Summer 2021 squad and transfer discussion- No more incomings for us.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Summer 2021 squad and transfer discussion.

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:03 pm Looks like a classy little terrier on this clip.

Meh looks like an average Championship midfielder to me.

Certainly isnt a major improvement and is no patch on players like De Paul and Nandez.

Its a cheap option lets be honest, midfield is a huge concern for us and he would be a cheap option. I never ever get clubs buying players specifically for backup.

Every signing you make should be with the intention of replacing a first team member

Anything less is the absolute epitome of standing still.

Id hoped for far more ambition this summer not going to lie and i can't even pretend to be excited by this potential signing.

Really poor window so far.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:40 pm Meh looks like an average Championship midfielder to me.

Certainly isnt a major improvement and is no patch on links like De Paul and Nandez.

Its a cheap option lets be honest, midfield is a huge concern for us and he would be a cheap option.

Id hoped for far more ambition this summer not going to lie.
The reality is CJ De Paul is long gone and Nandez did not happen... With the Bielsa touch nothing wrong with a cheap option....And as I stated in another post O'Brien does want to play for Leeds and is demonstrating a very good attitude towards it ...Could be a cheap option that works out very well imo.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:40 pm Meh looks like an average Championship midfielder to me.

Certainly isnt a major improvement and is no patch on players like De Paul and Nandez.

Its a cheap option lets be honest, midfield is a huge concern for us and he would be a cheap option. I never ever get clubs buying players specifically for backup.

Every signing you make should be with the intention of replacing a first team member

Anything less is the absolute epitome of standing still.

Id hoped for far more ambition this summer not going to lie and i can't even pretend to be excited by this potential signing.

Really poor window so far.
Completely agree.

I thought we were only signing players who would be an improvement on what we have already? Why are we so afraid of replacing Klich and Dallas in the starting XI? We'll have to move on from them eventually.

I was thinking CG and O'Brien were just smokescreens for a better player, but time is running out now.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:06 pm Completely agree.

I thought we were only signing players who would be an improvement on what we have already? Why are we so afraid of replacing Klich and Dallas in the starting XI? We'll have to move on from them eventually.

I was thinking CG and O'Brien were just smokescreens for a better player, but time is running out now.
It would be nice in a perfect world to be able to buy upgrades all the time, but when you have to live within a budget, the best laid plans of mice and men fall down. Buying now players who can replace the likes of Klich & Dallas would put us in the luxury class of teams that can afford to do that, we are far from that...those two have at least one if not 2 more seasons, possibly 3 in them O'Brien could well be shaped into replacing one of them after a season (or two) covering for them.. wish we could be privvy to much more of the back room chat, its hell being on the outside :)
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:43 pm The reality is CJ De Paul is long gone and Nandez did not happen... With the Bielsa touch nothing wrong with a cheap option....And as I stated in another post O'Brien does want to play for Leeds and is demonstrating a very good attitude towards it ...Could be a cheap option that works out very well imo.
Of course he wants to play for Leeds, he currently plying his trade at Huddersfield :lol:
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:43 pm The reality is CJ De Paul is long gone and Nandez did not happen... With the Bielsa touch nothing wrong with a cheap option....And as I stated in another post O'Brien does want to play for Leeds and is demonstrating a very good attitude towards it ...Could be a cheap option that works out very well imo.
Of course he wants to play for Leeds, he's currently plying his trade at Huddersfield :lol:
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:17 pm Of course he wants to play for Leeds, he's currently plying his trade at Huddersfield :lol:
he also added that he is willing to wait and learn and earn a place from Bielsa and it's not a pay cheque he is looking for ...which imo demonstrates a good attitude.... but you are right he may want to get away from "uddrsfiled also :lol:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:15 pm It would be nice in a perfect world to be able to buy upgrades all the time, but when you have to live within a budget, the best laid plans of mice and men fall down. Buying now players who can replace the likes of Klich & Dallas would put us in the luxury class of teams that can afford to do that, we are far from that...those two have at least one if not 2 more seasons, possibly 3 in them O'Brien could well be shaped into replacing one of them after a season (or two) covering for them.. wish we could be privvy to much more of the back room chat, its hell being on the outside :)
How about we just save £10m and have Lewis Bate sat on the bench instead? How much money have we wasted over the last 4 years or so?

If we're still relying on Klich and Dallas in 2/3 years, then we'll probably be in the Championship.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:39 pm How about we just save £10m and have Lewis Bate sat on the bench instead? How much money have we wasted over the last 4 years or so?

If we're still relying on Klich and Dallas in 2/3 years, then we'll probably be in the Championship.
Respect your opinion... I do not expect us to be relying on Dallas/Klich in 2/3 years I am saying they still have something left in the tank and we are not in a position to buy luxury players so we can let them go... would be nice if we got to that position...another way to look at it is if you replace players such as those you still need back ups but you dont build a bulding from the top down its from the ground up...we will always have differing opinions thats what makes it interesting.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I want to play for Leeds and would show a good attitude for it to but i wouldn't be good enough either.

O'Brien may have potential but what happened to only buying players better than we already have as Bielsa has said he only wants many times?

Or Raphinha being the benchmark as Kinnear said.

This may be MB's last season and at some point we have to move on from relying on him and the style, at some point we have to make a real effort to raise the talent level of the first 11.

Midfield for me is the most vital area of the pitch, it isnt an area you should go cheap on.

The club were willing to throw £20mil at Cuisance last summer who it seems is a total waste of space but 12months later we are only willing to do cheap loans or Championship so so midfielders?

