The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th January) Leeds linked with Ajax star

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th January) Leeds linked with Ajax star

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 27th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds linked with Ajax star

Leeds have been linked with a late move for Ajax right-back Noussair Mazraoui. The 24-year-old Moroccan international is into the final six months of his contract with the Dutch Champions, and a move to the Premiership is high on his wish list. He has been with Ajax since he was just eight-years-old, and has played 125 times for the club.

In a recent interview Mazraoui was quoted as saying: "That's a good question. I think the chances of me remaining at Ajax are very small, maybe 5%. "I am open for something new, I have played here for 16 years and I think it's a good moment to leave."

Leeds have continually been linked with right backs throughout this transfer window, and whilst most of the speculation can be taken with a pinch of salt, I can't help but think whether replacing Luke Ayling in the Summer is part of the rebuilding process? Ayling, 30 has played an instrumental role at Elland Road since his £200,000 transfer from Bristol City nearly seven years ago. He was recommended to Garry Monk by Kyle Bartley who, at the time, was on loan at Leeds from Swansea City. Ayling has gone on to make almost 200 appearances for the Whites. Where does this leave Cody Draheh? The England U21 International was expected by most to be a ready-made replacement for Ayling, but it seems he has fallen out of favour with Bielsa.

It will be a gamble if Leeds don't strengthen

Graham Smyth, the Chief Football Writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post, has written an interesting piece this morning. In it, he weighs up how much of a gamble Leeds will be taking if they fail to strengthen their squad before the transfer window slams shut at 11pm on Monday evening. Although Leeds are seven points clear of the drop zone, many teams in the bottom half have strengthened considerably this month. It would only take a couple of results to go against us, and we could get sucked back into a relegation dog fight.

Smyth was critical of the amount of training the squad endures, and even linked 'murderball' to Kalvin Phillips' lengthy spell on the sidelines, but insisted that Leeds would not have found themselves at the wrong end of the table had injuries not decimated the squad!

Kalvin Phillips is a good example, having gone into the Premier League for the first time on the back of a tiny pre-season break, before rushing headlong into the Euros and covering incredible distances for almost all of England’s march to the final. Before the midfielder had time to even begin to process what the last year of his life had brought, he was back doing murderball and getting ready for a new season. Maybe we should not be surprised that he ended up on the operating table having his hamstring fixed.

Phillips will be back soon enough, we’re told, and it never takes him that long to get into the swing of things again. If he doesn’t, Bielsa at least has Adam Forshaw, Robin Koch and Pascal Struijk as cover. Yet two of those men have had recent seasons disrupted in the extreme by injuries and surgeries and the other is just back from a rare foot problem.

Bielsa’s small squad preference, his methods and the ‘exacting standards’ he holds, as Angus Kinnear put it, are what brought Leeds to the big time and kept them there last season. He is the one they absolutely cannot afford to lose and what he wants, or doesn’t want, will always determine Leeds’ transfer window activity. He evidently has trust in the players he knows and the solutions he can find from within if further problems arise. But when his team is seven points from the drop zone, teams below are attempting to strengthen and injuries have been the only consistent thing about the season, can he afford to gamble?

Covid passes disbanded

Covid passes will no longer be enforced outside Elland Road. The news comes following the easing of the government's 'autumn and winter plan B' restrictions. Although restrictions are softening, recommendations to wear face masks will still be encouraged, though not enforceable. A statement from the league said...

As COVID-19 restrictions ease, it is vital supporters continue to do all they can to minimise the risk of passing on COVID-19. There are some simple ways fans can help keep each other safe on a matchday: Be responsible and do not travel if you have COVID-19 symptoms. Wear face coverings in indoor and crowded areas. Continue to regularly wash your hands. If possible, take a COVID-19 test on a matchday to check there is no risk of passing on the virus. The best way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 is to get vaccinated.

CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th January) Leeds linked with Ajax star

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

So Graham Smyth is into ' conspiracy theories ' about the injury situation as well...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 27th January) Leeds linked with Ajax star

Post by The Subhuman »

Looks like it, idiot
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Well it will be a huge gamble if no senior players come through the doors before window closes.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

We aren't getting Covid now..... FFS I thought we'd definitely get him :shock:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

A bit late in the day now to be trying to bring anyone in unless we are prepared, due to last minute panic, to be scammed on the transfer fee again ala JKA and Dan James. Any which way there will have to be a major overhaul squad wise in the Summer.

There is no doubt that, due to the lack of any business in this window to strengthen the 1st team, Radz is “playing Russian Roulette with himself”. I suppose he could say that bringing someone in or not bringing anyone in is an evens bet gamble.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I find the whole "should we get someone in" stuff a bit tedious/repetitive now.

I mean, yes if he's Pele going cheap and can get up to speed and Bamford and Phillips are definitely out for ages. No if he's JKA#2 and they're on the mend. They're are just so many issues to consider, the finances, what cover is actually needed, that big conclusions like "a signing would improve us" or "a signing is not necessary" are really beyond us.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

From yesterday's Breakfast debate
It has been well documented that Cody Drameh joined Cardiff on loan against Bielsa's wish
From today's
Where does this leave Cody Draheh? The England U21 International was expected by most to be a ready-made replacement for Ayling, but it seems he has fallen out of favour with Bielsa.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 am We aren't getting Covid now..... FFS I thought we'd definitely get him :shock:
:rol: :rol: :rol:

It's a life or death scenario whether we sign him, Rat :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:11 am I find the whole "should we get someone in" stuff a bit tedious/repetitive now.

I mean, yes if he's Pele going cheap and can get up to speed and Bamford and Phillips are definitely out for ages. No if he's JKA#2 and they're on the mend. They're are just so many issues to consider, the finances, what cover is actually needed, that big conclusions like "a signing would improve us" or "a signing is not necessary" are really beyond us.
I do think we have a space available for a full back, especially one that can play both sides.. It's about the only position I think we really need a player. Striker maybe but they're expensive and Man City failed to get one in the summer window so can't be easy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am I do think we have a space available for a full back, especially one that can play both sides.. It's about the only position I think we really need a player. Striker maybe but they're expensive and Man City failed to get one in the summer window so can't be easy
And a box to box goalscoring midfielder.....crying out for one!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:20 am From yesterday's Breakfast debate

From today's
like ...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:58 am A bit late in the day now to be trying to bring anyone in unless we are prepared, due to last minute panic, to be scammed on the transfer fee again ala JKA and Dan James. Any which way there will have to be a major overhaul squad wise in the Summer.

There is no doubt that, due to the lack of any business in this window to strengthen the 1st team, Radz is “playing Russian Roulette with himself”. I suppose he could say that bringing someone in or not bringing anyone in is an evens bet gamble.
Why do we wait until the last minute?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 am We aren't getting Covid now..... FFS I thought we'd definitely get him :shock:
He went to Arsenal instead....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

On this day two yeas ago we signed Jean Kevin Augustin.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

And everyone here rejoiced
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

That one's off - we are signing Jesus Manuel Corona now.

He will add to our collection of wingers.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:05 pm On this day two yeas ago we signed Jean Kevin Augustin.
Must have been a full moon on that day.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 am :rol: :rol: :rol:

It's a life or death scenario whether we sign him, Rat :lol:
:lol: :roflmao:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 am He went to Arsenal instead....
Really how will they cope with him, will he get enough game time :duno: