Kiko Casilla

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 am I made the point in the matchday thread that Kiko made the saves that needed making and kept us from going behind and potentially losing the game. This is a major difference to last year when BPF seemed to let in goals that should have been routine saves and we then went on to lose games. Even the little things like when he came off his line to block Wilkes (when KP forced Wilkes wide) shows the benefit of having a keeper that reads the play as if he'd stayed on his line Wilkes would have got to the ball and been able to have a shot.
One of the best signings we've made Weasel

Kiko is not only a keeper, he plays the role of a last ditch defender

Some fans behind me were saying 'What the fook is he doing'.....my answer was "he is obeying orders from Bielsa, that's the reason Marcelo signed a footballing keeper"

Kiko is as cool as a cucumber :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Brilliant today and really helped us out with the height disadvantage.

Two best keepers in the league on show today imo.

Kiko is fast becoming Mr Consistent
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Cjay wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pm Brilliant today and really helped us out with the height disadvantage.

Two best keepers in the league on show today imo.

Kiko is fast becoming Mr Consistent
Totally agree mate, he saved us big time my MOTM, but must add only saw the last 20 mins
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 18.36.57.png
Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 18.36.57.png (247.95 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Daily Mail reporting that Kiko will be found guilty and is looking at a ban of between 8-12 games.

I dont believe he is a racist tbh, seems a popular lad and did at Madrid to.

Not to say he didnt say something racist but i think their is a difference.

Be very disappointed in him if he is found guilty.

Stupid and saying racist things is totally wrong.

Oh Kiko i hope you are innocent
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Seems bizarre FA uses lip readers, Spanish interpreters to try and make the case against him when it allowed it's own players to be subjected to appalling abuse recently when it could have "sent out a message" by calling their players off the pitch but lacked the bottle to do so.

I knew the fiasco in Bulgaria would rebound on Casilla.

Idiot if guilty.

More negative headlines coming our way.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

If this is true then Kiko is indefensibile.

If you thought the media had a feeding frenzy over Spygate, then this will be hugely magnified.

There must be some clear evidence if the FA is prepared to slap him this hard.

Shame, as he's hit top form this season, and along with Ben White, has been a major player in our great defensive record.

I guess Meslier, or Miazek, get to stake their claim and prove MB correct in saying that he has sufficient coverage throughout our squad.

I've got to say that if this is true, then Kiko is an absolute idiot. Racism in sport is a burning issue, globally and across every sport. So to put himself, and us, at the forefront of attention is incredibly naive. Just when the three Derby idiots had managed to take the spotlight off us, one of our most experienced pros effectively puts a burning cross on his front lawn.

No accounting for the stupidity of footballers, going back a long time, but Bowyer and Woodgate were a factor in our loss of momentum/distraction at the time and this may have a similar effect.
Dietkebab
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Dietkebab »

This won’t be a popular opinion but if found guilty I believe Leeds should fire him.

The club should condemn his actions and take the most extreme disciplinary action possible which I guess this could come under gross misconduct or bringing the club into disrepute.

He has come good but as a club we have to show we won’t stand for it in any way at all.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Been thinking about this s lot.

To be fair until society is prepared to have proper discussion about racism and what constitutes it organisations like the FA will struggle to come to grips with players who fall foul of those who are deemed to be guilty of it.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

If guilty then he has to be punished but why is he looking at 8-12 games this is totally out of line with previous cases and not forgetting the £10K fine for Millwall and the £65k for Bulgaria. Complete inconsistency from the authorities
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:28 am If guilty then he has to be punished but why is he looking at 8-12 games this is totally out of line with previous cases and not forgetting the £10K fine for Millwall and the £65k for Bulgaria. Complete inconsistency from the authorities
It's Leeds, EFL etc, why bring this to the fore before a crucial game?? thats pretty obvious, like spygate etc, all manipulated to attempt to derail us ...if Kiko, is guilty it would have been sorted weeks ago, but maybe the cleaner who was working in a bar close to the ground over heard her brothers daughter saying her best friends sister told her father that it's true?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

From Twitter, so may be rubbish, but it's thought he used the word 'negrito', which doesn't have negative connotations in Spanish. He could have been saying something like, 'mark the black lad'. Using race as a descriptor isn't necessarily racist, the police do it all the time - although, of course, they are institutionally racist and ACAB! So, not necessarily intended as abuse, but lost in translation and could easily be misinterpreted.

