Calls for England to be banned from the World Cup...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Calls for England to be banned from the World Cup...

Post by Boo Radley »

Smudge3920 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:23 pm I find this an interesting picture, ... Policeman, Lawyer & accused...it could easily and equally be 3 men (or women) of any colour/race/creed

3.jpg
I can see why you’d find this image “interesting” as it fundamentally suits a racist agenda. I presume you got it off the Tea Party or Proud Boys website. It’s a trite and ridiculous simplification of an important and deep problem.

The chances of a black man getting to the position of lawyer in the US are long odds, a policeman shorter odds and unfortunately, due to structural poverty, a racist police force and an expensive and bias judicial system there is a high chance of a black man ending up in jail, far higher than any other race in America.

For anyone that is interested in learning more of the inbuilt racism in the U.S. and the implications for politics and society there you should read “We Were Eight Years in Power” by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

I know already that Smudge will come back and twist everything that has been written above to suit his agenda. His constant spinning and twisting of what people write here who don’t agree with him is almost legendary.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Boo Radley wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 pm I can see why you’d find this image “interesting” as it fundamentally suits a racist agenda. I presume you got it the tea Party or Proud Boys website. It’s a trite and ridiculous simplification of an important and deep problem.

The chances of a black man getting to the position of lawyer in the US are long odds, a policeman shorter odds and unfortunately, due to structural poverty, a racist police force and an expensive and bias judicial system there is a high chance of a black man ending up in jail, far higher than any other race in America.

For anyone that is interested in learning more of the inbuilt racism in the U.S. and the implications for politics and society there you should read “We Were Eight Years in Power” by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

I know already that Smudge will come back and twist everything that has been written above to suit his agenda. His constant spinning and twisting of what people write here who don’t agree with him is nearly legendary.

“Methinks the lady doth protest too much”.
Wow...you are a wag aint ya ...and anything that dont suit your agenda "is a trite and simplification of a deep rooted problem"... I guess Mr. Coates made some good choices huh?... Go figure :)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Boo Radley wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 pm I can see why you’d find this image “interesting” as it fundamentally suits a racist agenda. I presume you got it off the Tea Party or Proud Boys website. It’s a trite and ridiculous simplification of an important and deep problem.
Wow, and you got all that from the word "interesting" what a vivid imagination you have Boo...

No one has disagreed with the disparity, and institutional racism, but those effected still have "choices" they can make in life...

An accomplished author, both fiction and non, well respected for his views and the way he presents and addresses them. Made some excellent choices in life, utilising his ability to overcome, attended Howard university, and also part of the Marvel Universe contributing to the Black panther & Captain America series, forged a great life for himself.

I know already that Smudge will come back and twist everything that has been written above to suit his agenda. His constant spinning and twisting of what people write here who don’t agree with him is almost legendary.
You know a lot Boo, quite the epitomy of the "keyboard warrior" and would much rather turn to insults and accusations, than discuss like an adult. Traits adopted by those who feel they have to bully and insult to make their point of view... lot of that going on at the moment.

“Methinks the lady doth protest too much”.
You joined in and made a trio, gang mentality...love it :) ...So tell me, is Mountain the moral high ground you and Ian climb upon when feeling holier than thou Boo?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Three tweets and cancel culture will get you.

For his comments about black players taking penaltiesImage

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:40 pm Three tweets and cancel culture will get you.
He seems to have become completely obsessed with trying to provoke a reaction and forgotten about trying to provoke a laugh.

It worked. He got one. He should be delighted.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never heard of him ... so not all publicity is good publicity.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm Never heard of him ... so not all publicity is good publicity.
He's danced around racism before, pretended he wasn't. But then went full blown hardcore after the Euro final with "jokes" about black people being bad at penos. I don't know how he expected any venue to give him a platform after, unless he is as stupid as he is unfunny. Even his own agent dumped him.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Mountain wrote: He seems to have become completely obsessed with trying to provoke a reaction and forgotten about trying to provoke a laugh.

It worked. He got one. He should be delighted.
yesh and white men can't jump

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Mountain wrote: He's danced around racism before, pretended he wasn't. But then went full blown hardcore after the Euro final with "jokes" about black people being bad at penos. I don't know how he expected any venue to give him a platform after, unless he is as stupid as he is unfunny. Even his own agent dumped him.
Get your quotes right. He only stated the obvious

"All I'm saying is, the white guys scored"

Will I get banned for repeating what he said?

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:00 pm Get your quotes right. He only stated the obvious

"All I'm saying is, the white guys scored"
And he followed up with

"I can see that this has offended a lot of people, and I'm sorry that black guys are bad at penalties".

Are you saying he didn't say that at all, or that he did but it's fine? You wanna rethink the "get your quotes right" line?
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:30 pm Never heard of him ... so not all publicity is good publicity.
Malcolm Maclaren might disagree there :duno:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Mountain wrote: And he followed up with

"I can see that this has offended a lot of people, and I'm sorry that black guys are bad at penalties".

Are you saying he didn't say that at all, or that he did but it's fine? You wanna rethink the "get your quotes right" line?
True dat is .. the whole nation was SORRY

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 pm True dat is .. the whole nation was SORRY

The whole nation was sorry that he articulated the clearly racist comment that black people can't take penalties?

I doubt it. I'd say most people who had even heard of this no mark racist former comedian laughed as he cancelled his entire career by finally revealing his true colours.

Anyway, are you still denying that he said what he said? You still claiming that when I directly quoted him, in fact I misquoted him and he did not say...

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

i am saying he plays many different characters and one of them loves a tear up, loves a bit of banter, who personifies the ticketless yobs who storm Wembley, and the louts that love Engerland, the modern day version of Alf Garrnett... completely over the top

The nuances and subtleties of such sarcastic comedy seem to be lost on you and you take everything at face value. You must be a literalist, a person who adheres to the literal representation of a statement or law. Irony sarcasm hyperbole all seem to be lost to you. I might go as far to say that you are a very serious person with little or no sense of humor. When was the last time that you understood or laughed at a joke?

His latest video about Prince Harry states "I am so busy letting people know how a private person I am". this is an example of hyperbole, (a technique that pervades his comedy) exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally, but if you are a monarchist you may be offended, and if you are a republican you will find it absurd and amusing.

That latest video has had 21k views and 1.2K comments most of which are extremely positive, wishing him well and welcoming him back... a reaction no doubt that will enrage the woke brigade, and that you will find contemptible... how can so many people support him... they must be racist like himself.

What is the difference between a wake and a woke person? when you go to a wake you are paying respects to the dead, when you talk to a woke person you wish you were dead.

That was a joke by the way. In case you didn't get it... but if you are truly woke you may be offended.

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

What is the difference between a wake and a woke person? when you go to a wake you are paying respects to the dead, when you talk to a woke person you wish you were dead
:rol: :rol: :rol:
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:18 am The nuances and subtleties of such sarcastic comedy seem to be lost on you and you take everything at face value. You must be a literalist, a person who adheres to the literal representation of a statement or law. Irony sarcasm hyperbole all seem to be lost to you. I might go as far to say that you are a very serious person with little or no sense of humor. When was the last time that you understood or laughed at a joke?
I see in your efforts to defend him you've gone from incorrectly claiming I misquoted him to now just getting personal.

Anyway, you may find his racism funny and insist it's because you understand it at a deeper level, that is your prerogative.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Let me get personal, two of my girls are married to black men. I have seven grandchildren from those marriages. My grandson recently played in Japan with the Finnish national basketball team. I am proud of him. My daughter and her two girls are visiting from the UK at the moment. They are beautiful and I love them... but you have no way of knowing that since you do not know me.Image

Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 am Let me get personal, two of my girls are married to black men. I have seven grandchildren from those marriages. My grandson recently played in Japan with the Finnish national basketball team. I am proud of him. My daughter and her two girls are visiting from the UK at the moment. They are beautiful and I love them... but you have no way of knowing that since you do not know me.Image

I'm really not sure why your children's choice of partners should mean your staunch defence of a racist is fine.

As I said, you are entitled to enjoy Laurence, deny he said what he said, keep digging and say it was meant to be ironic because he's playing a role of someone who loves "banter", and then get personal. I disagree, that is all.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I love the Andrew Lawrence comedy parodies he really does do a cross section of society really well. I don't agree with abuse of any footballers but we all do it at some level. I remember Beckham receiving some vile abuse when he got sent off against Argentina in the WC with some people even hanging effigies of him from trees, but to most people it was ok because he played for MU. I do genuinely believe that some people think we can flick a switch and make racism disappear overnight, if only life was that simple. Integration is the key but unless you are fortunate to live in the city most people won't experience it. My recent visit to Manchester has done me the world of good in that respect.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Mountain wrote: I'm really not sure why your children's choice of partners should mean your staunch defence of a racist is fine.

As I said, you are entitled to enjoy Laurence, deny he said what he said, keep digging and say it was meant to be ironic because he's playing a role of someone who loves "banter", and then get personal. I disagree, that is all.
Basically because by inference you seemed to be inferring that I was a racist... perhaps you have come to that conclusion because of our discussions on taking the knee and black lives matter.

You are relentless... have mercy