Marcelo Bielsa, The kind of man people name stadiums after!

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Marcelo Bielsa, The kind of man people name stadiums after!

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The name Isaac Newell may not mean a lot to many people but he was a pioneer, in the very literal sense, of football in Argentina. Newell had an adventurous spirit and in 1869 at the age of just 16 he boarded a ship headed for a recently reunified Argentina. In 1884 he founded a school, the Colegio Comercial Anglicano Argentino, in Rosario, Santa Fe. In the same year the first football and set rules arrived in the country and football would go on to play a big part in life at the school.

Football began to rise in popularity in Argentina thanks to participation at schools like Colegio Comercial Anglicano Argentino and clubs and societies set up by British ex-pats. In 1891 the first football league outside of the British Isles was formed, the Association Argentine Football League. The first Primera Division matches were played on 12 April 1891 featuring Buenos Aires FC vs St Andrew's and Old Caledonians vs Belgrano FC. The league only lasted one season but two years later a new league was formed with the same name, this would eventually become the Argentine Football Association.

In 1900 Newell made his son Claudio and his daughter-in-law Katie directors of the school. It was Claudio, who in 1903 founded Club Atletico Newell's Old Boys. From 1905 Newell’s played in the local Liga Rosarina alongside Rosario Athletic, Rosario Central and Atletico Argentino. In 1939 they were admitted to the Primera Division of the Argentine Football Association. Newell’s have won the Primera Division championship six times, on two of those occasions (1991 and 1992) they were managed by one of their own old boys, Marcelo Alberto Bielsa Caldera.

Marcelo Bielsa had a brief and not particularly successful playing career, starting at Newell's Old Boys in 1977. He only played 25 times for Newell's but when he retired from playing in 1980 he began a coaching career at the club. Starting coaching the youth teams he became first team manager in 1990. As well as the two Primera Division titles Bielsa also took Newell’s to the Copa Libertadores final, losing to Sao Paulo on penalties. Bielsa is regarded as somewhat of a revolutionary at Newell’s. The Rosario clubs version of Don Revie or Howard Wilkinson. He is held in such admiration that their stadium was named after him in 2009. How many working managers can say they have a stadium named after them?

Newell's Old Boys made Marcelo Bielsa and he rejuvenated them. The passion Bielsa still shows for Newell’s is clear, he donated almost his entire wage from his first season at Leeds to build a new training facility for them. The fans still see him as a god, a crazy one but nevertheless a god. So much so that Leeds United have found themselves with a new, passionate fan base in South America these past couple of seasons. His style of football and philosophy were developed whilst coaching at the club and this is a philosophy that has gone on to influence managers such as Pep Guardiola and Mauricio Pochettino.

Now, nearly thirty years on from his success at Newell’s, Marcelo Bielsa is on the verge of being just as much of a hero in Leeds, West Yorkshire as he is in Rosario, Santa Fe. The football Marcelo Bielsa has brought to Leeds has been a joy to watch. With the passion and commitment he has ensiled in this team it’s easy to see why he is a man people name stadiums after. Should he deliver promotion to Leeds over the next week surely he will be held in the same regard as the likes of Don Revie and Howard Wilkinson? It’s a bold claim but restoring Leeds United to their former glory could go down as his greatest achievement.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Marcelo Bielsa, The kind of man people name stadiums after!

Post by BGwhite »

IF MB delivers promotion and ultimately the Championship title he will never be forgotten but if he goes on to greater things with Leeds such as The Don and Wilko did and let's not forget David O'Leary who came so close to the ultimate European prize, imo he will go down as Leeds greatest ever manager. To turn this club around inside 2 years (very close inside 1 year) is nothing short of miraculous and to be playing the sort of football that even Arsenal couldn't cope with for 45 mins says it all.
This guy knows what he wants and with average players has very nearly achieved his goal but please please let him have the funds needed to kick on from here and make us into a world-wide great team again.
Championys !!
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

i'm 100% getting a bielsa tattoo if he gets us up
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I've never even considered a tattoo but for Marcelo I may make an exception. The man is a legend.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

whooah, steady on.....yes he has done wonders in that last 2 years....but to be held in the same regard as the great Don? maybe in 10 years time after a couple of pl titles, fa cups and the odd european title...maybe, but right now he is only beginning his journey and as yet cannot hold a candle to the likes of Don or even Wilko.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Tattoos are a no no for me, detest them tbh.