Seems odd to me
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think we got lucky with Raphinha in terms of his cost. It seemed a bizarre transfer with the selling club basically selling him for what they'd paid.

I think we can all agree that Bielsa has a good eye for a player and has demonstrated several times his ability to transform 'average' players into stars despite our doubts. If Bielsa thinks O'Brien is a good player then he clearly has a lot of the attributes Bielsa wants.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Speaking of midfielders.

Italian media are linking us with Serbian international central midfield Sasa Lukic.

Lukić is a quick, hardworking, versatile with good vision, passing, and technique and well-rounded midfielder, who is also capable of playing in several positions, due to his ability to aid his team both offensively and defensively. A right-footed player, he is usually deployed as a creative attacking midfielder, due to his vision, passing, technique, and striking ability, as well as his adeptness at making attacking runs ( from Wiki).

Plays for Torino who narrowly avoided relegation from Serie A last season
Signed

King Cjay

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:30 pm I want to play for Leeds and would show a good attitude for it to but i wouldn't be good enough either.

O'Brien may have potential but what happened to only buying players better than we already have as Bielsa has said he only wants many times?

Or Raphinha being the benchmark as Kinnear said.

This may be MB's last season and at some point we have to move on from relying on him and the style, at some point we have to make a real effort to raise the talent level of the first 11.

Midfield for me is the most vital area of the pitch, it isnt an area you should go cheap on.

The club were willing to throw £20mil at Cuisance last summer who it seems is a total waste of space but 12months later we are only willing to do cheap loans or Championship so so midfielders?

Seems odd to me
All fair points and questions..neither would I be good enough to play for Leeds as I was told at 17 and released from my apprenticeship with them after 2 years :cry: ...I cannot answer why we do not only buy players better than we have, I am sure it is not due to a lack of effort by Victor and MB. My best guess would be due to financial restrictions at the club and an over inflated transfer market, none of us are privvy to the back room workings of the club.
Arguably, MF (and the 10 pos) are the vital area's but still only part of the equation.
I honestly do not believe at least half the transfer rumours we hear of those linked to us, the media do a bang up job of creating a minefield of misinformation...that said when I see MB sitting in the stands watching a certain player (which he has done in the case of O'brien (and others)) Now I start to take an interest in that player.
We are all on the same page for wanting to strengthen and improve our team but we cannot just base our selections on valuation, it really has to be potential for the most part.
Rodrigo has not yet met anywhere near the expectations we had when we paid a big fee for him, I am not knocking him, just pointing out that even those already (supposedly) qualified and experienced still can be works in progress.
We have to forget what teams much richer than us are doing, we cannot compete, frustrating as it is.
MB has transformed this team, is capable of transforming others, patience is required, difficult as it can be to do. I still believe in Shack's, Gelhardt, Sommerville, Cresswell & Greenwood... we either build a team or die as we certainly cannot afford to buy one...I believe we are on the track, and laying a foundation for the future, it will just mean making sure we recruit the right man again after Bielsa.
MOT
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:37 pm I think we got lucky with Raphinha in terms of his cost. It seemed a bizarre transfer with the selling club basically selling him for what they'd paid.

I think we can all agree that Bielsa has a good eye for a player and has demonstrated several times his ability to transform 'average' players into stars despite our doubts. If Bielsa thinks O'Brien is a good player then he clearly has a lot of the attributes Bielsa wants.
:tup: spot on weasel...
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:38 pm Speaking of midfielders.

Italian media are linking us with Serbian international central midfield Sasa Lukic.

Lukić is a quick, hardworking, versatile with good vision, passing, and technique and well-rounded midfielder, who is also capable of playing in several positions, due to his ability to aid his team both offensively and defensively. A right-footed player, he is usually deployed as a creative attacking midfielder, due to his vision, passing, technique, and striking ability, as well as his adeptness at making attacking runs ( from Wiki).

Plays for Torino who narrowly avoided relegation from Serie A last season
Seems good in the highlights ...celtic apparently offering 6 mill for him, was a number mentioned in what you saw as we are Leeds !!!

funny comment in the utube comments ..." this guy looks like a Klich mk2... :)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Hold into your hats, exciting news.....

More u23s on the way :roll:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... tract.html

Fabio Carvalho from Fulham. From what I've seen of him, he just looks like another Poveda. Loads of skill, but so lightweight.

Although I don't see why he'd want to swap Championship football for u23s.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Can anyone see us finishing in the top half this season, cause I can't
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 pm Can anyone see us finishing in the top half this season, cause I can't
it'll be reet WiF, dont panic... :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:11 pm Hold into your hats, exciting news.....

More u23s on the way :roll:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... tract.html

Fabio Carvalho from Fulham. From what I've seen of him, he just looks like another Poveda. Loads of skill, but so lightweight.

Although I don't see why he'd want to swap Championship football for u23s.
Another 18yo kid, I suppose we make money on these type of signings :roll:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteinfrance wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 pm Can anyone see us finishing in the top half this season, cause I can't
Its easy to be upset about our transfer business so far and the whispers about the potential business.

Its not exactly ambitious to say the least and is bitterly disappointing in my view as i hoped we would push on this summer whereas we are doing the one thing i feared, standing still.

I think our really poor pre season performances havent helped the mood either, not much to be positive about this summer so far, not the summer i am sure we hoped for as fans in general.

But a good performance vs Manure and i will feel happier, :)
Signed

King Cjay