All lost last night....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

All lost last night....

Post by 1964white »

Six clubs whom featured in last weekend's cup exploits all lost last night.

West Brom
Brentford
Sheff Wed
QPR
Hull
Millwall

Funnily the baggies are in the 5th round too :lol:
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Re: All lost last night....

Post by paddy parrott »

Ooouuh! You are awful, but I like you.!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I had some premonition about us having a little slip-up after we lost to Arsenal.
If we'd managed to maintain our first-half form we could have beaten them and would probably have had a confidence boost to win the next two instead of losing them.

However, I'm glad we seem to have got some confidence back and don't have the fixture congestion a cup-run could have brought.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Only 5 of the Millwall players that started in their Cup match also started last night - and 1 was the keeper. So no real excuse if people want to say they were tired after playing in the cup etc as only 4 outfield players started both.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The effort Millwall, Hull & West Brom put in v premiership opposition obviously drained them

Brentford rested nine players v Leicester but still screwed up last night. I see Jansson is still out with an injury which weakens them at the back
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

Only 5 of the Millwall players that started in their Cup match also started last night - and 1 was the keeper. So no real excuse if people want to say they were tired after playing in the cup etc as only 4 outfield players started both.
I get that - Millwall actually played OK, just that we were better.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

They did play well, both teams did - well certainly from an attacking point of view. I certainly don't think fatigue from cup exploits made any difference they were justy out on their feet at times due to us continually coming forward. I do feel we eased off a bit after going in front which let Millwall back into the match but thankfully they didn't get an equaliser.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:42 pm They did play well, both teams did - well certainly from an attacking point of view. I certainly don't think fatigue from cup exploits made any difference they were justy out on their feet at times due to us continually coming forward. I do feel we eased off a bit after going in front which let Millwall back into the match but thankfully they didn't get an equaliser.
Why do we do that ?

We look nervous when defending even with plenty of men behind the ball

We appear much more comfortable when we are on the offensive
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm I get that - Millwall actually played OK, just that we were better.
No disrespect Norm

I thought Millwall were poor, we gave them the initiative to push on with some awful defensive play in the opening minutes then the referee joined in to assist them. I can only recall Kiko making one good save, they were hardly in the game throughout the second-half, lots of hoof-ball as the Wall desperately tried to retrieve the game in vain
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:02 pm Why do we do that ?

We look nervous when defending even with plenty of men behind the ball

We appear much more comfortable when we are on the offensive
I think it is almost just the dynamic of the match that changes. At 2-0 down 2-1 and 2-2 we only had one thing in mind and that was going for it. Any team in the same situation does and sometime you get punished as you over commit and get caught and go further behind. However once you get in front suddenly it changes as you don't want to risk making that mistake, you don't look to take chances etc. The opposition also suddenly have no reason to simply defend and cling on any more - they are now behind so they suddenly start taking risks, 3-2 down Millwall could have done like they did a couple of years back and won 4-3 but could also have conceded a couple more too.

When we played Arsenal I was almost hoping we didn't score in that first half because of how well we were playing as I felt it would have changed everything. Ideal scenario would have been scoring in the last minute of the first half. I felt if we'd gone in front Arsenal would have then been in the game more in that first half and we'd have probably started playing more conservatively.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:02 pm I think it is almost just the dynamic of the match that changes. At 2-0 down 2-1 and 2-2 we only had one thing in mind and that was going for it. Any team in the same situation does and sometime you get punished as you over commit and get caught and go further behind. However once you get in front suddenly it changes as you don't want to risk making that mistake, you don't look to take chances etc. The opposition also suddenly have no reason to simply defend and cling on any more - they are now behind so they suddenly start taking risks, 3-2 down Millwall could have done like they did a couple of years back and won 4-3 but could also have conceded a couple more too.

When we played Arsenal I was almost hoping we didn't score in that first half because of how well we were playing as I felt it would have changed everything. Ideal scenario would have been scoring in the last minute of the first half. I felt if we'd gone in front Arsenal would have then been in the game more in that first half and we'd have probably started playing more conservatively.
We're a bit naive at times.

