The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 10th May) Norwich star charged with drink driving days before Play off Semi-Final

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 10th May) Norwich star charged with drink driving days before Play off Semi-Final

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 10th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Norwich star charged with drink driving days before Play off Semi-Final

Norwich City centre-back Shane Duffy has been arrested and charged with drink driving just days before the crunch semi-final play off against Leeds at Carrow Road. The 32 year old Republic of Ireland ace walked away from a two car collision unharmed near his home in Hethersett, but was found to be almost three times over the drink drive limit (102mcg), and was taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre for questioning. The drink drive limit is 35 micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath. He has been bailed to appear before local magistrates in July. A spokesman for the East Anglian club told press it was an internal matter for the club but based on his impressive season is bound to play against Leeds on Sunday!

Boro turn down Greenwood deal

Sam Greenwood has returned to Elland Road after Middlesbrough decided against making the move permanent. The versatile forward has spent the entire season on loan at the Riverside Stadium where he made 25 starts, scoring five times, and creating three assists. Michael Carrick had the option to make the move permanent for just £1.5m, but has decided against it. Even though Ayling, Greenwood, Drameh and Poveda have already returned to Leeds, rules bought in during the 17/18 season mean they cannot be used during the play-offs!

Was Ayling let go too soon

Luke Ayling too, has returned to Elland Road following his loan spell, but is expected to pen a two year year contract with the Smoggo's when the transfer window opens in several weeks. The veteran full back has been in great form for Boro. He topped their Whoscored charts with an impressive 7.01 rating, which also includes 8 assists. He may be 32yo, and lost some of his pace, but going forward has proved to be solid and dependable!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 10th May) Norwich star charged with drink driving days before Play off Semi-Final

Post by The Subhuman »

Yes Ayling was let go too soon, but he wanted to go and we know how hard it is to get into Farke's team once dropped. Had he stayed I doubt he'd have played ...

Greenwood started the season hot but seems to have faded, first full season for him might be why. If we stay down he'll be an asset but likely to go on loan again
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 10th May) Norwich star charged with drink driving days before Play off Semi-Final

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez, our resident forever clown admirer should ring up the said clown, and ask him if like teams seem to have done with us, did he not have the good sense to include 'return to sender' in any of our trash buys.

Best of British to ya DF, you're gonna need it in the coming months, with your full table of unbelievable offers that'll be just too good to refuse for : Rasmus, Llorente, Aarons..............

Oh i can't be feckin arsed typing, i'll be here ALL day.....

Just do a firesale DF.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I don't think Greenwood has a future with us other than as a squad bench warmer so I think he will get a permanent move this summer.

Good luck to Luke at Boro, I hope he does well in what is likely to be his last club.

I'll be amazed if Duffy plays on Sunday. Three times over the limit just days before a play off game. A really piss poor decision by Norwich if they allow him to play.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Duffy will definitely play, football teams have shown time and time again they don’t care how players represent them off the pitch. Fans do t really care either, got to admit if it was Rodon or Amps I’d still want them to play.

Don’t think ayling should of gone no, he had the odd blip in defence but was no worse than anyone else we have had there this season and he adds a lot more going forwards than grey or byram.

I thought greenwood had done enough to get a permanent deal at boro surprised they are not signing him for a fairly cheap price.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

WhiteRose wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:17 am Duffy will definitely play, football teams have shown time and time again they don’t care how players represent them off the pitch. Fans do t really care either, got to admit if it was Rodon or Amps I’d still want them to play.

Don’t think ayling should of gone no, he had the odd blip in defence but was no worse than anyone else we have had there this season and he adds a lot more going forwards than grey or byram.

I thought greenwood had done enough to get a permanent deal at boro surprised they are not signing him for a fairly cheap price.
With Duffy, it's not just about being drunk, it's the fact he could have killed an innocent pedestrian or another driver.
I don't agree fans don't care either. I'd be disgusted if it was one of our players.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

With Duffy we enter the weird hypocritical world where punishment should always be meted out to others...

If he plays Leeds fans have valuable ammunition to get under his skin.

Greenwood back then. Might be a decent 10 next season, and perhaps him and Joffy can renew their partnership of two seasons back.

