West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Phillips in for Struijk, Berardi & Rodrigo make the bench

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Phillips in for Struijk, Berardi & Rodrigo make the bench

Post by Ellandback1 »

Monday 8th March 2021 20:00 | London Stadium

Leeds travel down the A1M to the London Stadium on Monday evening to play high flying West Ham Utd. They hope to put their London voodoo to rest as they have not won a fixture in England's capital since December 2017 (away at QPR). With players on the comeback trial, they have an increased chance of leaving East London with at least a share of the spoils. Bielsa revealed in his pre match presser that a number of first team players may be in a position to resume first team duties, depending on how they fared in the U23s game against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Aggborough on Friday. Rodrigo, Gaetano Berardi and Ian Poveda all played on Friday and make the bench tonight. Pascal Struijk fails a fitness test having been forced off in the home defeat by Aston Villa and will be replaced by Kalvin Phillips. Helder Costa will keep his place on the wing ahead of Jack Harrison.

The Hammers currently occupy six place in the top flight, 10 points ahead of Leeds in 11th on 35 point. David Moyes team are only six points off 2nd place. The East End club are suffering a goal keeping crisis. Lukasz Fabianski and Darren Randolph are suffering with elbow and thigh injuries respectively. Third-choice David Martin may deputise. The 35 year old, son of West Ham legend Alvin Martin had a brief loan at Elland Road in 2009, but did not play. He is no relation to Alan Martin, who played between the sticks for Leeds between 2007-11. He now plays for Bruno's Magpies in the Gibraltar National League! Ryan Fredericks will face a late fitness test.

When the two teams met at Elland Road the Londoners came away 2-1 winners despite Mateusz Klich opening the scoring from the spot (at the second time of asking) for Leeds. West Ham exploited Leeds United's set piece vulnerability with their headed from Soucek and Ogbonna goals coming from a corner and a free kick. In an entertaining game where both sides created numerous chances, Meslier superbly kept out a second-half header from Fabian Balbuena and saved Sebastien Haller's overhead kick. After Ogbonna rose at the far post to power home Aaron Creswell's inviting free-kick for what proved the winner, Leeds wasted their best chance to level when Rodrigo headed straight at Lukasz Fabianski from six yards.

West Ham are winless in their past seven home games against Leeds (D4, L3). The Hammers are looking to complete their first league double over Leeds since 1953-54, and their first top-flight league double since 1929-30. West Ham have won four of their past five home league matches. Only Manchester City have earned more more Premier League points than West Ham's 22 in 2021. Leeds have lost three of their past four league games and could lose a third consecutive away match in the top flight. Leeds have lost 12 of their last 13 fixtures in London in all competitions, losing all four in the capital in the Premier League this season.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Llorente, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Roberts, Costa, Raphinha, Bamford

Subs: Caprile, Alioski, Davis, Berardi, Jenkins, Huggins, Harrison, Poveda, Rodrigo
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by HarryofOz »

I really worry about my senility sometimes. I don't remember the slightest thing about Alan Martin.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

They're punching well above their weight this season but if the likes of them and Leicester upset the top 4 status quo this season then good on them.
We were unlucky to lose to them in the home game, undone by aerial threat again, but its going to be tough to get a result for sure.
Soucek is a massive threat from set pieces plus they have Antonio back who didn't play at ER.
I doubt the London hoodoo will end on Monday night but you never know. Fingers crossed.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:16 am I really worry about my senility sometimes. I don't remember the slightest thing about Alan Martin.
Nor do I Harry.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:22 am Nor do I Harry.
Thanks Chilli, a big relief that I'm not the only one :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Had a bit of a chuckle at Football Insider linking West Ham with Meslier then a West Ham blog site taking Mesliers agents comment of "big clubs are interested" in Meslier as confirmation that Football Insider was on to something :lol:

West Ham.

Big club

Really?

:duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

WH playing in a large empty soulless stadium will remind them of pre covid times when the played in a large half full soulless stadium

Saying that I think we could squeek this one.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Dallas
Struijk
Klich
Raph
Roberts (if fit)
Jack
Paddy

I don't think Koch/Rodrigo/Kalvin will be available to start
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hopefully Rodrigo & Berardi on the bench.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

It's London, against a team doing well, with some massive lumps playing for them, who are one of the top set-piece goal scorers. What could go wrong?

Don't see us winning this, and have us down for a narrow loss. A draw would be a good result though. Had read/heard elsewhere though that since Haller left and Antonio came back in, West Ham have started to push forward a lot more leaving bigger holes in midfield and consequently conceded more. This might be our best chance by exploiting all the space in midfield by speedy transitions and the sprint/pace our team have.

Appears Rodrigo may see some minutes after today's U23 showing, though don't expect him to start in place of Tyler. Poveda maybe back on the bench but perhaps some more U23 minutes needed. No other changes to personnel since KP didn't play today. Would love to see Llorente take DM, but reckon Struijk will be there again.

First XI:
Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Dallas
Struijk
Klich
Raph
Roberts
Harrison
Bamford

Bench: Casilla, Alioski, Hernandez, Rodrigo, Gelhardt, Jenkins, Davis, Costa, Huggins (looks light on defenders so maybe one of Casey/Cresswell for A.N.Other)
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:08 am WH playing in a large empty soulless stadium will remind them of pre covid times when the played in a large half full soulless stadium

Saying that I think we could squeek this one.
I have us down for a draw in the score predictor Ian, but the idea of springing a surprise just won't go away.

What a way to bust the hoodoo.
Alfs
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Alfs »

I come in peace.

Alright, lads,

I'm Alf's from West Ham Online.

Before each game, we run an article called 'Views from the Opposition' where we invite a fan or two to answer questions about your club, your perceptions of our club, and of course, the game on Monday.

There will also be some humourous questions which is just a bit of banter and should be taken as such. Feel free to give some back.

I'm looking for one, maybe two volunteers. It won't take up more than 15 - 20 minutes of your time.

Cheers,

Alfs
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Alfs wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:04 pm I come in peace.

Alright, lads,

I'm Alf's from West Ham Online.

Before each game, we run an article called 'Views from the Opposition' where we invite a fan or two to answer questions about your club, your perceptions of our club, and of course, the game on Monday.

There will also be some humourous questions which is just a bit of banter and should be taken as such. Feel free to give some back.

I'm looking for one, maybe two volunteers. It won't take up more than 15 - 20 minutes of your time.

Cheers,

Alfs
Welcome Alfs.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Alfs
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Alfs »

Cheers, Irish. Are you up for answering the questions?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Stick em up ...but it's 64 White, Yorkshire Square, Rich Leeds and a couple of others you want
Last edited by The Subhuman on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

My uncle was a lifelong West Ham fan, and very very good footballer (Fulham wanted him as the next Johnny Haynes in the mid sixties) He died a couple of years ago of Asbestosis at the fairly young age of early seventies

So I have a soft spot for the Hammers ..the rest of my family are Chelsea fans...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In that case i vote for Faaip to answer questions.
#bantz
Signed

King Cjay

Alfs
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Alfs »

Asbestos really was a horrific invention. Would you fancy sitting in the Big Black Chair then, faaip?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:29 pm Stick em up ...but it's 64 White, Yorkshire Square, Rich Leeds and a couple of others you want
agreed

Get some of the longer standing members to go.

In any case, I would be too nice :-D
'
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Somebody has to do it we are looking a bit wishy washy :oops:

:lol:
Signed

King Cjay