The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th April) All Phillips is interested in, is playing for Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th April) All Phillips is interested in, is playing for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Afternoon. It's Tuesday 30th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

All Phillips is interested in, is playing for Leeds

Kalvin Phillips is only interested interested in playing for Leeds Utd, according to withheld sources discussing the 28yo holding midfielder with 'Football Insider'. Phillips has endured a torrid two years (nearly) away from Elland Road since his £42m move to the Etihad. His loan spell to West Ham (in January) was supposed to get him back on track in preparation for the Euro's this Summer, but nothing has been further from the truth.

Furthermore the Hammer's coaches have criticised Phillips for his poor attitude in training. He sit's bottom of David Moyes 25 man squad with a 'Whoscored' rating of just 5.89 over 309 minutes of game time! Sources suggest that Leeds Utd would be keen to broker a deal, but it would have to be around £15m, and only if they won promotion.

Is Meslier a scape-goat

Conceding eight goals from twelve shots is never good, but is Leeds shot stopper Illan Meslier getting the rough end of the stick? Still only 24, the 6ft 6' Frenchman has taken his fair share of flack since joining the Whites (initially on loan) in 2019. He quickly displaced Kiko Casilla after the Jonathan Leko affair, but due to a lack of competition for the No1 jersey, Meslier has become complacent. It's easy to look at his 18 clean sheets this season, but when you delve deeper you see a shot-stopper languishing in 18th position with a save percentage of just 68.4%.

Huddersfield promise not to roll over at Ipswich Town

Huddersfield Town boss Andre Breitenreiter has assured Leeds fans that his side will go down swinging at the weekend, when they visit Ipswich Town. It may be too late to same them from relegation, but the Terriers have a big say in who joins Leicester City in the Premier League (automatically) next season, if Leeds can overcome Southampton. Barring a mathematical miracle, Town's draw with Birmingham City means they'll be playing League One football next season, but have promised to give it their all when they play Ipswich Town on Saturday.

We have to be professional for the last game and maybe decide the promotion battle," the German said after the draw with Birmingham. It’s our task to do our job. We want to finish the season with a good result and after we have hold conversations about individuals and about the future. The whole analysis will take place after the season. It is difficult to win with 15 goals next weekend. But we weren’t relegated today.

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th April) All Phillips is interested in, is playing for Leeds

Post by Orange Box »

The dogs did us a favour in our last promotion season. It kinda sticks in the throat to rely on them again.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th April) All Phillips is interested in, is playing for Leeds

Post by whiteinfrance »

We need to send Sean Bean to Huddersfield to rally the troops

'DO IT FOR YORKSHIRE' :)
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

I can’t see Ipswich failing against Huddersfield, but they could tonight v Coventry leaving the door open for us.

Always had Coventry as my second team 😂
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Aye, we’re all Sky Blue tonight. :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteinfrance wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 am We need to send Sean Bean to Huddersfield to rally the troops

'DO IT FOR YORKSHIRE' :)
:lol: aye classic
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Phillips, no thanks , not at any low offer, Gray, Ampadu, Kamara & Gruev, all better.

Meslier probably is the scapegoat to some, but it's also down to the defence, when we weren't conceding the whole back line (firpo apart) looked solid, now it's not the case but easier to blame the keeper.

Lets beat southampton then see what happens, thats if, and a big if, coventry get something tonight.

Remember
Negativity shouts and positivity whispers, it only takes one negative voice to impact on everyone else.

C'mon United.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:15 am I can’t see Ipswich failing against Huddersfield, but they could tonight v Coventry leaving the door open for us.

Always had Coventry as my second team 😂
I love Coventry, and they looked pretty good in midfield and attack when they've played us this season. They have the best tally against us with 4 points. Although Saints could beat that at the weekend, imagine that :verysad:

I did fancy one of Hull or Coventry to beat Ipswich and the other side to draw with them. So I'll stick with my belief that Coventry will beat Ipswich tonight. The Tractor Boys have been vulnerable at the back all season, and definitely were at Hull. Coventry have the weapons to beat them as they showed against us.

Ipswich will beat the Dog Botherers easily, but I expect we will beat Southampton and be promoted on goal difference.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am I love Coventry, and they looked pretty good in midfield and attack when they've played us this season. They have the best tally against us with 4 points. Although Saints could beat that at the weekend, imagine that :verysad:

I did fancy one of Hull or Coventry to beat Ipswich and the other side to draw with them. So I'll stick with my belief that Coventry will beat Ipswich tonight. The Tractor Boys have been vulnerable at the back all season, and definitely were at Hull. Coventry have the weapons to beat them as they showed against us.

