Leeds Utd v Charlton Athletic - MATCH THREAD - Bielsa Names Strong Starting XI

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Charlton Athletic - MATCH THREAD - Bielsa Names Strong Starting XI

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd v Charlton Athletic

Wednesday 22nd July at 19.30pm | Elland Road

Lee Bowyer's relegation threatened Charlton are the visitors to Elland Road as the curtain finally falls on the 2019/20 season.

The Addicks sit one place above the drop zone. They share 48 points with Luton Town, but have a far superior goal difference. Never say die Barnsley have kept their slim chance of survival in tact by beating Nottingham Forest last weekend. Gerhard Strubers Tykes have 46 points. Not only would they need to beat Brentford in West London, but will have to rely on Leeds to beat Charlton and Blackburn to defeat the Hatters.

In the unlikely event that Charlton and Luton both win, Derby would need to beat Birmingham to give the Blues that sinking feeling! It is mathematically possible for Neil Warnock's Middlesbrough to join Hull in league 1, but Charlton, Luton and Birmingham would all need to win, and the Smoggo's would need to lose at Hillsborough.

Whilst Leeds will be parading the Championship trophy around Elland Road, West Brom, Brentford and Fulham will be fighting it out for the second automatic place. West Brom (along with Leeds) have occupied one of the top two automatic places since the start of the season. Would they have the character to recover in time for the play offs if Brentford were to topple them at the last minute?
If West Brom and Brentford lose, Fulham could steal the last automatic place, but they would have to overcome Wigan.

Thomas Frank's Brentford have been the in-form team in the Championship since the season restarted a month ago. They won their first seven games on the trot, before unexpectedly losing at Stoke. If the Baggies beat QPR, they're up; anything else, it will give the Bees an opportunity to join the top flight for the first time in their existence! Brentford (or West Brom), Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Cardiff make up the play offs. Swansea have an outside chance of stealing the last play off slot but would have to overcome Reading and relying on Hull to beat Cardiff.

Leeds will be without Gaetano Berardi who suffered an ACL tear in his knee during Sunday’s win over Derby County. Berardi now faces nine months on the sidelines without a club! Berardi is joined by Phillips, Costa and Forshaw.

Bielsa needs to choose between Meslier and Casilla between the sticks. The gaffer surprised everyone by dropping the Frenchman in favour of the former Real Madrid shot stopper. Will he do the same on Wednesday? Remember it was at the reverse fixture that the alleged racism incident happened. Although Jonathan Leko has returned to West Brom due to injury, it could raise more than a few eyebrows if the Spaniard starts

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, White, Cooper, Dallas, Struijk, Klich, Alioski, Hernandez, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Miazek, Davis, Douglas, Casey, Stevens, Shackleton, Bogusz, Poveda, Roberts
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: Leeds Utd v Charlton Athletic MATCH THREAD

Post by Ellandback1 »

We owe Charlton nothing. 3-0 Leeds
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Play our strongest team and give them a thumping.

Shack to start.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

In Jan had a conversation with my mate whose a Hull Season ticket holder (please forgive me, met him through work before I knew) he said they would get relegated after selling their best two players at the time I think they were 7th, fast forward to last Sunday I sent him a message: if you beat Cardiff (away) 1-0 then we only have to beat Charlton 16-0 to keep you up, his response contained a number of rude words but he reminded me of his prediction :lol:

He also has already bought two season tickets to follow North Ferriby next season, I did suggest that the football would be far superior to what he’s use to, again the response contained rude words :lol: :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
hector

Post by hector »

Some people just don't have a sense of humour do they Ratty??

:mrgreen:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Charlton Athletic - MATCH THREAD

Post by Chilli D »

You can get season tickets to watch North Ferriby?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I must admit, I'm looking forward to the games tomorrow night knowing we have zero stress regardless of the outcome of our game. I fully expect us to win though.
I also expect WBA to get the second automatic place, Cardiff to get the final play off place and Hull, Barnsley and Charlton to go down.
Luton to produce the great escape
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

We owe them nothing 3:1 is my prediction, I also hope Brenford pip WBA to auto as well
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Velotrax wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 am We owe them nothing 3:1 is my prediction, I also hope Brenford pip WBA to auto as well
Love your avator Velo..... :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:47 am In Jan had a conversation with my mate whose a Hull Season ticket holder (please forgive me, met him through work before I knew) he said they would get relegated after selling their best two players at the time I think they were 7th, fast forward to last Sunday I sent him a message: if you beat Cardiff (away) 1-0 then we only have to beat Charlton 16-0 to keep you up, his response contained a number of rude words but he reminded me of his prediction :lol:

He also has already bought two season tickets to follow North Ferriby next season, I did suggest that the football would be far superior to what he’s use to, again the response contained rude words :lol: :lol:
My Hull City season-ticket pals said the same Rat

I predicted them for relegation at the start of the season :P
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Not fussed about Charlton at all but always had a soft spot for Lee Bowyer, good player with a great engine and played well for us throughout his Leeds career!

There again no room for sentiment, if results go our way we could finish the season 11 points clear - now that would be something and fully deserved imo, so 3 nil Leeds!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

hector wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:19 am Some people just don't have a sense of humour do they Ratty??

:mrgreen:
Nope :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

I'm looking forward to relaxing with my feet up and a pint in my hand watching this pleasingly meaningless and stress-free exhibition of football from our Champs.

Of course three more points would be swell, but it if we don't get them it won't stop me from admiring the league table several times a day...
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

We have earned the right to rest players, and the players who came at Derby did a good job. If i was Luton fan looking at Leeds i would want them playing their best 11.

I would say Birmingham & Luton have the better games. Should be a interesting night sat with my feet up.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

My ticker seems to beat with so much more even regulatory these days but I can't for the life of me think why ...

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

A pripr engagment means i will miss tonights round of matches.

But lets hope for a great performance with a clean sheet.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Always look forward & enjoy watching Bielsa's Leeds even it is a mickey mouse game :scar1

Don't forget we are watching the champions

:celeb:
tomas_at17
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by tomas_at17 »

Today is a very special day, we will have the first trophy in our hands after 28 years. Gracias Bielsa, the players, owners, and all the people of Leeds.

:celeb:
Vamos Leeds Carajo!!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

According to SSN Bielsa to field his best 11 available.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Trophy presentation Live on Sky Sports news at 9.45pm and

Live on YouTube at 9.25pm