Weston McKennie

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Weston McKennie

Post by Sara »

King Hennessy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:30 pm For the couple seasons Weston played at Juve, all you would hear Juve fans talk about is his weight and how "unfit" he looked
That's funny, I thought it was just English fans who didn't know how to appreciate him.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:27 am Will be up this evening, Joe.

Hardly had chance to breathe this week. I'm watching a re-run of the first-half this morning, then the second-half later today.
No pressure at all. More of a compliment to the insight you provide. It’s been a regular “must read.” But definitely curious. I’ve gotta get my player ratings up :)
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:45 pm No pressure at all. More of a compliment to the insight you provide. It’s been a regular “must read.” But definitely curious. I’ve gotta get my player ratings up :)
Thank you, Joe.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:18 am That's funny, I thought it was just English fans who didn't know how to appreciate him.
I'm a fan, I love what he brings to the team. Like Klich, it's not flashy but it is quality. I've no idea or opinion either way wether he's here next season but right now, for me, he's key. He should only get better.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:18 pm I'm a fan, I love what he brings to the team. Like Klich, it's not flashy but it is quality. I've no idea or opinion either way wether he's here next season but right now, for me, he's key. He should only get better.
Agreed. He seems to get slightly better each week. Really curious to see how he’s playing with 4-5 games left as I think he’ll be at his peak by then.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:18 pm I'm a fan, I love what he brings to the team. Like Klich, it's not flashy but it is quality. I've no idea or opinion either way wether he's here next season but right now, for me, he's key. He should only get better.
Klich was a class above imo. Jury's out over McK for me, but I haven't been able to watch every game tbf.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:20 pm Klich was a class above imo. Jury's out over McK for me, but I haven't been able to watch every game tbf.
No I wouldn't say so, I love Klich, was my avatar for a long time and was only one of two in his camp here around the time TC shipped him out, basically for insubordination, It took Klich a while to establish himself at ER

.... They're not the same player though, McKennie is definitely better defensively, maybe a little more multi talented. Klich was better in the final third, just... There's really not much in it ...imo.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
King Hennessy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by King Hennessy »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:03 am And you hear the same crap from a small minority on this message board. They know who they are....
Ive seen it but it's still very early in his Leeds career. I believe that kind of talk will fade with his play. In Italy it was never going to happen. The way they obsess over another grown man's physique and diet is beyond me.
From a far away land that some call "Chiraq"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Forest

Good
23 passes
5 interceptions
2 defensive headers
2 headers
2 tackles (one exceptional)
2 runs
1 headed clearance
1 block
high passing accuracy

Bad
2 lost possession
1 pass
1 cross

Rating - 9.5 - Weston's best game in the white shirt of Leeds
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:47 pm Forest

Good
23 passes
5 interceptions
2 defensive headers
2 headers
2 runs
1 headed clearance
1 block
high passing accuracy

Bad
2 lost possession
1 pass
1 cross

There was a discussion on The Square Ball as to whether his lay off to Roca (that led to Harrison's goal) was a miskick or a touch of genius. I'd like to say that latter.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 pm There was a discussion on The Square Ball as to whether his lay off to Roca (that led to Harrison's goal) was a miskick or a touch of genius. I'd like to say that latter.
A discussion ?

Wtf is there to discuss ???

It was neither genius or a miskick.

It was awareness, simple as.

If he had done anything else i'd have been screaming at him for not doing what he did.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:47 pm Forest

Good
23 passes
5 interceptions
2 defensive headers
2 headers
2 runs
1 headed clearance
1 block
high passing accuracy

Bad
2 lost possession
1 pass
1 cross

Wow!! I’m cringing now that I only gave him an 8.5. What was I thinking ;)

Thanks so much for the rewatch, Leon! Good intel. Hoping for even better things from him against Palace!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

JoeDenver wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:15 pm Wow!! I’m cringing now that I only gave him an 8.5. What was I thinking ;)

Thanks so much for the rewatch, Leon! Good intel. Hoping for even better things from him against Palace!

You shouldn't be cringing.

The majority of the team deserved an all- round 8.0

There were no under- performers, and that's the most pleasant thing.

If we're gonna be pedantic give Jack a 8.1 and Meslier a 7.9

Weston gets an 8.0 along with Roca and the rest.

Javi gets a 8.1 also.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
geeno_philly
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by geeno_philly »

American homer here....love the Americans and watch as often as possible. But the soccer head in me.
McKennie...does look thick compared to what I have seen in the past few years. May be appearance cause EPL needs to be fitter than SerieA and LaLiga. Has only been here for a short time on his second coach. Schemes are not mastered in a short period of time, particularly after coming from Juve where he could freely run. Never sure if he has technical ability to play EPL. Surprised he hasnt scored of head yet.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Everyone get the fck out of here with any so called American love-in or hate-in.

I'm here to discuss how good they are along with Rasmus, Sinisterra, Willy etc...... and they're ALL on a level playing field as far as i'm concerned.

I judge every single player on what i see on the pitch and over the 90 mins.

I couldn't give a flying f**k if they're from Mars, or whether they're a English, Dutch, Scottish, French, Colombian, Skandi, Italian, Yankee, German, Spanish, or a twat from the Lord of the flies, it's what matters on the pitch for me and whether they earn their coin or not.

We have a right old mish mash, so let's see what Javi can do with em.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Hey, and after thinking we might miss TA and his workrate, i'm not reet bothered now coz Javi might have that in hand.

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:53 pm Hey, and after thinking we might miss TA and his workrate, i'm not reet bothered now coz Javi might have that in hand.
It's just that Javi knows how to adjust a game plan according to the players he has. Jessie only had one way. If a player was missing it made a huge difference. And TA was a key player in that set up. Javi is a lot smarter and knows how to make adjustments.

That Watford team that finished 10th under Javi would have got relegated under Marsch.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:25 pm No I wouldn't say so, I love Klich, was my avatar for a long time and was only one of two in his camp here around the time TC shipped him out, basically for insubordination, It took Klich a while to establish himself at ER

.... They're not the same player though, McKennie is definitely better defensively, maybe a little more multi talented. Klich was better in the final third, just... There's really not much in it ...imo.
I loved Klich's intelligence and reading of the game, as well as his attitude.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SaraM wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:09 pm I loved Klich's intelligence and reading of the game, as well as his attitude.
I don't think Klich and McKennie are the same discussion. But I would love to have Klich in Aaronson's position right now. I think he would have cut Forest to pieces. Thanks Jesse.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:09 pm I loved Klich's intelligence and reading of the game, as well as his attitude.
Absolute legend for us .... Probably my favourite player from the current era