Marcelo should be given the freedom of the City of Leeds if we win championship, a feat I never believed would happen in my lifetime
gessa

Post by gessa »

Hard to believe when we were on our bad run, folk were questioning his abilities, some even stating it may be time for him to go. Remember, they said, he's never won anything, he has no plan B, and is too loyal.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am Hard to believe when we were on our bad run, folk were questioning his abilities, some even stating it may be time for him to go. Remember, they said, he's never won anything, he has no plan B, and is too loyal.
but its true, he has no plan B. Just as well plan A is working.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

The reason I said what I said is because I don't remember being as excited as I am by the kind of football we're seeing.
The man's a genius of style and tactics. He may not have won much but his methods deserve a greater reward than the mundane.
Don't care what others think - it's my personal decision.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Love the guy to bits, even had we not reached the promised land this season ( and I know we haven't yet) I would have been advocating that this club provide some kind of lasting tribute to the man but now, as we stand on the verge of finally, finally, relieving the pain of 16 years in the doldrums, then we simply must do something !!

Some of us had probably heard of Bielsa prior to he's arrival, some probably didn't have a clue, but the way he has turned our fortunes around, playing the best football I have ever seen at ER, is just unbelievable. He hasn't won the trophies that he's career deserved but getting Leeds United to the Premier league will surely be one of the greatest achievements he could have accomplished given the set of players he had at he's disposal when he first joined the club.

I am not embarrassed to state that I will shed tears galore when this man decides to walk away from great club, it will hurt like hell, but until that fateful moment, Ladies and Gentlemen cherish each and every day that he remains with us, for we truly blessed to have him reside at the helm !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 am but its true, he has no plan B. Just as well plan A is working.
I think his switch to 3 at the back certain games, proves he has. His style is one he truly believes in and if the personnel on the pitch aren't doing it, then he changes them. That has to work first. Even at his age and experience, he'll make mistakes but he obviously puts it right sooner than later.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrott:
I think his switch to 3 at the back certain games, proves he has. His style is one he truly believes in and if the personnel on the pitch aren't doing it, then he changes them. That has to work first. Even at his age and experience, he'll make mistakes but he obviously puts it right sooner than later.
Agreed
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am Hard to believe when we were on our bad run, folk were questioning his abilities, some even stating it may be time for him to go. Remember, they said, he's never won anything, he has no plan B, and is too loyal.
I remember commenting on this at the time, pure insanity.
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

tbh those point still stand, I still feel that he's too loyal to players that are underperforming. Look at the nketiah debacle. When bamford hadn't scored in 11 games, he was having some stinkers AND we were losing then perhaps he should have made some changes?

I'm sure that will all be forgotten if we get promoted.
gessa

Post by gessa »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 am tbh those point still stand, I still feel that he's too loyal to players that are underperforming. Look at the nketiah debacle. When bamford hadn't scored in 11 games, he was having some stinkers AND we were losing then perhaps he should have made some changes?

I'm sure that will all be forgotten if we get promoted.
Perhaps but the Nketiah situation was more he didn't think he was ready to play the system and when he was about to get his chance he got injured. He was also loyal when most of us were calling for Ayling to be dropped, he's gone on to be one of the better players this season. Perhaps it's why he gets that little bit extra out of players, they return the loyalty.
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Look, back in 1988 we appointed Wilko as manager, in his first full season he won us promotion from 10th the previous season, then in the top league came 4th in the first season before being champions a year later.

So far MB has taken us from 13th to promotion (hopefully) in 2 full seasons....a terrific achievement, but to be put into the Wilko class (let alone the great Don), he needs to get us into the top 5 next season and win the league the following year.

By all means lets celebrate this time and give MB the credit he deserves for being our best manager since Wilko, but please, in doing so lets not devalue Wilko's achievement from 10th in the second tier to Champions in the top tier in 3 years....Can MB do the same? I really hope so then I will happily credit him as our best manager since the great Don.....but not yet.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Remember where we're at in the league, then judge
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Norm wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 am Remember where we're at in the league, then judge
means nothing if we don't go up
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Wow, never knew Argentina's football league was the first one outside the British Isles, that's amazing. Let's keep this man as long as we possibly can. Who knows, perhaps our great club is where he will finally be given the time and resources to complete his perfect footballing formula? With our youth system now fully committed to this formula, who knows what it could lead to in the future?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Never won any trophies? The 11 players on the pitch are his trophies. The new heart in the city of Leeds is his trophy. Honour is the gift a man gives to himself. No man gives it to him and no man can take it away. Bielsa has untold trophies related to the human spirit where moth and rust do not corrupt.

The trophy of changed lives is more precious than any tarnished silverware.