The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Phil Hay’s successor gets frosty reception

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Phil Hay’s successor gets frosty reception

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 24th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road…

Nancy's frosty LUFC reception

Filling Phil Hay's shoes was always going to be a tall order. Working his way up from reporter to Chief Football Writer at the Yorkshire Evening Post, followed by a five year stint with The Athletic, life was never dull for the Edinburgh born journalist.

He followed Leeds Utd through the trials and tribulations, with the same trepidation as us fans for 18 long years. To many, he became part of the fixtures and fittings at Elland Road, and was privy to many of the goings-on behind the scenes.

His sudden departure mid June was as much about the change of ownership, than it was about the new role offered to him by the New York Times, the parent company of The Athletic! Gone was his capacity to come and go as he pleased, and with it, his ability to be on hand to break the latest stories!

To say Nancy Froston has been thrown in at the deep end is somewhat of an understatement. Her previous role covering (the Wendies,) general Championship and lower league teams will not have prepared her for Leeds or their fanbase. She's been getting a hard time by certain sections of the ER faithful too.

For those of us who pay a subscription, we expect to be kept in the know, but she has openly admitted that she cares more about getting the story correct, than getting the actual scoop. As admirable as that may be, aren't the rumours half the fun?

Her free flowing writing doesn't disappoint, but just like the new kid at School, she'll need to be given time to settle into her new role. She's been working with Phil Hay since January, so should by now have a good idea what we're all about! Only time will tell!

Confusion about Szmodics

Conflicting reports concerning the proposed transfer of Sammie Szmodics is confusing Leeds fans on social media.

Elland Road journalist Beren Cross has fervently denied that the Republic of Ireland ace is even on their radar, whilst talkSPORT Chief Football Correspondent Alex Crook is equally as confident last season's leading Championship scorer is firmly in their sights, and are now in talks with the hierarchy at Ewood Park.

The 28yo would represent a marquee signing, but Leeds don't need an attacking midfielder, unless he's going to lead the line, or replace Summerville on the wing (which would be highly unlikely). On top of that, Blackburn are demanding a fee in the region of £20m, even though Szmodics is in the last 12 months of his contract!

Ampadu named skipper

Ethan Ampadu has been named Leeds Utd club captain for the 24/25 season.

The 23yo, was one of only two players to break through the 5000 minute barrier (for club and Country) last season, and became an even more instrumental figure after Christmas, having to drop back to centre-half to cover for Pascal Struijk after his groin injury!

Struijk and Illan Meslier have been named as vice captains, putting an end to speculation linking the shot-stopper with a move to Marseilles!

Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) Nancy's frosty LUFC reception

Post by Clitheroe White »

Nancy - give her time, she will find her feet.

Szmodics - happy either way, this will be down to whether Farke wants him in team (or not). My suspicion is NOT at £20m.

Captain - good choice for cap and vice cap. How does Struijk feel about this decision is probably the more pertinent question having been "demoted".
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) Nancy's frosty LUFC reception

Post by Ellandback1 »

GawayXUAAiv5q.jpeg
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I hope it pans out for Nancy but I have my doubts.

She appears articulate and knowledgeable but I’m afraid I don’t find her at all engaging when doing interviews, vlogs etc - I haven’t yet managed to listen to her right to the end of a piece.

Not so much due to lack of content or insight, it’s just a delivery thing, and perhaps that’s where she suffers most in taking over from Mr Hay - he always spoke with confidence and a dry quick wit, very entertaining and a hard act to follow.

If Elland’s assertion regarding more limited club access under the 49ers is correct, she’s definitely got her work cut out.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have no clue, yet, who Nancy is....
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

20m for Szmodics would be a crazy price to pay. And if we were to pay that sort of amount i would guess it would come after we have got that some of money from the sale of either Willy or Jimmy. Those 2 leaving would be a massive blow to us.
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Ellandback1 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:25 am I hope it pans out for Nancy but I have my doubts.

She appears articulate and knowledgeable but I’m afraid I don’t find her at all engaging when doing interviews, vlogs etc - I haven’t yet managed to listen to her right to the end of a piece.

Not so much due to lack of content or insight, it’s just a delivery thing, and perhaps that’s where she suffers most in taking over from Mr Hay - he always spoke with confidence and a dry quick wit, very entertaining and a hard act to follow.

If Elland’s assertion regarding more limited club access under the 49ers is correct, she’s definitely got her work cut out.
It's what I have been told by a recognised journalist. Before the 49ers took over, Hay may as well have had his own key, but things were changing.Yes, Phil's writing was supremely confident - he was making a statement.
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:55 am GawayXUAAiv5q.jpeg
Thoughts on the away kit, and the smiley badge. I'm amazed they have done that...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:36 am Thoughts on the away kit, and the smiley badge. I'm amazed they have done that...
Shirt is nice, badge has been drawn awfully which completely ruins the shirt for me. If they'd simply put the old smiley badge on the shirt then I think it would have been one of our nicest shirts for many years.
If you had 3 half pieces of rhubarb, 7 quarter pieces, 5 thirds and 12 twentieths and put them all up your bottom what would you have?
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:49 am Shirt is nice, badge has been drawn awfully which completely ruins the shirt for me. If they'd simply put the old smiley badge on the shirt then I think it would have been one of our nicest shirts for many years.
I love the colour scheme, not sure about the collar tho
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:50 am I have no clue, yet, who Nancy is....
Is it because ah is white and ah is a woman dat you don't like me? Ah know the offside rule yo'all.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:03 am I love the colour scheme, not sure about the collar tho
The collar annoys me too, maybe it’ll look better unbuttoned.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:32 am The collar annoys me too, maybe it’ll look better unbuttoned.
Collars are OK, especially if you can do the Cantona lift to them.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Phil Hay’s successor gets frosty reception

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Hooray yellow at last !
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:32 am The collar annoys me too, maybe it’ll look better unbuttoned.
That was also my first thought when i saw the pictures of the players wearing them. Football shirts, Polo shirts just dont look right when they are buttoned all the way up.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th July) - Phil Hay’s successor gets frosty reception

Post by GreennWhite »

I have also found that sometimes football shirts actually look better in real life, than they do in pictures.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

I think Nancy comes across too cautious and her throughput is considerably slower. She’s in danger of making herself irrelevant. She needs to grab the bull by the horns…
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Ellandback1 »

LOGO'S.jpg
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:15 pm LOGO'S.jpg
It's just wrong, the u especially. The new logo looks like a squashed tennis ball.
If you had 3 half pieces of rhubarb, 7 quarter pieces, 5 thirds and 12 twentieths and put them all up your bottom what would you have?
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

There's not too much difference in the logo, and we know what it is, I'm so glad we finally have a yellow away shirt agin, pink, peuce, purple, green & blue, purple etc, all were shite, I wear or buy football shirts personally , but this one looks good.
Also one of the better badges, along with the lufc scroll or peacock.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"