Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

Post by The Subhuman »

Must say I thought him slightly offside and he's had a lot of chances to hit around 12 goals already this season, miss the easy ones and you can't really complain about a good goalkeeping save when you do finally hit the target ..I don't really credit anyone from scoring from the penalty spot. It's just step and kick it
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Blackburn Rovers Match Thread - Bielsa names unchanged starting XI

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Bamford brings a whole lot more to the table than goals. In fact the style of play basically relies on his hold up play and closing down. Pressing starts with him to be fair. Harrison for all his faults., closing down and defensive qualities are his forte oh and assists when it hits his arse or trips over the bloody ball 😁😁😁 How many has he scored 3?
As everyone says though opinions.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 16.08.54.png

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 16.10.27.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 16.12.28.png

Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 16.13.41.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Just a few comments from yesterday.

Harrisons goal. What I enjoyed about it so much was that Blackburn, even though they had just went a goal down just felt they could back off against us like do many teams do. KP had all the time in the world to pick his pass and they were superbly punished.

But the question struck me yesterday during the game, why does Harrison get more of the ball on the left than Costa on the right? Seems to be two parts to this answer.
One is that we have been purposely overloading on the right to draw the defence away from Jack, which is working well. But we dont see the opposite happening on the left of the pitch, which if it could be mastered allow bring Helder into the game. I think the reason for that is well illustrated in the pass from KP for the goal.
Both him and Ayling, who enjoy the lions share of the deep playmaker role at the minute, are right footed, and use the natural striking angle to send the ball out to the left which puts a natural curl to the pass.

Once Alioski reappears I think we may see the opposite occur and Costa might find more joy as a result.
Have these guys played played much together? I would live to see some long cross field passes for Costa to run on to and use his pace to get into the box.

Overall there was nothing new in the game apart from the fact that a penalty decision went our way, and when Harrison hit the post, even though it was full on, this time it went in so we yielded two goalsinstesd of the usual none.

Fine margins.

It was a great experience at the game. Pub wise was a bit of a wash out, we didnt make it to EL until late so there was just time for a swift pint before finding our seats just in time for the minutes silence.
The view from the East stand was terrific. We were pretty far back but we right on the halfway line.
When we realised that it would be Bamford taking the pen a few got up and went out as they couldn't watch. Such was their anxiety. And it wa since to be at a match where we were in the lead for so long and hold on for the win. Nerves wise I didnt sense a 'Derby' until Berra came on. Surely If White goes back we cant rely on that clampit to save us.

The main anxiety was felt by two lads in the seats in from of us.

Leeds to win 2-1 with Bamford to score first.
£40 at 35/1. And sitting with that score for over an hour.

They were happy when the ref blew for full time.

In the end we did enjoy a few pints in a dive called the White Horse in Pudsey, then off to the local Italian for some nice grub.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:05 pm But the question struck me yesterday during the game, why does Harrison get more of the ball on the left than Costa on the right? Seems to be two parts to this answer.
Probably the simple reason is that Jack is completely in tune with Bielsaball and knows where he is meant to be on the pitch at all times so he sees more of the ball as there is so often an easy pass on to him. Costa isn't quite up to speed on the nuances of Bielsaball and as such isn't quite in the right position a lot of the time so our players are denied the easy pass to him and instead the pass is intercepted or we simply don't try the pass that isn't on and instead keep moving the ball around and it ends up with Jack instead.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:17 pm Probably the simple reason is that Jack is completely in tune with Bielsaball and knows where he is meant to be on the pitch at all times so he sees more of the ball as there is so often an easy pass on to him. Costa isn't quite up to speed on the nuances of Bielsaball and as such isn't quite in the right position a lot of the time so our players are denied the easy pass to him and instead the pass is intercepted or we simply don't try the pass that isn't on and instead keep moving the ball around and it ends up with Jack instead.
I think that is part of it, Costa isnt up to speed yet. Yesterday I was able to see what was going on without having to rely on what the TV camera was showing me. The things you miss.

Many times you could see Costa, Bamford, Klich and Ayling ( or three if them) overloading the right hand side to draw defenders across the pitch to give Jack the room.
But I didnt see the opposite happen... Maybe in time we will see it....

At the minute it means we are a bit one dimensional.

But Pablo is back and hopefully his slide rule accuracy will give us more options, he played well yesterday when he came on,
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:10 pm Bamford brings a whole lot more to the table than goals. In fact the style of play basically relies on his hold up play and closing down. Pressing starts with him to be fair. Harrison for all his faults., closing down and defensive qualities are his forte oh and assists when it hits his arse or trips over the bloody ball 😁😁😁 How many has he scored 3?
As everyone says though opinions.
Bamford bringing more to the table than goals would be fine if he scored goals..Harrison 5 assists and 3 goals, headed for 15 assists and 9 goals on the season.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm Must say I thought him slightly offside and he's had a lot of chances to hit around 12 goals already this season, miss the easy ones and you can't really complain about a good goalkeeping save when you do finally hit the target ..I don't really credit anyone from scoring from the penalty spot. It's just step and kick it
slightly onside for me , level at worse.
small margins tho .
maybe you should go and get get your hair cut more frequently faaip , its completely messing with your vision .... lol ;-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:47 pm I think that is part of it, Costa isnt up to speed yet. Yesterday I was able to see what was going on without having to rely on what the TV camera was showing me. The things you miss

Many times you could see Costa, Bamford, Klich and Ayling ( or three if them) overloading the right hand side to draw defenders across the pitch to give Jack the room.
But I didnt see the opposite happen... Maybe in time we will see it....

At the minute it means we are a bit one dimensional.

But Pablo is back and hopefully his slide rule accuracy will give us more options, he played well yesterday when he came on,
Three great points Ian

Pablo is twice the player that Harrison & Costa are :tup: no way he should be stuck on the bench

Glad you enjoyed the game mate
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

faaip wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:44 pm Bamford bringing more to the table than goals would be fine if he scored goals..Harrison 5 assists and 3 goals, headed for 15 assists and 9 goals on the season.
Nostradamus 👍
One hopes your correct.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Excitement in the commentary box.