Gaetano Berardi‘s “beautiful journey” at Leeds United comes to an end

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Gaetano Berardi‘s “beautiful journey” at Leeds United comes to an end

Post by YorkshireSquare »

It was announced by the club this morning that along with Pablo Hernandez, legend Gaetano Berardi will be leaving the club this summer. Gaetano Berardi was a rarity, a diamond in the rough of mediocrity brought in from Italy by Massimo Cellino back in 2014. Whilst Marco Silvestri, Tommaso Bianchi, Mirco Antenucci, Giuseppe Bellusci and Giuseppe Bellusci are mere footnotes, and bad ones at that, in Leeds United’s history, Gaetano Berardi will go down as a promotion winning hero. One could never accuse Gaetano Berardi of leaving anything out on the pitch! At a time when there where players cared little for the shirt they were wearing there was Gaetano Berardi, giving it everything.

Berardi always stood up for what was right, he shunned the sicknote seven, he told Pontus Jansson exactly what he thought of him when he disobeyed Marcelo Bielsa’s instructions to let Aston Villa score. Side before self may have been the doctrine of Billy Bremner but he could have coined it for Gaetano Berardi. When last season restarted players across the league refused to play in case it affected future transfers. Not Berra, there was nothing that could have stopped him playing Leeds United’s remaining games despite his contract being up at the end of June. With the injury to Kalvin Phillips, Berardi stepped into central defence against Barnsley. It was not a pretty game but it was a vital victory that won Leeds United promotion back to the Premier League and Berardi played a huge role in it.

It was heart-breaking therefore to see him stretchered off the pitch against Derby, his ACL torn after a bad landing, at least nine months out. He celebrated on the pitch after the game, leg braced, on crutches. When the euphoria of becoming Champions subsided Berardi may have reflected on his decision to play on without a contract, this season a write-off potentially with no club. A fiercely loyal player, the club repaid that loyalty, Berra signing a new one-year contract with the club until the end of this season. His reward came against Southampton when he made his Premier League debut and I’m not afraid to say I shed a little tear.

But now it is the ‘end of the beautiful journey’ and Berardi departs with an open letter to the fans. If there is one player who has encompassed the spirit of this team, what ‘side before self’ really means it is Gaetano Berardi and for that he will have a place in our hearts forever.

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Gaetano Berardi‘s “beautiful journey” at Leeds United comes to an end

Post by lufc1304 »

Read this on Twitter earlier, must have been really dusty........ :cry:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Berardi was the only Leeds player you could begrudgingly excuse for getting sent off. Simply because he was Berardi!
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:12 am Read this on Twitter earlier, must have been really dusty........ :cry:

Gutted about todays news. We knew it was coming but genuinely sad.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Great post YS, a fitting tribute to a Leeds hero. I hope he comes back often.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Gaetano was maybe not as gifted as Pablo but he deserves as much respect in my mind.The way he played in the play-off,s when he could have said no and ended with a horrific injury in doing so.In my mind he is the one player in whos Billy,s saying is true SIDE BEFORE SELF.Good look Bera you have deserved a place in our hearts and will never be forgotten.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Great post to a great player never the most skilful but one that put everything into every game, loved by the various managers we've had, loved by his team mates, respected by the opposition and absolutely adored by Leeds fans, a real sad day for a man that will be greatly missed :clap: :clap: :clap:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I read somewhere, and don't know if it is accurate or not, that in the last 18 matches Berardi played we have only conceded 5 goals.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I was there for his debut and his moment of madness!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sunday evening is going to be a tearjerker :verysad:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Another good descript YS.

Full blooded is the best was to describe Bera and we all love that at Leeds. Fearless and competitive he never let anyone down even when he got sent off. :) Personally i preferred him at FB but always surprised me when filling in a CB, he had a great leap for someone who is under 6ft. I wish him well in finding his next venture and then hope he has enough money to retire in the Swiss Alps. :tup:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

bera's goal against Newport.

https://youtu.be/aSGguVfjRZI

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bera's goal against Salford

https://youtu.be/YhNlic0N-vc

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Warhorse, plain and simple!!!!
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

Always put it all on the line. Leeds through and through.

Huge respect to the man, an honour to have him at our club. Sunday will be a sad day, but the memories of his never say die attitude, and the role he played in our renaissance, should never be forgotten.

Good luck sir.
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Currie14 »

Much love 7 respect, thanks for the memories. ❤
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

One of my all-time favorite players in fifty years of following the club. Might not have had the most talent ever, but nobody ever worked to the limits of his abilities more than Bera, and nobody ever gave more of himself for the club. Also never had more fun watching one of our own pick up a yellow (or even a red). Bera is a beast in the best possible sense.

His story makes me proud to be for Leeds. What other club would have given him a contract for this year, even though they knew he wouldn't play?
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

No shame in using the cliche here, but Bera always gave 110%. He's Leeds through and through and will always be remembered fondly by Leeds fans. An absolute warrior, I was hoping we might have seen him sign a contract extension for one more year so we could see him terrify a few snowflake premier league forwards next season. It doesn't feel right without seeing Bera get one more yellow or red; perhaps Sunday ;-) :) (hope he doesn't get injured though).

Like Pablo, I'm dearly hoping they will one day be reconnected to the club in some capacity. Pablo as an attacking coach, and Bera as a defence coach.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

According to Opta Leeds haven't conceded a single goal while Berardi has been on the pitch in his last nine matches comprising of 457 minutes. Also unbeaten in his last 19 matches.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

According to Opta Leeds haven't conceded a single goal while Berardi has been on the pitch in his last nine matches comprising of 457 minutes. Also unbeaten in his last 19 matches.
Nothing surprises me about Berardi or his influence on our team - a true LUFC great!