Ipswich will beat the Dog Botherers easily, but I expect we will beat Southampton and be promoted on goal difference.
We’re definitely doomed then :o
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I think it will be a draw tonight but unfortunately they will trounce Huddersfield on Saturday despite what their manager says.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

KP is a Leeds supporter, so he's always welcome to come and watch us. But to bring him back as a player, we'd have to be off our rockers. When he was here he missed plenty of matches through injury and suspension. Let's remember that despite him being a Leeds lad, supporting the club, loving playing for us, and being worshipped by us, he chose to leave.

When things haven't worked out, he wants to come back. But there are a number of reasons that we shouldn't sign him:
1. Guardiola took one look at him and said "You're not up to the job". that's the assessment of one of the top coaches in England, Europe and the world. I'll back his judgement.
2. He's hardly played for two seasons and looks completely washed up to me. His fitness has gone, touch has gone and so has his confidence.
3. He had another lifeline thrown to him by West Ham and Moyes, in his ex-peer Declan Rice's position, and has failed miserably.
4. Will he suddenly have found a way to become less injury and suspension prone? I doubt that very much.
5, There are other better and cheaper options available before we even consider going down the KP highway.

KP would actually fit into DF's boring double pivot, Southgate 2.0, his competition there would be Kamara and Gruev, who are definitely not world beaters, but no worse than KP at the moment. I've serious doubts over those two being up to EPL standard. If we do up we need an EPL level holding midfielder and a playmaker, as well as improvement in many other positions. I don't believe KP is what we should be looking for.

So, no I don't think we should take a punt on resurrecting KP's career, and that's apart from his fee and wages.

I don't just view Meslier over this season. He has been shocking over the previous two seasons as well. You can say the defence and midfield were shocking too. But Meslier has never developed into what we hoped for. No command of the box, can't catch a ball. can't distribute the ball, shot stopping awful. On most occasions he concedes from the first shot on target, which means we are trailing all the time. He needs ditched in the summer and a competent goalie brought in, Viktor Johansson for one million is a bargain for this level, and if we go up getting a new quality goalkeeper is essential.

Huddersfield have no chance of getting anything at Ipswich. We need Coventry to beat them tonight and then we're back in the driving seat and will get promoted.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:01 am We’re definitely doomed then :o
Have faith Jay :) :)

Ipswich are gonna loose twonight ;-)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:20 am Have faith Jay :) :)

Ipswich are gonna loose twonight ;-)
3-3
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

sad to say but KP has gone to seed.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:51 am3-3
Nah, ajunt Davis will knock the own goal winner in for Coventry and give the Ipswich fans the Leeds salute 😂
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Phillips should have thought about that before he expressed a desire to leave I personally wouldn’t want him back, too expensive and too injury prone - we don’t have the resources to cover him.

Think I saw we had conceded 8 from the last 12 shots on target - sometimes Mes can make world class saves other times anything gets past him

Whilst it’s the victors prerogative to lord it over the loser it was annoying hearing “I predict the playoffs” directed at Leeds last night. I hope the EPL have a nice 10 point deduction waiting for the cheating shits.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

White Riot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 am Nah, ajunt Davis will knock the own goal winner in for Coventry and give the Ipswich fans the Leeds salute 😂
I had a random call from someone in Daventry this morning. That’s where all the Coventry rejects live so maybe it’s an omen.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Phillips as the holding midfielder and Gray as box to box, what is not to like about that?

Obviously it is bull but there ya go..

Ipswich will not lose tonight and will go a goal up on Saturday withing 10 minutes to completely dampen the mood at our place.

Meslier is in my opinion not a big game player, he gets overawed and I think his concentration suffers as a result.
He may grow out of it, who knows?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

WhiteRose wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:06 am Phillips should have thought about that before he expressed a desire to leave I personally wouldn’t want him back, too expensive and too injury prone - we don’t have the resources to cover him.

Think I saw we had conceded 8 from the last 12 shots on target - sometimes Mes can make world class saves other times anything gets past him

Whilst it’s the victors prerogative to lord it over the loser it was annoying hearing “I predict the playoffs” directed at Leeds last night. I hope the EPL have a nice 10 point deduction waiting for the cheating shits.
Reduced to 2 after the FA wait til the last week of the season so they can decide which team at the bottom they’d prefer to stay up.
Keeping The Faith
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

White Riot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 am Nah, ajunt Davis will knock the own goal winner in for Coventry and give the Ipswich fans the Leeds salute 😂
Davis injured is he not?
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons