The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 15th October) - Raphinha steals the show for Brazil

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 15th October) - Raphinha steals the show for Brazil

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:56 am Very prouf of Raph, he has earned his chance for his country and taken it.

Its a shame we probably won't get to build a team around him.

Maybe if last summer we had gone for De Paul and Cunha and shown proper ambition and stopped talking about consolidation we could have done so.

Ultimately the Leicester model that this ownership wants to use has a ceiling, a really frustrating one as a fan but hey ho.

Unfortunately our recruitment has never been on par with Leicester so the chances of us replicating their success is slim imo.

I hope Radz takes the pound signs out of his eyes where Raph is concerned and looks at the bigger picture.

At his current trajectory Raph will be a starter for Brazil soon, the World Cup in Qatar is next winter 2022, if Raph has a good world cup his value will sky rocket

Part of the Leicester model is knowing when to sell, that isnt this summer imo.
To be honest even if we'd bought in loads of players I think we would have had to have qualified for the Champions League to have any chance of keeping him - and even then if he continues to progress as he has done he would likely have still been looking to leave you just need to look at the players who left Leicester after they won the title to know that money talks and they lost their star names to clubs who would have no problem tripling (or more) their wages. Leicester won the title and Kante went to Chelsea and Mirhaz to City, 2 teams that like Leicester were in the Champions League but 2 teams that would pay a hell of a lot more in salary than Leicester could do.

Hard also to know the exact time to sell. A bad injury or a run of bad games and his value could plummett. You also need a bidding war so if the best teams buy other players then the demand might not be as great. Dacourt turned down a move to Lazio for around £15m and a year or so later we were shipping him off for about £1m (and probably still paying a percentage of his wages). Likewise a few of the players from that team could have been sold for big prices but we kept them, imploded and their values had plummetted and we also were int he position of being desperate to sell so clubs ripped us off.

Enjoy Raphinha while he is here and if he goes and the club makes a huge profit then it has been a win win for everyone and hopefully we find another Raphinha.
mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 15th October) - Raphinha steals the show for Brazil

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:08 am To be honest even if we'd bought in loads of players I think we would have had to have qualified for the Champions League to have any chance of keeping him - and even then if he continues to progress as he has done he would likely have still been looking to leave you just need to look at the players who left Leicester after they won the title to know that money talks and they lost their star names to clubs who would have no problem tripling (or more) their wages. Leicester won the title and Kante went to Chelsea and Mirhaz to City, 2 teams that like Leicester were in the Champions League but 2 teams that would pay a hell of a lot more in salary than Leicester could do.

Hard also to know the exact time to sell. A bad injury or a run of bad games and his value could plummett. You also need a bidding war so if the best teams buy other players then the demand might not be as great. Dacourt turned down a move to Lazio for around £15m and a year or so later we were shipping him off for about £1m (and probably still paying a percentage of his wages). Likewise a few of the players from that team could have been sold for big prices but we kept them, imploded and their values had plummetted and we also were int he position of being desperate to sell so clubs ripped us off.

Enjoy Raphinha while he is here and if he goes and the club makes a huge profit then it has been a win win for everyone and hopefully we find another Raphinha.
Pretty much sums it up that weasel, hopefully he wont be going anywhere for a couple of seasons :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:22 am Agree, also as BG says, Neymar would have had a natter with him.
Yeah, seems like he's best buddies with Neymar.

I'm sure KP's England team mates are also whispering in his ear too.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:15 am Pretty much sums it up that weasel, hopefully he wont be going anywhere for a couple of seasons :tup:
If he stays fit and in form it would be really awesome if we could give him a wage increase to sign an extended contract and keep hold of him next season.

He's likely to shine at the World Cup next winter and then they'll all break the bank to sign him and we'll get a fortune for him.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Newcastle may just inflate the market at the right time for us and Raphinha. We will only be buying midlevel players so shouldn't effect us too much. The only way i see Newcastle attracting the kind of players they will need to be competitive is to pay top market prices and wages, PSG like. They can't just become another Liverpool overnight as they don't have any major tradition or more importantly any CL football to rely on. Regardless of the money i feel its going to be a tough nut to crack up there.

I have a feeling Mourinho may have one last crack at the PL left in him?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:32 am If he stays fit and in form it would be really awesome if we could give him a wage increase to sign an extended contract and keep hold of him next season.

He's likely to shine at the World Cup next winter and then they'll all break the bank to sign him and we'll get a fortune for him.
Aye, would be a shame to lose him at any stage, especially when we want to see our best players stay and shine and help us progress, worst case scenario, we sell him for a massive amount and spend it wisely, win / win, although, we've seen it far too often, make the money and see very little of it re-invested, hope Rad's is different.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:26 pm Maybe but imagine what the club would have had to have done to adjust to a European campaign this season.
That would have been a recipe for disaster.
We aren't ready for that.
Remember last time and what happened to the club.

Small steps.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Putting aside how desperate our fan base, on here and on social media, seem to be to sell our best players (if I had a pound for every "oh, that'll be Raph off then" I've read this week, I could practically retire!), I'd rather lose Raph than KP. Wingers, whilst maybe not ten a penny, are much more easily found (Raph being a prime example) than a DM with all of Kalvin's attributes. And in young Jimmy Summerville, we might already have one on our books. As the wise minority have said, let's enjoy him while he's here. Investment or no investment, a club like ours, paupers in relative terms, was never going to be the ceiling for a player of his obvious class.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson