Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk starts in defensive midfield

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Fridge »

:strong: Got a good feeling today.

Form aside, we know we are comfortably good enough to beat this lot.

Let’s have a win tonight Leeds
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Fridge wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:27 am :strong: Got a good feeling today.

Form aside, we know we are comfortably good enough to beat this lot.

Let’s have a win tonight Leeds
:tup:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm I think Davis will get the nod ahead of Alioski if need be
I bloody hope so 64
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:57 am I bloody hope so 64
Have to say I agree

I would love to see Shackleton in at RB with Dallas staying at LB and Ayling at CB. This would be my ideal solution personally.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

If Cooper isn't fit, why not give Oliver Casey a go?
He's a big lad and looks decent from what I've seen.
You never know, he might move seamlessly into the first team the same way Struijk has.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Not going to be blown away if we lose, has to be said. Villa may well be just one of those sides that do really well this season. But that said, I think they're due a slip up soon and I hope we're the banana skin. It just seems like the circumstances are just a bit too set up against us and often when it's like that, something happens to mug everyone's expectations off.

But so long as we do what we always do we'll always, always have a shot.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:11 pm Jack rarely puts in a decent cross.....fannies about with the ball far too much, if he took them he'd have to dribble around the corner flag three or four times :lol:
:rol:
Villa_fan01
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villa_fan01 »

Hi guys,

Visiting Villa fan here. I would say good luck tonight, but I don't mean it ;-)

Should be a good game later, do you think you guys will miss Phillips? Always been impressed with him when I've seen him. Shame Gareth can't seem to find a way to play both him and Grealish in the same side, especially when they seem to be good mates.

Anyway, happy to answer any questions on Villa. Be great to see us both up there at the end of the season.
Last edited by Villa_fan01 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Villa_fan01 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:44 pm Hi guys,

Should be a good game later, do you think you guys will miss Phillips? Always been impressed with him when I've seen him. Shame Gareth can't seem to find a way to play them both in the same side, especially when they seem to be good mates.

Anyway, happy to answer any questions on Villa. Be great to see us both up there at the end of the season.
:tup:

If we had signed the DM cover we needed, Phillips missing wouldn't be such an issue, but because we're 2 CB's down too and Struijk will have to come out of defence to cover Phillips, looks like our RB is going into the middle, which he's not good at, the LB is going to the right and we're going to have Alioski at LB, so all in all could well be a right royal fcuk up tbh.
Villa_fan01
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villa_fan01 »

gessa wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:49 pm :tup:

If we had signed the DM cover we needed, Phillips missing wouldn't be such an issue, but because we're 2 CB's down too and Struijk will have to come out of defence to cover Phillips, looks like our RB is going into the middle, which he's not good at, the LB is going to the right and we're going to have Alioski at LB, so all in all could well be a right royal fcuk up tbh.
Yeh, to be honest, when I heard the news about Phillips being out, I was delighted. He is actually still the only player I've seen that has been able to keep Grealish quiet. He was MOTM in the infamous 1-1 draw without question. I was actually gutted we didnt sign him last summer. In the end we got Douglas Luiz which was fantastic business but Phillips still a cracking player.

Also, really rate Ayling. I actually think we have 2 of the best Right Backs in the league in Cash and Ayling. Glad he is playing in the middle as he bombs on down that right and causes problems.

Depends how we play in all honesty. We've assembled a really dangerous starting XI but we have such little squad depth. Right now, we're flying because we have no injuries (touch wood) but that could all change.

With Phillips out, I genuinely think we could win again tonight but we are due a loss. You work harder than most though so it will be interesting. If you can keep Barley, Grealish and Watkins quiet in the forward areas, you'll have a chance because I think you'll score.

Special mention to McGinn as well who has been out POTS so far. You'll need to win the midfield battle if you want any joy and he seems to be a man posessed atm.

As mentioned, hope you guys go on and do well this season. All the stupidity on twitter about this new found rivalry we apparently have is embarrasing to be honest. In a world where Liverpool and United are literally trying to bankrupt everyone but themselves, it's about times Leeds/Villa/Everton broke the mould and upset the apple cart. The English game needs it.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Illan Meslier issues Aston Villa challenge ahead of Leeds United clash

What a good lad he is..has the Leeds fighting spirit... :clapp:

"It’s good for the team to try and break the series, Aston Villa have had four games and four wins, but we are Leeds and we arrive to win and I hope we are able to win against Aston Villa."

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... r-19149695
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Imo another factor may be how Villa approach it.

Do they follow the Wolves tried and tested sit back, be defensively solid and slowly grow into the game approach?
Are they able to do that? Very good start defensively this season but last season they were all over the shop whereas Wolves have perfected that style over 2 seasons.

Or do they try and fight fire with fire like Man City and Liverpool?

I still think if it turns into a sort of basketball end to end match we are as good as anyone in the league and better than practically everybody. An open game suits us because of our fast paced one touch attacking football.

I think that sort of game would see Villa in trouble and maybe given the history and the fact they are at home we may he able to tempt them in to that?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

No prediction thread for this match then?
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

Interesting point Cjay. Villa sat back against Leicester and rode their luck a little in the first half before finally getting a grip on the game in the 2nd half.
Can't say I know which Villa are going to show up, obviously the run will end at some point soon but I'm hopeful the reshuffling of your defense works in our favour. We seem to be allowing a lot down the flanks and inviting deep crosses expecting our central defenders to cope with. I read this was a similar ploy Leicester went with the year they won the league and we now have Shakespeare as coach who was at Leicester.
Regarding Grealish and fans wishes that he wouldn't go down as easily. If you have the time google the highlights of his home debut game, it was against Bolton if memory serves me right. He came on as a sub played his natural game which is what everybody clamours for. He was kicked to pieces, players rotated who kicked lumps out of him next. With every challenge he got back up and smiled, the ref let every challenge go. After that it was a case of coaching him to draw fouls which now is a case of players tallying up needless fouls (seriously if you know he's going to go over if you lunge in, don't lunge in) and getting themselves booked or sent off. He would be out the game now with injuries if he hadn't been coached to do this. That's my tuppence worth other than to say there isn't many individuals this day and age I'd pay money to watch but he's definitely one of them.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Metro1962 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:20 pm No prediction thread for this match then?
Yes, above this thread atm
gessa

Post by gessa »

Well it was until I posted that
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Villa_fan01 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:44 pm Hi guys,

Should be a good game later, do you think you guys will miss Phillips? Always been impressed with him when I've seen him. Shame Gareth can't seem to find a way to play both him and Grealish in the same side, especially when they seem to be good mates.

Grealish everybit as good as Mason Mount for me. A feel he still gets judged from the headlines he used to get where he would get photographed smashed at the side of a pavement in Corfu. (i mean who hasn't?) :) Great player. Watch out for a guy called Klich for us tonight. I just have to check that your not a mole from the Villa camp first. We don't do binoculars anymore at Leeds. :)

All the best for tonight but make no mistake we are out to put a dent in your perfect start.
Villa_fan01
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villa_fan01 »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:34 pm Grealish everybit as good as Mason Mount for me. A feel he still gets judged from the headlines he used to get where he would get photographed smashed at the side of a pavement in Corfu. (i mean who hasn't?) :) Great player. Watch out for a guy called Klich for us tonight. I just have to check that your not a mole from the Villa camp first. We don't do binoculars anymore at Leeds. :)

All the best for tonight but make no mistake we are out to put a dent in your perfect start.
Grealish is far superior to Mount (albeit I do rate Mount). I honestly think it should be Phillips, Maddison and Grealish in the middle for England, but Southgate won't play without his beloved 8 defensive players on the pitch at any one time. Grealish is the ultimate pro - keeps himself in peak condition and works hard every match but unfortunately because of those old photos, people still think he is a liabilty.

Has Klich made the step up then? Always thought he was very good in the championship.

And...bring it on ;-)
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Top player Pal. I always say if the youngsters are looking for inspiration look no further than Klich. Not wanted by TC (manager at the time) sent out on loan but he always wanted to come back and prove himself here. Only got his chance because of injuries and he's been almost ever present since.

Because of the way we play with wingers Villa will find alot of space in CM to charge into.

We will also be unleashing the special weapon of mass destruction second half........ Oh Yeah Pablo Hernandez. When that number goes up, be afraid, be very afraid... :-D

Should be a cracker as i think Smith will want to prove that Villa can fight fire with fire. i have gone for a pessimistic 2 - 4 to the mighty Leeds but you won't find me too dissapointed if it finishes 0 - 1.

All the best Pal. :tup:
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

mothbanquet wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:27 am Not going to be blown away if we lose, has to be said. Villa may well be just one of those sides that do really well this season. But that said, I think they're due a slip up soon and I hope we're the banana skin. It just seems like the circumstances are just a bit too set up against us and often when it's like that, something happens to mug everyone's expectations off.

But so long as we do what we always do we'll always, always have a shot.
Indeed, just as long as that shot doesn't fall to Bamford.