Boos at the half time speech

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Qpr2024
Ballboy
Ballboy

Boos at the half time speech

Post by Qpr2024 »

QPR fan here to understand the boos at the half time speech. We would expect most people to support a grieving dad but wasn't the case at the away end last night.

For context, the man giving his speech lost his son (a former QPR youth player) 18 years ago, he created a charity in in son's name and was greiving and trying to gee up support for his charity and he got boos from the away end and when he addressed it the boos got louder.

My question is why?

Did something happen in the away end at the same time that we missed? (For the sake of humanity, I hope this was it)

Did you not think this was a place he could talk about the death of a former youth player/ his son?

Did he go on too long for your liking?

Or did you not like *the look* of him?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Boos at the half time speech

Post by Jaydog »

I wonder what Heidi will say about this.
If true it just sums up the evening really.
No normal person would boo something like that if they knew what it was about.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Heidi has mentioned there was a fight amongst our own fans in her blog, I wonder if this has something to do with it ?

I could understand some boos at our performance, but not to be so disrespectful to this.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

If there was a fight between our own, i can imagine the rest booing at that, Heidi could tell us if the fighting took place at h/t and if that explains it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Knowing how some of our scummy fans can behave, it doesnt/wouldnt surprise me that they took their anger out on that guy when he was speaking, which was shameful.
The most annoying thing is that it ends up having all the good Leeds fans tarred with the same brush, and thats disgusting.
Even if it turns out that the booing was all about our own fans fighting with each other then thats every bit as bad.The fact that they cant behave like grown ups says a lot about them. :tdown:
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Qpr2024
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Qpr2024 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:10 pm Statement from LUFC TRUST here….

https://x.com/lufctrust/status/1784191915602190673?s=46
The infighting theory makes more sense to me than the statement.

Why would people boo something they can't hear? .... And when the fella asked "Are you really booing?" that was heard clear enough to attract substantially more audiable boos... I'm not saying the statement is false but it doesn't add up

If your boys had some infighting and it happened to coincide with the timing of the speech, that would make more sense to me.

I am glad to see that the supports trust is trying to make amends though.

Good luck and I mean this bit in the nicest possible way - hope we don't see you next year.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Qpr2024 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 am The infighting theory makes more sense to me than the statement.

Why would people boo something they can't hear? .... And when the fella asked "Are you really booing?" that was heard clear enough to attract substantially more audiable boos... I'm not saying the statement is false but it doesn't add up

If your boys had some infighting and it happened to coincide with the timing of the speech, that would make more sense to me.

Good luck and I mean this bit in the nicest possible way - hope we don't see you next year.
Honestly mate, it really would surprise me if they knew what it was about and were booing, we have our own minutes for certain deaths and they're usually very well respected.

My own opinion is it's tied to the in house fighting around h/t, the only other thing i can think of, is if someone started booing your moment and they got headbutted for that, which wouldn't surprise me. If attentions were all drawn to our own fighting i should imagine a lot couldn't hear proper what was being said about your lad, and that might raise a few voices in itself, like ' Shhhhh stfu, can't you hear what they're trying to do ffs'

But my honest thoughts are it's tied into our fighting in house.

And good man :tup: for hoping you don't see us next year.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm also pretty sure that I remember hearing booing on tv, which i presumed was from our lot as soon as the h/t whistle went, which i thought was obviously for our performance, but i don't suppose your h/t thing would've even started then, but i'm just wondering if that's what kicked our fighting off.

;@)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Qpr2024 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 am QPR fan here to understand the boos at the half time speech. We would expect most people to support a grieving dad but wasn't the case at the away end last night.

For context, the man giving his speech lost his son (a former QPR youth player) 18 years ago, he created a charity in in son's name and was greiving and trying to gee up support for his charity and he got boos from the away end and when he addressed it the boos got louder.

My question is why?

Did something happen in the away end at the same time that we missed? (For the sake of humanity, I hope this was it)

Did you not think this was a place he could talk about the death of a former youth player/ his son?

Did he go on too long for your liking?

Or did you not like *the look* of him?
Sincere apologies for the behaviour of these "supporters" mate. That's shocking and disgraceful and I certainly won't offer any excuses.

The folks who did this should hang their heads in shame.

Apologies to Mark Prince and his family. After what they've endured the last thing they need is this.

Please don't view this behaviour as being reflective of our club and the majority of our civilized fan base.

At least we rolled over like puppies on the pitch to ensure QPR's Championship status. You deserved the win and your team showed fight and spirit to beat us.

The clever money says you'll be playing us again next season.

Best wishes to yourself, Mark Prince, his family, your club and all your supporters.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 am Sincere apologies for the behaviour of these "supporters" mate. That's shocking and disgraceful and I certainly won't offer any excuses.

Apologies to Mark Prince and his family. After what they've endured the last thing they need is this.

Please don't view this behaviour as being reflective of our club and the majority of our civilized fan base.

At least we rolled over like puppies on the pitch to ensure QPR's Championship status. You deserved the win and your team showed fight and spirit to beat us.

Best wishes to yourself, Mark Prince, his family, your club and all your supporters.
This - reflects my own thoughts
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

White Riot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 am Sincere apologies for the behaviour of these "supporters" mate. That's shocking and disgraceful and I certainly won't offer any excuses.

All of the above ^ from me too, couldn’t have said it better so won’t try.
Keeping The Faith
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Post by Lufcheidi »

Qpr2024 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 am The infighting theory makes more sense to me than the statement.

Hi I wrote in my blog about the infighting but that had happened before half time. Still think it carried on for longer though from what I heard and saw at the end of the game. I got back up in to the stand quite quickly and was able to hear what was said when your marathon winner came onto the pitch and met the guy talking about knife crime. I didn't know who he was and everyone was just stood listening to him but the booing coincided with him repeating about giving money and apparently one of your trainers coming over to the goal mouth in front of us. I still have no idea what started the booing but any fan coming back up into the stand wouldn't have been aware of what was being said as I'm sure there wasn't much you could hear below the stand. I don't think they were out to boo anything about someone being knifed to death as that is too close to our fans who were murdered and it is a very emotional subject. I have no answers but obviously I cannot speak for everyone but all those around me were respectful with no booing. Something happened to the left of us which started the booing but I haven't heard anyone say why. I was stood to the right of the goal not far from the corner flag and was stood on the second row. We could hear quite clearly where we were stood.