The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd July) Whites held meeting to clear the air following frustrating draw

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd July) Whites held meeting to clear the air following frustrating draw

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Friday 3rd July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Cooper fit for Rover clash.

Central defender Liam Cooper should be fit to Captain the Whites against Blackburn Rovers tomorrow. The 28 year old Scottish International lasted just 12 minutes of the midweek draw against Luton Town before being substituted claiming he felt something in the lower back/glutes,

His replacement, Berardi, was substituted at half time for tactical reasons. Former Chief Football Writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post, Phil Hay, was quoted as saying Cooper should be fit to start, but Dallas is definitely sidelined.

Whites held meeting to clear the air following frustrating draw

Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips has revealed that Leeds held a team meeting to clear the air of frustration following their midweek draw against Luton. Clearly resentful towards Luton for their 'park the bus' attitude, tempers frayed at full time, especially between Hernandez and Haters boss Nathan Jones. Victor Orta also got involved. Phillips said, the players came together and hit the diffuse button on what had built up since the night before.

We were speaking about it yesterday as a team. Luton came to not get beat and came to frustrate us and just sat back. As a team we find it more comfortable going at a team that’s coming at us, catching them on the counter-attack or just having a good battle. With Luton, it frustrated us a little bit, you saw that towards the end of the game, us players arguing and stuff like that.

It’s not really in our nature to start arguing between each other. We had a talk yesterday and said no matter what happens, as long as we’re confident in ourselves and as a team we’ve got to keep on fighting to try and get results. With what’s been going on it’s been hard to try and shift focus from getting back into football and back off football and then back into it again.

Everyone knows we want to be back in the Premier League and we don’t want to take what we’ve got now for granted. This time last season we were second or third and the pressure was really building on us. We had a lot of people talking saying we weren’t going to do well or we weren’t going to get promoted.

Now, you’ve still go those people that say that, but now the team’s such a closed group and they’re so confident in their selves and we know, no matter what, if we perform like we have done in the last games we’ll definitely pick up points and get some good results.

Mowbray - Life looks pretty tough and difficult at the minute going forward

Following back to back defeats against Wigan and Barnsley, Blackburn Rovers boss Tony Mowbray is desperate to get back to winning ways on Saturday against Leeds to keep their play off hopes alive.

We lost the game because we didn’t take our chances in the first half. The chances we created we worked hard to create, you have to score goals to win football matches and goals change games, as we’ve found out in the last two games. Last week we were a point off the play-offs and have now lost two games that teams we should be beating in my opinion.

Life looks pretty tough and difficult at the minute going forward, we’ve got the team at the top of the division next as opposed to the team at the bottom of the table. You never know in football, we could go and beat Leeds on Saturday.

There’s no defence to missing the chances we’ve missed in the last two games, but the teams had to play this week were three of the form teams before lockdown. But we should have got points from both of these games in my opinion.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd July) Whites held meeting to clear the air following frustrating draw

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Glad to see tbe players got the chance to talk things out. Hopefully their frustration can be channelled in a positive way and those in the squad who know they are letting their teammates down can up their game.

There is no need to go all gung ho on Saturday though. Blackburn are another underperforming side.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd July) Whites held meeting to clear the air following frustrating draw

Post by Leeds1000 »

I enjoy reading your daily debate pages Ellandback1. I was reading them along time before i joined. I have also used many of your posted streams. So thanks for them aswell.

As sharp shooting straight talking Mick MacCarthy said in commentary against Cardiff. "There's more than one way to win a football game". I'm a great believer in playing to your strengths. Teams know that Leeds are going to have the bulk of possession so its about stopping us scoring number one, and then being clinical with one of their usual 3 chances. I don't know if Blackburn are a tall physical side? I will rest easier if they are not, and like to play out with the ball.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Every team we will face in the next 6 games will probably play the same way, “park the bus” 10 men behind the ball and play for a draw. I can understand the players frustrations when they are the only team wanting to play football but, even so, we should still be winning these games.

We have only ourselves to blame with, for example, 23 shots, 9 on target we should be scoring more than 1 goal. I think Hernandez’s outburst might have been more to do with our profligate finishing than the way the opposition play.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Not sure i can take any more heartache. Please win tomorrow. Time for the big boy pants lads.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Any less than 3 points and the rot and self doubt will really set in and as we saw with last seasons run in its hard to recover at this stage. Lose or draw tomorrow and we have a mountain to climb, 13 points from 5 games - out of those just below us can only see forest maybe dropping points this weekend.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Good to see that Cooper will be available for the Blackburn match.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:27 am I enjoy reading your daily debate pages Ellandback1. I was reading them along time before i joined. I have also used many of your posted streams. So thanks for them aswell.

As sharp shooting straight talking Mick MacCarthy said in commentary against Cardiff. "There's more than one way to win a football game". I'm a great believer in playing to your strengths. Teams know that Leeds are going to have the bulk of possession so its about stopping us scoring number one, and then being clinical with one of their usual 3 chances. I don't know if Blackburn are a tall physical side? I will rest easier if they are not, and like to play out with the ball.
Appreciated pal
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Sounds like panic and desperation has set in to me. They should be used to teams parking the bus by now. We all know what the problem is and so do the players , they've just got to find a way during these last 6 to get over the line.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Not sure why the players would have an issue with Luton sitting back, better teams have done the same thing. Hopefully the meeting they had can reset their minds and kick on, win Saturday and things will look rosey again
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We haven't been great defensively when Dallas has not played in our back four

Also 6 goals in his last 35 matches when he plays as a wing-back

We'll miss Stuart Dallas
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

dezzy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 am Not sure why the players would have an issue with Luton sitting back, better teams have done the same thing. Hopefully the meeting they had can reset their minds and kick on, win Saturday and things will look rosey again
I think it was frustration at certain of our players turned outward to the opposition.. Blaming Luton is not a good colour on us
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm glad the players had a bit of a 'clear the air' talk, things haven't been quite right since the re-start.
Other teams have hit the ground running better than us and I don't know why.
With the finishing line just three weeks away and the prize that awaits at the end of it, maybe the pressure is starting to get to a few of them. Sound familiar?
I thought we would kick on after the Fulham result even though we didn't play that great.
As rrfierce has said, more heartache would just be too much to bear.

On a different subject, do you think the teams that still had five homes left to play at the re-start are at a disadvantage?
Those that only had four home games left got to play one more game in front of their fans rather than the sterile atmosphere that now exists in the empty stadiums.
Is it more likely that Luton would have wilted under the pressure of 35,000 Leeds fans roaring them on.
Just a thought?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

dezzy wrote:Not sure why the players would have an issue with Luton sitting back, better teams have done the same thing. Hopefully the meeting they had can reset their minds and kick on, win Saturday and things will look rosey again
Like previously mentioned, I think it's a case of our players getting pissed off with good chances being missed and aiming their frustrations at the opposition. Their keeper played outstanding and we missed some sitters. Same old story.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:42 pm I'm glad the players had a bit of a 'clear the air' talk, things haven't been quite right since the re-start.
Other teams have hit the ground running better than us and I don't know why.
With the finishing line just three weeks away and the prize that awaits at the end of it, maybe the pressure is starting to get to a few of them. Sound familiar?
I thought we would kick on after the Fulham result even though we didn't play that great.
As rrfierce has said, more heartache would just be too much to bear.

On a different subject, do you think the teams that still had five homes left to play at the re-start are at a disadvantage?
Those that only had four home games left got to play one more game in front of their fans rather than the sterile atmosphere that now exists in the empty stadiums.
Is it more likely that Luton would have wilted under the pressure of 35,000 Leeds fans roaring them on.
Just a thought?
No crowd for us is a massive disadvantage
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

dezzy wrote:Not sure why the players would have an issue with Luton sitting back, better teams have done the same thing. Hopefully the meeting they had can reset their minds and kick on, win Saturday and things will look rosey again
9 PTS clear with 5 to play would definitely look even more rosier. Image

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote: No crowd for us is a massive disadvantage
On occasions I think the players would prefer no fans because of the negativity coming down from them plus the coaches can be heard to get their messages across.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:53 pm On occasions I think the players would prefer no fans because of the negativity coming down from them plus the coaches can be heard to get their messages across.

All good professional sportsman prefer a crowd behind them..Playing in empty stadiums just ain't the same and extremely difficult to get themselves up for ...
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 pm I think it was frustration at certain of our players turned outward to the opposition.. Blaming Luton is not a good colour on us
Agreed, there must be frustration building towards our finishing from some in the squad
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:46 pm 9 PTS clear with 5 to play would definitely look even more rosier. Image

I’d settle for 6 point gap to third with 5 to go. We need to just focus on us winning and forget Brentford etc, let’s hope we learned from last season