We should have gone into corners a couple of times rather than play a poor sliderule pass straight at their keeper & also going for glory, lose possession & put ourselves under pressure. We are good enough to play triangles & short passes in the corners as we often do building up moves when we are attacking the opposition.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:16 am We're a bit naive at times.

We should have gone into corners a couple of times rather than play a poor sliderule pass straight at their keeper & also going for glory, lose possession & put ourselves under pressure. We are good enough to play triangles & short passes in the corners as we often do building up moves when we are attacking the opposition.
Totally agree.

We need to start time wasting with throw ins, take the ball into the corner or even try get silly free kicks when we want to see out games. I said this against Cardiff - when we were 3 up players like ayling etc were still going into the oppisition box and overlapping etc as if 4 or 5 goals was a priority. The priority is to see out the game and take 3 points.

Maybe MB doesn't believe in this way of football but this is part of the modern game. In other words, lets start cheating more - everyone else does it to us (SOMETIMES AFTER 10 MINUTES).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Doire_Boi wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:49 am Totally agree.

We need to start time wasting with throw ins, take the ball into the corner or even try get silly free kicks when we want to see out games. I said this against Cardiff - when we were 3 up players like ayling etc were still going into the oppisition box and overlapping etc as if 4 or 5 goals was a priority. The priority is to see out the game and take 3 points.

Maybe MB doesn't believe in this way of football but this is part of the modern game. In other words, lets start cheating more - everyone else does it to us (SOMETIMES AFTER 10 MINUTES).
We are not clever enough to defend leads generally, use a bit of common-sense by retaining the ball in non-danger zones.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:41 am We are not clever enough to defend leads generally, use a bit of common-sense by retaining the ball in non-danger zones.
Yeah, attacking is not always the best form of defence. We leave ourselves to open at the back and at the end of games teams chasing leads have more men forward.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Doire_Boi wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:49 am Totally agree.

It's a tricky one because we are so much better when we play at full intensity with players making the overlapping runs etc. When we try to slow it down etc the opposition come back into the match - very tricky to get it right.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:29 pm It's a tricky one because we are so much better when we play at full intensity with players making the overlapping runs etc. When we try to slow it down etc the opposition come back into the match - very tricky to get it right.
It is tricky to get a balance but I would be telling my full backs to keep a more defensive approach.

We don't need to be rushing freekicks or throw ins either when in front. A freekick or goal kick can burn almost a minute but we seem to get on with it a lot quicker (which would be the right thing to do if everyone done it). The truth is they don't though.
stevewall
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by stevewall »

weasel wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:00 pm Only 5 of the Millwall players that started in their Cup match also started last night - and 1 was the keeper. So no real excuse if people want to say they were tired after playing in the cup etc as only 4 outfield players started both.
no excuses from me we are a decent side at the moment on a good run and improving but were beaten by the better side a really good side , it's nice for us not to battling to stay up , but you are going to go on and win it , and I hope you do , that will liven up the premiership
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Nice post Steve and thanks..Never loved watching us more than I have the last 18 months or so, when we're on it's beautiful to watch. My only worry is that we may have to sell ourselves out if we reach the prem. I'm convinced the Championship is a much more interesting and competitive league, the Prem is just about the money and the prizes
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

stevewall wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:58 pm no excuses from me we are a decent side at the moment on a good run and improving but were beaten by the better side a really good side , it's nice for us not to battling to stay up , but you are going to go on and win it , and I hope you do , that will liven up the premiership
Thanks Steve for your nice comments :tup:

I firmly believe we are the best team in the championship.

The second-half was our most complete performance this season although we've played some cracking stuff throughout tbh!

You are still only three points off a play-off position so Millwall are having a good season. Good luck!
stevewall
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by stevewall »

I think you are the best side in the championship the best I've seen , we lost the game butwon't beat ourselves up over losing to a really good side , we are a better side now to watch than we have been for a while and may not be far away from the play offs ourselves , what a laugh that would be Leeds and millwall in the premiership that really would upset a few people , good luck to Leeds though from what I've seen you wont need it