Said Benrahma

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Said Benrahma

Post by Cjay »

Phil mentioned him early doors when signing him was very unlikely.

Presumably he is the main target.

He is certainly exciting, tricks and flicks, the kind of player fans are happy to pay good money to watch.

Watching yesterday, was a bit concerned about his tracking back (or lack of it). But maybe he was told not to, we dont know what he was told so will give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

His Championship record is exceptional.

66.6 matches ( 5999 minutes)
27 goals 24 assists

Competition for him will be huge (far more then Watkins i suspect).

Chelsea, Arsenal and Villa all clubs that have been linked.

All have advantages over us.

European football in 2 cases, longer in the Prem, far more money in all 3 cases (if Kroenke is willing to spend any).

However, if i was Said i would consider the story of the temperamental but talented French winger playing in Marseille.

This player while very talented had a tendency to clash with others and sulk and thus by his late 20s despite the talent he still hadnt fulfilled his potential.

But then a legendary figure drifted in to his life and everything changed.

It wasnt easy, the player was dropped and the legendary figure was very hard on him in training.

But the player credits this figure with turning his career around.

Payet (SURPRISE) became a number 10 (enganche)

Dazzled and delighted Prem fans (none more so then West Ham).

Became an international, won awards etc.

Bielsa made Payet the player he was.

Payet like Benrahma was a dazzling but inconsistent winger.

Payet has said how he wishes he had had MB earlier in his career (he was 27).

Benrahma has that chance, surely thats worth more then a few extra pounds?

Edit- forgot the obligatory Youtube video (sorry about the music, mute it)
Last edited by Cjay on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Said Benrahma

Post by The Subhuman »

Thought his passing was off yesterday, and fairly negative (at least for the 90 minutes, got bored after that) Not the quality of a Klich or Hernandez. But he's still young, unsure what buying Benrahma would mean for Pablo who should start as the AMF for us next season.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

How much would he cost? Watkins has a 18m but out clause. We’re a premium team now with hopefully one of the best managers, you would imagine we are appealing for players to come to
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I like the idea of a Butt out clause
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I thought Little Ian was the back up for Pablo, in which case do we need to spend what will be a lot of money on a guy that wants to be the centre of attention and I feel would disrupt the squad
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Would love to see either or both of them to join us next season.

Villa are favourites to sign both, presumably due to the Dean Smith link. Wouldn’t be surprised to see both go there to be honest, we know Villa love to spend.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pm I thought Little Ian was the back up for Pablo, in which case do we need to spend what will be a lot of money on a guy that wants to be the centre of attention and I feel would disrupt the squad
Pablo’s game time has been closely managed this season (even when fully fit) and no doubt will play even less next year.

Ian Poveda looks like a brilliant little player with a lot of potential. He is only 20 though and after only four appearances, is not ready to replace Pablo.

I think it would be massively naive of us to think that we don’t need a proper replacement for Pablo, one who is ready to do the job now.

The Premier League is another animal, and I feel that we will be eaten alive if we don’t strengthen in a few positions.

I do worry about the attitude of Watkins and (to a slightly lesser extent) Benrahma if we were to bring them in, but I think a lot of that is down to the coaches they’ve played under. We all know how arrogant Thomas Frank has been in recent weeks, and I have about as much respect for Dean Smith as I do Lampard. It’s also no secret to any player coming into the Leeds setup that Bielsa will demand a lot of hard work and respect. I especially think this of Watkins and Benrahma who, after a season alongside Jansson, will have heard first hand how he operates.

What I mean to say is, if there is any poor attitude in these players, Bielsa would surely ‘beat’ it out of them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Poveda is the back up for Costa I would have thought and I've always been of the opinion if you're good enough you're old enough. Pablo may play less but for me gets to choose when and if he wants to play and my guess would be he want's to play as much as possible. Benrahma not in Klich's class as a pure centre mid, not sure if he's any good as a left winger but given our wingers have to be full backs too I doubt it.

By the way when adding up the goals from the wings don't forget to add Dallas/Alio and Ayling's goals, most full backs wouldn't get in the box as much as ours do
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Personally ive always said if we go Championship (not a strategy i agree with) then Eze is number 1 imo.

Benrahma would be 2nd choice because i think you can see similarities between him and Payet which is why i mentioned it.

Payet was a winger, full of skills and tricks but questionable work rate and attitude.

He is a better winger attacking wise then we have atm, twice the player Harrison is and better then Costa to.

If MB moves him into the cm it may go wrong, but it was MB who realised Payet was better as a 10, maybe thats where he sees Benrahma.

Definitely dont want Watkins
Doubt we will get Benrahma as i imagine Villa will just throw tons of cash at him and hope for the best.

But for a decent price id be happy with Benrahma.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:36 pm Benrahma not in Klich's class as a pure centre mid, not sure if he's any good as a left winger but given our wingers have to be full backs too I doubt it.
To be fair, Benrahma is a winger who plays in a front 3.

If he were to come in to replace Pablo then he would be out of his natural position. If we are looking for a Pablo replacement to play in Bielsa’s Enganche role, I’d rather us go for Buendia at £25m

What Benrahma has that Harrison and Costa don’t is goals. 17 goals and 9 assists gives him more goal involvements than Harrison and Costa combined (22 goal involvements between them). Not to mention, more goals than our central striker.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

said this before the playoff finals that for us to get benrahma and watkins we would be looking at 50m and on sky sports they are reporting it will take 50m to buy the two of them... there is no way on this earth that leeds would pay 50m for these 2 ( i would love to see this happen i would be over the moon) but that aint happening, if we spend over 25m in this window i would be very very suprised. (hope im wrong)
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

If we can piss 50m on those two happy days, as we must have plenty to spend :lol:
Cjay correct, Eze looks a far better prospect imo.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Benrahma played the AMF role last night it seemed to me and I thought he did versus us. Even dropping deep at times last night, ala Pablo, to come and collect the ball but his passing lacked Pablo's incision like qualities
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We'll be bottom of the food chain with West Brom for at least a season, Brentford would have been but Fulham being London based and with Khan's money puts them in a better position right now
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Still think we should be able to do better than Said but if Bielsa wants him then that's good enough for me. WHat Bielsa wants though if the journos are to be believed is about 20 new keepers, bucketloads of fullbacks, a plethora of centrebacks etc
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:56 pm Benrahma played the AMF role last night it seemed to me and I thought he did versus us. Even dropping deep at times last night, ala Pablo, to come and collect the ball but his passing lacked Pablo's incision like qualities
Brentford’s tactics and mentality were all wrong yesterday.

Even though he looked poor at times last night, he has been brilliant this season and has the potential to be brilliant under a coach like ours. He has had more
goal involvements since the restart than any other player in the league (7 goals and 2 assists).
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Put it this way, if Benrahma comes we won't be playing him as a winger imo. Wingers we don't need yet
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:44 pm Put it this way, if Benrahma comes we won't be playing him as a winger imo. Wingers we don't need yet
Absolutely agree.

Seems from Beren Cross’ Q&A this afternoon that the top two targets are Watkins and White. Benrahma looks unlikely given that other clubs are in for him and he isn’t top of our list.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Fridge wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 pmSeems from Beren Cross’ Q&A this afternoon that the top two targets are Watkins and White. Benrahma looks unlikely given that other clubs are in for him and he isn’t top of our list.
He also said we weren't actively chasing Eze.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

benrahma likely to be going to spurs