The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote: Rating ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! FFS Leon - hard enough to stay awake as it is mate! :twisted:
I thought you liked jazz Twiggs, probably too smooth for you rough neck jazz fans :lol:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

I LOVE decent jazz Leon...soz but THAT is muzak... :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote: OMG! It's the Eagles meets Tom Petty at his worst....FM elevator rock :shock:

DBT's have much better songs tho...I like em - but not that track!
And what are wrong with the Eagles/Petty Twiggs :?:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote:Can't stop playing an album that popped through the letterbox this morning, on my 5th play of the day.

Think of legends such as Brown, Green, Cooke, Redding, Gaye, etc & along comes a soul singer who has been around for years & produces an album of immense soulful quality. The album was released in 2009 with 8 textured soul songs & 3 delightful instrumentals from his band. Had i heard this album last year it would have been in my top 10 albums of the year poll we had on the dark side.

I give you;

My World by Lee Fields & The Expressions - RATING - 9/10

Btw - thanks to the Duck on the dark side who recommended this gem to me months ago
That's an interesting score Leon - only a 1 point difference between that and Otis Blue/Live At The Apollo/What's Going On or Stevie's unbeaten run of 4 for instance. You're obviously onto a winner there 8-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:I LOVE decent jazz Leon...soz but THAT is muzak... :roll:
Snobbery in jazz music eh :)

How come is it that i enjoy Davis/Coltrane/Adderley/Morgan/Byrd/Jarrett/Wilson/Getz/etc Toooooooooooooooooo :?:
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

Yes, Twiggs
What is wrong with The Eagles and Tom Petty

(Eagles up to Desperado, - odd track off Hotel California, and a few others since)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote: That's an interesting score Leon - only a 1 point difference between that and Otis Blue/Live At The Apollo/What's Going On or Stevie's unbeaten run of 4 for instance. You're obviously onto a winner there 8-)
Maybe i exaggerated the rating - i'll give it 8 then, certainly not 10 star stuff but i think it's cool 8-)
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

revie-era wrote:Yes, Twiggs

(Eagles up to Desperado, -)
Loved em up to then mate...elevator muzak after that tho! :evil:

Petty, up to Refuguee - then see my above point about the eagles.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

revie-era wrote:Yes, Twiggs

(Eagles up to Desperado, - odd track off Hotel California, and a few others since)
Yes first 4/5 Eagles albums are fine by me

Desperado is a classic - 10 star stuff & i'm not reducing my rating on this one :-D
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

revie-era wrote:
I remember having a "dad son bonding" session, when I sang that song for my old man with my guitar at a family party, when I was 18 and he was in his early 50's..We both cried and made up old differences and it was a wonderful experience...after not communicating for 5 years.
I love my dad..and that song just says it all...

revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

Twiggster wrote: I remember having a "dad son bonding" session, when I sang that song for my old man with my guitar at a family party, when I was 18 and he was in his early 50's..We both cried and made up old differences and it was a wonderful experience...after not communicating for 5 years.
I love my dad..and that song just says it all...

The power of music, mate

Great story, Twiggs
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: Maybe i exaggerated the rating - i'll give it 8 then, certainly not 10 star stuff but i think it's cool 8-)

Just out of interest, although I play the ratings game on here I never even thought about star ratings for my albums before the MD thread on waccoe. I just have lots of albums I couldn't bear to be without - an essential part of my life. How they score is of no consequence really. For one reason or another they mean something to me [and the mrs]. The Pretender would be a great example - is it a 10 star, who knows. All I do know is that in our quiet moments it's one of the first albums me and the mrs turn to - the words/the playing/the mood etc are just right when all you want to do is lay back and let the music drift over you. Some would say Late For The Sky is better etc and some would say Browne is no better than easy listening I dare say but eh ho that album is an essential part of our life and has been from the week of it's release. London calling is another example where me and the mrs are as one although I turn to the first album or Sandinista in preference. But my life wouldn't be complete without those and other great albums. Great albums almost always have great covers as well - the whole package has to be right. And that's about the size of it really - a skip load of great albums which I find difficult to separate. The good news is I don't have to - other than on here :lol:

Here's something that pushes my boat out while I'm on:

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

revie-era wrote: The power of music, mate

Great story, Twiggs
"I'm a lot like you are"...I sang to him! How true was that?
We both ended up being cantankerous old cants! :lol:
But luckily we still both love life - and each other! :thup:

Dad just turned 80...last January...I can't get back to Leeds that much owing to poverty...next time I'm over, I'll sing it to him again! :-D
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

revie-era wrote:

Nice to see you giving that album a push revie - a superb record. Due to be released before Harvest I believe but held over forever (almost).
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

revie-era wrote:

Back to organic farming I think revie :wink:

revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

Hey WR

Loved the Jackson Browne Story. Me and the mrs are also touched by JB.
The year before we were married (1982), we had a sneaky holiday in Ibiza. Browsing in one of the markets, a fella was selling tapes, - among them was a Jackson Browne - Running on Empty - which I bought.
We got chatting to the waiters back at the small hotel where we were staying who had a tape machine playing background music round the pool, - I remember Hot Space by Queen being played a lot.
Anyway, I asked if they'd put ROE on- which they did, and it's stayed with us ever since.
As you say, would it be a 10* albumn? who knows, but to us, definitely
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Nowt wrong with a bit of JB!! Excellent songs he writes. :thup:

Great story, Revie Era!!! :)
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

Re the Neil Young track

I watched a re run of Do Not Be Denied, - NY documentary on BBC4 the other night. It featured that clip, absolutely great stuff, never seen the great man live myself but every clip I've seen, his performance is electric, either acoustic or full on grunge.

Not a fan of Opeth myself, but listened with an open mind to some of their "melodic" stuff (death cookie monster vocals are definitely not for me).
Just thought a few on here might be surprised to hear 'em do that sort of thing.