Michael Tonge...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Michael Tonge...

Post by 1964white »

Wasn't sure about Tonge when Warnock gave him the opportunity to play in the white shirt of Leeds

Tonge has really surprised me :o he always had a quality touch when he was at the Blunts but tbh even at 29yo i thought he was past his best...Tonge has a sweet right foot & has already scored two cracking goals for us

Do we sign Tonge up in the January window or offer him a loan deal until the end of the season ?
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Michael Tonge...

Post by Twiggster »

As I replied on this thread on wacko this morning - end of season loan. :tup:

Shame such a great goal from him was overlooked at hillsboro, in the ensuing melee. Sky never showed a replay even - just the wonker smacking the keeper.

I liked Tonge's body language and effort on the pitch last Friday and I'd score him highest of all our players in that game. :tup:
JACKtheKNIGHT
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JACKtheKNIGHT »

Me too :tup:
http://www.50cheaprecipes.com/?usr=JackTheKnight

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending there injured - rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending there not!
Bakerjamessteven
First Team
First Team

Michael Tonge...

Post by Bakerjamessteven »

Season long loan, he's ok and doing ok, but I still want see better signings
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

Bakerjamessteven wrote:Season long loan, he's ok and doing ok, but I still want see better signings
Who exactly do you want to sign?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

You can tell Tonge & Diouf have played in the prem as they are our only two players who look comfortable with a football at their feet :shock:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:You can tell Tonge & Diouf have played in the prem as they are our only two players who look comfortable with a football at their feet :shock:
True Leon, but Diouf couldn't run a bath! Warnock needs to think about playing him 'in the hole' where he can pick a pass, unlock a defence without slowing the game down (I'm with riot on this one :shock: ). Hall and Byram on the wings, Becchio/Gray and Ross Mac (when he returns) up top. Played properly, that lot could be handful, imo
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:
True Leon, but Diouf couldn't run a bath! Warnock needs to think about playing him 'in the hole' where he can pick a pass, unlock a defence without slowing the game down (I'm with riot on this one :shock: ). Hall and Byram on the wings, Becchio/Gray and Ross Mac (when he returns) up top. Played properly, that lot could be handful, imo
I agree Nick but his vision is different class, sees openings & options other players can only dream about...Warnock needs to get his thinking cap on & play his players in the correct positions...it's not rocket science !
lynchy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by lynchy »

Kyle_5351 wrote:
Who exactly do you want to sign?

ronaldo..messi....silva....iniesta.. any of these will do :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:
I agree Nick but his vision is different class, sees openings & options other players can only dream about...Warnock needs to get his thinking cap on & play his players in the correct positions...it's not rocket science !
If we can see it, then why can't he? Diouf holding the ball up well is good, but it does allow the opposition's defenders to get their shape back etc; get it and give it, at pace, is potentially much more potent. Though it is reliant on others in our side being up with play, either on the overlap or breaking from midfield. But, as you say, even that's not rocket science, it's what we should be looking to do every chance we can
yeboOAAAH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by yeboOAAAH »

1964white wrote:Wasn't sure about Tonge when Warnock gave him the opportunity to play in the white shirt of Leeds

Tonge has really surprised me :o he always had a quality touch when he was at the Blunts but tbh even at 29yo i thought he was past his best...Tonge has a sweet right foot & has already scored two cracking goals for us

Do we sign Tonge up in the January window or offer him a loan deal until the end of the season ?

Season long loan - Other than Gradel who was consistently brilliant for us, I can't think of many loanies who have gone on to become brilliant players after a complete signing. Experience showed in the game against Everton when put on the wing to compromise Baines - I thought he was excellent. A long with what was touched upon up there (I've not exactly strained myself looking) but when sighting for a replay against Sheff Wed. I couldn't find his goal anywhere. All highlights were dominated by Aaron Crawley! :cry:
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

when he first came it showed he had not played 1st team football for a while but now seems so be getting back to some kind of form unsure if we need him after loan expires as we do seem to be a bit overloaded with midfield players.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:when he first came it showed he had not played 1st team football for a while but now seems so be getting back to some kind of form unsure if we need him after loan expires as we do seem to be a bit overloaded with midfield players.
Agreed, we appear a lttle top heavy in the middle of the park. However, if everyone's fit, I'd be more inclined to keep Tonge at the expense of Varney and maybe Norris. Tonge does have some Prem experience, which could prove useful when we get to the sharp end of the season, whereas Varney is shite and I'm yet to be convinced by Norris. Just my view, of course!
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

lufc1304 wrote:
Agreed, we appear a lttle top heavy in the middle of the park. However, if everyone's fit, I'd be more inclined to keep Tonge at the expense of Varney and maybe Norris. Tonge does have some Prem experience, which could prove useful when we get to the sharp end of the season, whereas Varney is shite and I'm yet to be convinced by Norris. Just my view, of course!
Yes can understand where you are coming from a sregards to Varney the main problem i see with him is we do own him so would have to be placed on transfer list.I think norris could do a job the one player i have doubts over is Green although to be fair to him we have hardly seen him play.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:
If we can see it, then why can't he? Diouf holding the ball up well is good, but it does allow the opposition's defenders to get their shape back etc; get it and give it, at pace, is potentially much more potent. Though it is reliant on others in our side being up with play, either on the overlap or breaking from midfield. But, as you say, even that's not rocket science, it's what we should be looking to do every chance we can
All our managers have committed the ultimate sin of players out of their natural position...players at this level are not good enough to carry out such duties...crazy !
Last edited by 1964white on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote:when he first came it showed he had not played 1st team football for a while but now seems so be getting back to some kind of form unsure if we need him after loan expires as we do seem to be a bit overloaded with midfield players.
Yes but Tonge has a touch of quality...says it all for me !
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

1964white wrote:
Yes but Tonge has a touch of quality...says it all for me !

Agree..... we will ALWAYS need better players that we already have, what's the point in accepting less?
:duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Drs.Dad wrote:

Agree..... we will ALWAYS need better players that we already have, what's the point in accepting less?
:duno:
After losing very good players such as my favourites Beckford, Howson & Gradel, to see quality experienced players that have played in the prem at Leeds has given me hope....made me smile again :)
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

1964white wrote:
After losing very good players such as my favourites Beckford, Howson & Gradel, to see quality experienced players that have played in the prem at Leeds has given me hope....made me smile again :)

I'll bring me camera tomorrow night, this I must see! :wink:
yorkshiremackem
First Team
First Team

Post by yorkshiremackem »

loan till end of season will do, only as good as pugh in my opinion