Scottish Football Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Scottish Football Thread

Post by 1964white »

Yet another ding-dong battle ongoing between the famous two.

With three points separating the Glaswegians, and both have four matches to play, the deciding factor could be their notorious derby at Celtic Park on 11th May.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 09.14.51.png
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Scottish Football Thread

Post by Orange Box »

I’m waiting…. Come on everybody, let’s have it … both barrels.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

As a boy/teenager, my Scottish team was always Celtic.

I saw that great Celtic side knock us out of the European Cup semi-finals in 1970.

The hoops were frightening as they outplayed us, with Jimmy Johnstone weaving & ruuning us ragged all evening.

A team that consisted of Hay, Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Johnstone, Connelly, Hughes, Lennox & Auld were simply awesome!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:20 am I’m waiting…. Come on everybody, let’s have it … both barrels.
A topic specifically designed for you, OB :lol:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Scottish football is absolute garbage. How the fans can get excited about Rangers and Celtic being the top 2 every single season is beyond me.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Been to a lot of Rangers v c@lt@c games in the 70's & 80's, wasn't for the faint hearted in those days.
Whats the difference though between the top 2 always fighting it out in Scotland to the top 2 in England !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:34 am A topic specifically designed for you, OB :lol:
Every fibre of my being is grateful … :roll:
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:22 am Scottish football is absolute garbage. How the fans can get excited about Rangers and Celtic being the top 2 every single season is beyond me.
My local(ish) team is Stranraer. I rang them up the other week to buy a ticket and ask what time the game started. They asked me what time I could get there … boom, boom.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am Every fibre of my being is grateful … :roll:
Chilli is prodding the beast within :whip:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:22 am Scottish football is absolute garbage. How the fans can get excited about Rangers and Celtic being the top 2 every single season is beyond me.
It's not about being excited about being top two it is about being terrified of being second out if those two.!!!!

The Old Firm always remind me of the First World War.
People from all over Europe and beyond fighting someone else's battles..

Went to a few back in the day, as has been said not for the faint hearted.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am Every fibre of my being is grateful … :roll:
A pleasure :tup:
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I dont care much for Scottish football, the sickening thing about it is the religious hateread that exsists between the 2 sets of fans. Its fine not likeing other teams when its football related, thats all part and parcel of the game, but what goes on in Glasgow is pathetic and shameful.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

GreennWhite wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 pm I dont care much for Scottish football, the sickening thing about it is the religious hateread that exsists between the 2 sets of fans. Its fine not likeing other teams when its football related, thats all part and parcel of the game, but what goes on in Glasgow is pathetic and shameful.
I’ve never fully understood it to be honest Greenie, but I agree football is one thing, religious hatred is another thing entirely.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

As Ian rightly says "fighting other peoples battles"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

As a kid watching the football scores on Grandstand on a Saturday I did always want to see a Forfar 5 v East Fife 4 scoreline read out, but I don't recall it ever happening.

I don't really take that much notice of the Scottish game but even I've noticed in the last few years there seem to be team names that I don't recall from maybe 5-10yrs ago, such as Kelty Hearts, The Spartans, Bonnyrigg Rose - did they expand the number of teams in the league, or have these just come up through the Scottish pyramid structure, whilst names I might recall have fallen on hard times and gone down the other way.....like a Hartlepool, Rochdale, York etc ??

Sure OB will know :duno:
Lorimer46
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @dsc67

Post by Lorimer46 »

Teams like East Stirlingshire and others who constantly finished at the bottom of league 2 and had very little ambition in trying to improve have rightfully spat out the league into the Lowland league.
We now also have a few of the clubs from the junior league set up who have given up their junior status and became full members of the SFA , some of them have shown some ambition and are looking to progress , the pyramid system in Scotland isn't perfect by any means but it does now mean that clubs can progress if they want to , some of the ex junior clubs also have a wee bit of cash to splash compared too other clubs.
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
Jimstorrie
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimstorrie »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:27 am As a boy/teenager, my Scottish team was always Celtic.

I saw that great Celtic side knock us out of the European Cup semi-finals in 1970.

The hoops were frightening as they outplayed us, with Jimmy Johnstone weaving & ruuning us ragged all evening.

A team that consisted of Hay, Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Johnstone, Connelly, Hughes, Lennox & Auld were simply awesome!
Celtic's man of the match was Alan Hardaker.
Not that I'm still bitter.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:07 pm As a kid watching the football scores on Grandstand on a Saturday I did always want to see a Forfar 5 v East Fife 4 scoreline read out, but I don't recall it ever happening.

I don't really take that much notice of the Scottish game but even I've noticed in the last few years there seem to be team names that I don't recall from maybe 5-10yrs ago, such as Kelty Hearts, The Spartans, Bonnyrigg Rose - did they expand the number of teams in the league, or have these just come up through the Scottish pyramid structure, whilst names I might recall have fallen on hard times and gone down the other way.....like a Hartlepool, Rochdale, York etc ??

Sure OB will know :duno:
Someone, I can't remember who, did a comedy sketch about that scoreline but it was "East Fife 5 so far Forfar 4" 😁
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I used to look out for Meadowbank Thistle's scores for no other reason than I liked their name.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:51 am I used to look out for Meadowbank Thistle's scores for no other reason than I liked their name.
Can’t think of a better reason, that’s how I pick horses in the National
Keeping The Faith