Ayling would not have played. Is he a better RB than Archie? Hell yes. But Archie needs development, and that means game time.
Ayling is a big game player though and imo we have very few of those in our team...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Chilli D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:41 am With Duffy, it's not just about being drunk, it's the fact he could have killed an innocent pedestrian or another driver.
I don't agree fans don't care either. I'd be disgusted if it was one of our players.
Well said. I would be disgusted if one of team did that. Shows no care or respect for others. Were we all proud when Woodgate and Bowyer decided to beat some kid up. No! It brought shame on our beloved club. Our reputation to rise above is worth more than a player who was lucky not to kill someone.

If it was one of us mortals we would be very ashamed! And probably not get bail, lose our licence (defo for 2 years), get a massive fine and maybe a bit of time.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Irish Ian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:40 am With Duffy we enter the weird hypocritical world where punishment should always be meted out to others...

If he plays Leeds fans have valuable ammunition to get under his skin.

Greenwood back then. Might be a decent 10 next season, and perhaps him and Joffy can renew their partnership of two seasons back.

Ayling would not have played. Is he a better RB than Archie? Hell yes. But Archie needs development, and that means game time.
Ayling is a big game player though and imo we have very few of those in our team...
Good point on the ammunition to get under Duffy's skin. He won't like that much.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

On other news...Everton withdraw their appeal over the 2 point deduction.

Funny how that happens now they are 100% safe. What a load of cynical, self centred crap!
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Clitheroe White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 am Good point on the ammunition to get under Duffy's skin. He won't like that much.
Not sure there is much ammo. Getting pished and crashing a rather expensive car amounts to Kudos in Football land.

It is one of the lesser evils that the over paid feckers get up to.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Very few will offer an opinion on Ayling, many wanted him out the door and yet praise Firpo on a regular basis. I am no mathematician but I suspect Ayling has done a far better job in the fullback role since the New year. Pound for pound wages wise I bet he also represented better value.
But he would not have got anywhere near the same amount of minutes here - in hindsight was his lack of playing time and loan a good decision. I think the statistical evidence may suggest otherwise.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Clitheroe White wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 am Good point on the ammunition to get under Duffy's skin. He won't like that much.
That usually rebounds,…. Think I’d be happier he didn’t play
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We assumed Roberts would play RB for us consistently. That didn’t happen for reasons I don’t understand.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Wont be the least bit surprised to see Duffy play against us. If it comes down to them being better with him in the team its a no brainer. They will keep him in the team if it gives them a better chance to get promoted, and come up with the usual clap trap of " its being dealt with internally "
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

DDB220 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:33 pm Very few will offer an opinion on Ayling, many wanted him out the door and yet praise Firpo on a regular basis. I am no mathematician but I suspect Ayling has done a far better job in the fullback role since the New year. Pound for pound wages wise I bet he also represented better value.
But he would not have got anywhere near the same amount of minutes here - in hindsight was his lack of playing time and loan a good decision. I think the statistical evidence may suggest otherwise.
Always liked Luke, he’s still Leeds through & through as he showed when he attended the Millwall game and left money behind the bar in The Peacock ( or the Luke Ale Inn til the end of the season )for the supporters to have a drink. With Spence on loan , Archie playing regularly, Byram getting some game time & then Roberts arriving his game time would have been severely limited and he just wanted to play football so it was the right decision for both parties at the time. He would have been brilliant in the dressing room over the past couple of months and maybe knocked some sense into some of the players though.
I wish him well whatever happens next.
Keeping The Faith
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Premier League club boss wins anonymity in child sex abuse civil case.
We shouldn’t be surprised any more but the Premier League boss ( who’s still in his job ) has been awarded anonymity in the civil case against him for “ allegedly “sexually abusing a15 year old girl. What’s everyone’s first reaction reading this ? A. No smoke without fire or B. Innocent until proven guilty ??
Keeping The Faith
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Chilli D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:41 am With Duffy, it's not just about being drunk, it's the fact he could have killed an innocent pedestrian or another driver.
Not really what I meant, you can of course be disgusted but 99% of fans would still want him to play if it meant winning and would still celebrate if he scored for example.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Leeds Man City FA youth cup final today. I know there are very few fans of the youth team here but thought I'd alert those that might want to watch

It's on The FA's own player
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:12 am Yes Ayling was let go too soon, but he wanted to go and we know how hard it is to get into Farke's team once dropped. Had he stayed I doubt he'd have played ...

Greenwood started the season hot but seems to have faded, first full season for him might be why. If we stay down he'll be an asset but likely to go on loan again
I think Greenwood is out of contract - as are all the loanees mentioned in the intro (Ayling, Drameh, Poveda). I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Greenwood. Think he could have been a useful tactical change for us at times,