I agree that Driussi will likely get a work permit. For all the reasons you cited.

His current valuation is about $15m. Which would be an amazing bargain for us. Austin FC paid $7m for his services which I think was mostly helping the player buy out his remaining contract with Zenit.

Austin FC play out of a 4-2-3-1 pressing system that is very similar to ours. Which means I think he could slot right in much like Aaronson, Adams, and Kristensen did. That is always an important consideration when adding players in the January window.
Bit suspicious of the quality of the MLS now tbh.

It's taken years for Almiron to find this sort of form, this is his 5th season in England, Driussi would be 32.

Taty Castellanos was meant to be the next big thing but is struggling in La Liga.

Hany Mukhtar has just won all sorts of awards in the MLS ahead of Driussi after struggling in even the Austrian league.

I know there are some bright younger talents in the MLS now like Almada and Talles Magno and it may be a good learning curve for younger players.

Or even players 23,24 like Almiron.

But for players in there mid to late 20s like Driussi and Mukhtar I am unconvinced. 26,27,28.

Same with Wagner whose 26 in a few months.

If we sign him hope to be wrong but not so sure?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:18 pm Why would they loan Chris Wood? If they still see him as part of their squad, they'll keep him. If they don't they'll sell him. Newcastle would gain nothing by loaning Wood out. When he returns from loan they'll have signed better players.
They're likely to go in for Moussa Diaby again, so he will become further down the pecking order.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:51 pm Bit suspicious of the quality of the MLS now tbh.

It's taken years for Almiron to find this sort of form, this is his 5th season in England, Driussi would be 32.

Taty Castellanos was meant to be the next big thing but is struggling in La Liga.

Hany Mukhtar has just won all sorts of awards in the MLS ahead of Driussi after struggling in even the Austrian league.

I know there are some bright younger talents in the MLS now like Almada and Talles Magno and it may be a good learning curve for younger players.

Or even players 23,24 like Almiron.

But for players in there mid to late 20s like Driussi and Mukhtar I am unconvinced. 26,27,28.

Same with Wagner whose 26 in a few months.

If we sign him hope to be wrong but not so sure?
MLS is a Football/Futbol/Soccer league not a conspiracy. No need to be "suspicious" of it... :roflmao:

Feel free to build whatever narrative you want. It's all subjective. Except for the factual parts.

Almiron walked right into the Newcastle starting eleven from day one. But it HAS taken him 4 years to become the prolific goal scorer he was in Atlanta. Of course the changes in Managers and systems probably had nothing to do with that right? Steve Bruce ffs....

Exactly WHO said that Taty Castallanos was supposed to be the "next big thing"? He is a player that improved his game in MLS and earned a move to La Liga. In his first 14 matches with Girona, all as a starter, he has 3 goals. The club currently sits 14th in the table. They were a favorite to be relegated before the season started. The fact he hasn't performed like a Golden Boot winner means he's "struggling"????

Hany Mukhtar scored more goals in MLS than Sebastian Driussi this year. And Mukhtar didn't take the Austrian league by storm in his six month loan from Benfica to RB Salzburg back in 2015-16. So that information informs your opinion that he probably would not succeed at Leeds? That's an interesting line of reasoning...It's funny you cited that loan to Salzburg and not the subsequent 3 seasons with Brondby where he scored 24 goals in 106 league matches. But hey, we are building a narrative here.... :lol:

I'm just commenting on MLS players that have been linked to LUFC. I happen to know a lot more about the league than most people here. But I'm not pushing these players over other options. If there are better players out there that we can actually sign I'm all for it. I think a Central Attacking Mid and a Left Back are our two highest priorities. And I offered my reasoning for that in a previous post.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:00 am MLS is a Football/Futbol/Soccer league not a conspiracy. No need to be "suspicious" of it... :roflmao:

Suspicious of its quality

Feel free to build whatever narrative you want. It's all subjective. Except for the factual parts.

Almiron walked right into the Newcastle starting eleven from day one. But it HAS taken him 4 years to become the prolific goal scorer he was in Atlanta. Of course the changes in Managers and systems probably had nothing to do with that right? Steve Bruce ffs....

May have had something to do with it but good players find a way, he was literally used as a joke to mock another footballer not long ago. Point was you sign players for an instant impact, he didn't provide one and up until 6 months ago was considered a flop,.

Exactly WHO said that Taty Castallanos was supposed to be the "next big thing"? He is a player that improved his game in MLS and earned a move to La Liga. In his first 14 matches with Girona, all as a starter, he has 3 goals. The club currently sits 14th in the table. They were a favorite to be relegated before the season started. The fact he hasn't performed like a Golden Boot winner means he's "struggling"????

You spent ages on here telling us how hed be a good signing for us and was a quality player etc. Maybe one day but is he good enough for the Premier League? His spell in Spain suggests not despite scoring for fun in the mls.

Hany Mukhtar scored more goals in MLS than Sebastian Driussi this year. And Mukhtar didn't take the Austrian league by storm in his six month loan from Benfica to RB Salzburg back in 2015-16. So that information informs your opinion that he probably would not succeed at Leeds? That's an interesting line of reasoning...It's funny you cited that loan to Salzburg and not the subsequent 3 seasons with Brondby where he scored 24 goals in 106 league matches. But hey, we are building a narrative here.... :lol:

I was being kind actually not highlighting that his only successful spell pre MLS was in Denmark which according to Uefa rankings is a weaker league than Austria, Ukraine, Switzerland, Norway, Serbia etc. I highlighted Austria because obviously its comparative with players we have. Does the fact he is nearly 28 and has never played in a stronger league in Europe than the one ranked 17th make me think he wouldn't be able to make an instant impact (as signings of his age are expected to do) in the top ranked league in the world? Yes.

I'm just commenting on MLS players that have been linked to LUFC. I happen to know a lot more about the league than most people here. But I'm not pushing these players over other options. If there are better players out there that we can actually sign I'm all for it. I think a Central Attacking Mid and a Left Back are our two highest priorities. And I offered my reasoning for that in a previous post.
Fair enough.

Was just pointing out my concerns and you got all defensive :)

I'm sure you do know more about the MLS than me.

But the perception of it is its a retirement league for ex superstars or a tryout for young kids to get some experience.

Where is the evidence it is a place where players in there prime can shine and then go on to make an immediate impact in the top European leagues?

Obviously that is what we would need.

So that's what I'm asking, examples etc.

If there are some then please share (maybe there are I don't know) it would be nice to hear of some.
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:54 am Was just pointing out my concerns and you got all defensive :)
Not defensive Cjay. Just challenging your extrapolations. I think they are off base. You seem to find some predictive logic in it. I disagree with your thinking. I think it's unfair to say that Player A is likely to fail because Player B did. Or to say that players from League X are risky because other players from League X underachieved. By that standard we would never sign anyone from the Dutch league again....
Football/Futbol/Soccer
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:54 amBut the perception of it is its a retirement league for ex superstars or a tryout for young kids to get some experience.
It's not really anymore, it's mostly full of South American wonderkids now lol.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

SG90 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:10 pm They're likely to go in for Moussa Diaby again, so he will become further down the pecking order.
But they'll sell him rather than loan him. FFP. By the time he comes back from loan, Newcastle will have jumped even further forward.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:32 am But they'll sell him rather than loan him. FFP. By the time he comes back from loan, Newcastle will have jumped even further forward.
No one will pay what they paid though. Wages off the books is better for the balance sheet.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:21 am Not defensive Cjay. Just challenging your extrapolations. I think they are off base. You seem to find some predictive logic in it. I disagree with your thinking. I think it's unfair to say that Player A is likely to fail because Player B did. Or to say that players from League X are risky because other players from League X underachieved. By that standard we would never sign anyone from the Dutch league again....
Fair enough.

I see your point.

Just think that certain leagues have a history of providing players who make an immediate impact.

The MLS hasn't yet managed that.

Hence the risk.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I think we need a couple of English battle hardened CBs in January. Newcastle for example got Dan Burn and Matt Targett last year to shore them up. Like Nat Phillips on loan would be good. But we know Orta will prefer a couple of Spanish defenders who do the odd Cryuff turn.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm I think we need a couple of English battle hardened CBs in January. Newcastle for example got Dan Burn and Matt Targett last year to shore them up. Like Nat Phillips on loan would be good. But we know Orta will prefer a couple of Spanish defenders who do the odd Cryuff turn.
A fan on another forum is adamant he bumped into Orta at a train station.

Asked him whether we were making signings in January.

To which Victor replied "I hope so, we have no funds".

On the one hand you think it's ridiculous, no senior member of a Professional Premier league clubs staff would say that.

Then you remember it's Victor Orta and actually he probably would :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:10 pm A fan on another forum is adamant he bumped into Orta at a train station.

Asked him whether we were making signings in January.

To which Victor replied "I hope so, we have no funds".

On the one hand you think it's ridiculous, no senior member of a Professional Premier league clubs staff would say that.

Then you remember it's Victor Orta and actually he probably would :lol:
:lol:

You would hope the fan asked where the TV money is going then?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:16 pm :lol:

You would hope the fan asked where the TV money is going then?
On JKA . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:21 pmOn JKA . . . .
That £600m debt to China won't pay itself ;-)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:21 pmOn JKA . . . .
Didn't Kinnear claim two years ago they already set the Big Kev money aside? Presume he thinks we've all forgotten :lol:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Don't know why you bothered with this thread CJay, it just gets our hopes up! They'll spend all month pretending to sign Gakpo, we'll sign no one, Kinnear will make excuses and say we can't block Perkins and Hjelde's pathway etc.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:31 pm Fair enough.

I see your point.

Just think that certain leagues have a history of providing players who make an immediate impact.

The MLS hasn't yet managed that.

Hence the risk.
And I see your point.

Part of our disagreement probably has to do with subjectivity or maybe semantics. How do we define "immediate impact"?

Most of the MLS players that have come to the EPL over the years have become starters pretty quickly if not right away. They made an "immediate impact" because they displaced another player in the lineup. Presumably as an upgrade.

Another way to interpret "Immediate impact" is to examine expectations. I'll use Taty Castellanos for this example.

If the expectation was that Castellanos would move to a Top Five league and bang in goals at the same rate he did in MLS then a person would be disappointed. It could be argued that he has not made an "immediate impact". Even if he is an upgrade over what you had in his position. That is purely subjective.

So what were the expectations? That Castellanos could be purchased for $15m and he would come over and in his first season bang in 20 goals like he did in MLS? Because that's an unreasonable expectation. Show me where in Europe you can buy a striker for that price that will come in and produce like that right away. I would suggest that market does not exist today.

Castellanos has been in the starting eleven since day one at Girona. He has 3 goals in the first 14 games of his La Liga career. And he could very well finish the season on 8 or 10 goals. I wonder how many Leeds fans would have been happy to take that production for that price?

Anyway, it's an interesting conversation. Cheers!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Reports in Spain linking us to Osasuna attacker Argentinian gangster Chimy Ávila (not an actual gangster but admits to some violence in the past when growing up).

He is from Rosario and is 28 years old.

Has managed 6 goals and 1 assist in La Liga this season.

Talented lad as his YouTube video will show.

But at nearly 29 he has done his cruciate twice (one in each leg).

Few years back he was seriously considered by Barcelona, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid.

Very talented.

But those 2 serious injuries in his prime stopped those moves.

Shame really as talent wise he'd be a fan favourite I'd imagine.

But surely to risky for us?
Signed

King Cjay