Racism is endemic in society, and is a fallout from our colonial past. Until we move beyond the power structures left behind by imperialism, such inequalities will always be a problem. Much easier to castigate a Spanish goalkeeper for his use of language though... especially if he plays for Leeds.

It also seems the Daily Fail are claiming he has already been found guilty; a divisive and unsubstantiated story about Leeds, released on a matchday...
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Excellent analysis, Sara

Also, it's the Daily Heil, wouldn't believe a word that rag publishes. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'll take it with a pinch of salt until I see it reported from a more reliable source
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I have two thoughts on it. 1. Why have the Daily Fail been told before the club have? 2. If false, I hope we take legal action against them and sue for huge damages.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SaraM wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:19 pm From Twitter, so may be rubbish, but it's thought he used the word 'negrito', which doesn't have negative connotations in Spanish. He could have been saying something like, 'mark the black lad'. Using race as a descriptor isn't necessarily racist, the police do it all the time - although, of course, they are institutionally racist and ACAB! So, not necessarily intended as abuse, but lost in translation and could easily be misinterpreted.

Racism is endemic in society, and is a fallout from our colonial past. Until we move beyond the power structures left behind by imperialism, such inequalities will always be a problem. Much easier to castigate a Spanish goalkeeper for his use of language though... especially if he plays for Leeds.

It also seems the Daily Fail are claiming he has already been found guilty; a divisive and unsubstantiated story about Leeds, released on a matchday...
Very well put :clap:

I did wonder if it was possible he said something in Spanish that may have been usual for him but may sound racist here.

I dont believe Kiko is a racist i really dont.

He used to sit next to Marcelo at Madrid and Marcelo spoke about how he missed having him their. I know just because he sat next to a black player it doesnt mean he isnt racist but he seemed very popular at Madrid and us, i dont think he is that sort of person.

At worst i think something is lost in translation
Signed

King Cjay

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The bottom line is, I think Kiko is a professional player. Even if he held prejudiced views, I can't see him being daft enough to express them on the pitch.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

SaraM wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:19 pm From Twitter, so may be rubbish, but it's thought he used the word 'negrito', which doesn't have negative connotations in Spanish. He could have been saying something like, 'mark the black lad'. Using race as a descriptor isn't necessarily racist, the police do it all the time - although, of course, they are institutionally racist and ACAB! So, not necessarily intended as abuse, but lost in translation and could easily be misinterpreted.

Sarah you are 100% correct .
I am Uruguayan was born there and lived there 6 years and the term "Negro" is used all the time if your mate is a darker colour .

Believe it or not it's not offensive gesture in Spanish it's the opposite , it's how close you regard them to you....I know it's sounds weird but trust me it's in our Culture.
I have a close mate who he goes by"Negro" and not by his first name Paul "Che que haces Negro" is a common thing you'll hear in South America and I'm not bullshitting you guys either.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

That's an nteresting view from someone who knows the language culture. Let's see if these nuances are taken into consideration in Kiko's case...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Personally I think Kiko will be found guilty, but I would hope Leeds would kick up plenty of dust if he does.

As the FA has either leaked the story officially or not it is an attempt to unsettle a fellow professional.
IE. Unsporting conduct.
'
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Depending on where you live, and to which culture you belong to, and which language you speak
a word can have many connotations. Depending on which decade you lived the acceptable adjective
could have been black, (Black Panthers) coloured (White PC liberals) Afro American (Malcom X)

Much like the use of gender pronouns I suppose every "person of colour" would like to be referred
to with a specific adjective that they associate with and if you don't use the correct one then you could be classified as racist.

"Negroid" has traditionally been used within physical anthropology to denote one of the three
purported races of humankind, alongside Caucasoid and Mongoloid... and perhaps only Caucasoid
is viewed in a neutral light whereas the other two are deemed derogatory.

WIkipedia seems to say that in Spanish culture the word "Negro" (why do I have to use quotation marks)
only rarely has negative connotations. It makes an interesting read and I hope the FA realise that what
they are investigating is a clash of cultures and I hope they are not confused by the semantics of the case.

I wonder if the fungus Aspergillus niger would object to being called that if it had a voice?

Wikipedia Spanish use for the word Negro