Donny v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Donny v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote:Was Mowat playing right side of the midfield diamond?
No....left side linking up with Drury & Poleon who were both impressive too !

Mowatt has a sweet left foot like a magic wand....reminded me of Liam Brady
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote:

Fancy writing a brief match report?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote:
Fancy writing a brief match report?

I'm not that good Shieldsy :lol:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

1964white wrote:

I'm not that good Shieldsy :lol:
Neither am I and I do it all the time :wink:
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Great win :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Well what a treat for the 3700 Leeds fans this game, a mix of young & experienced players playing football the way the game should be played. Donny also played their part in what was a pulsating game from start to finish.
Without any doubt the the best & sustained football we've played so far this season.

We now have at least six youngsters who are capable of playing at championship level in Mowatt, Wootton, Murphy, Smith, Poleon & the imminent return of our star player from last season Sam Byram.

FIRST GOAL - Mowatt crosses....Smith heads on.....Wootton scores

The future is bright at Leeds United :-D

Kenny 7 - looks slimmer, sharper & more concentrated this season
Peltier 7 - defended well again, had a couple of woeful (laughable) efforts on goal in the 2nd half but made up for it with a superb cross for Smith to head home the decisive second goal
Pearce 8 - another rock solid performance from a very much improved Pearce under McDermott's supervision
Wootton 9 - tall, pacy & reads the game well, fantastic goal-line clearance in the first five minutes. He makes Lees look sluggish
Drury 8 - best game in the white shirt of Leeds for AD, defended well & linked up superbly with Mowatt & Poleon down the left-flank
Austin 7 - usual Rudi stuff, broke up the play, his passing was better too
Tonge 8 - controlled the midfield along with young Mowatt, composed & some neat passing from Tongey

Mowatt 9.5 - where did this gem appear from, probably one of the most impressive assured debuts i've witnessed in a long time. Young Alex plays at pace with accurate passing & movement in anticipation of a return ball....always wanted the ball....composure on the ball....crossed the ball well into decent area's from outfield & set-pieces....tenacious in a tackle....looks the complete midfielder Reminds me of Liam Brady with his sweet left-foot

McCormack 7 - drifted in & out of the game, showed some nice touches & some not so good. Good well taken penalty
Smith 8 - best game for Leeds from the big man. Assist on the first goal & a thumping header for the decisive 2nd goal, looking more comfortable & a real handful in the box, unlucky not to score as he controlled & swivelled on the ball to produce a neat save from the Donny keeper
Poleon 8 was at the heart at all our good forward play...goes past players with ease & won the penalty with his persistant runs into the box. Dom needs to learn to look up as he often chooses the wrong options, all the same he deserved a goal

Subs :

Murphy - neat as ever

Manager

McDermott 10 - thank you BM for restoring order back at Leeds & giving the fans something to cheer about at long last, the feelgood factor has definitely returned :-D

Referee - 5 gave every 50/50 to Donny picky little sod !

Billy Paynter - scores three goals in what was it a two to three period for Leeds....last night scores within in minutes of coming on as a sub :x
Last edited by 1964white on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for the report Leon, sounds great!
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote:Thanks for the report Leon, sounds great!
A pleasure :tup:

I'm still buzzing :lol:
Bakerjamessteven
First Team
First Team

Donny v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by Bakerjamessteven »

1964white wrote:Well what a treat for the 3700 Leeds fans this game, a mix of young & experienced players playing football the way the game should be played. Donny also played their part in what was a pulsating game from start to finish.
Without any doubt the the best & sustained football we've played so far this season.

We now have at least six youngsters who are capable of playing at championship level in Mowatt, Wootton, Murphy, Smith, Poleon & the imminent return of our star player from last season Sam Byram.

Peltier 7 - defended well again, had a couple of woeful (laughable) efforts on goal in the 2nd half but made up for it with a superb cross for Smith to head home the decisive second goal
Pearce 8 - another rock solid performance from a very much improved Pearce under McDermott's supervision
Wootton 9 - tall, pacy & reads the game well, fantastic goal-line clearance in the first five minutes. He makes Lees look sluggish
Drury 8 - best game in the white shirt of Leeds for AD, defended well & linked up superbly with Mowatt & Poleon down the left-flank
Tonge 8 - controlled the midfield along with young Mowatt, composed & some neat passing from Tongey

Mowatt 9.5 - where did this gem appear from, probably one of the most impressive assured debuts i've witnessed in a long time. Young Alex plays at pace with accurate passing & movement in anticipation of a return ball....always wanted the ball....composure on the ball....crossed the ball well into decent area's from outfield & set-pieces....tenacious in a tackle....looks the complete midfielder Reminds me of Liam Brady with his sweet left-foot

McCormack 7 - drifted in & out of the game, showed some nice touches & some not so good. Good well taken penalty
Smith 8 - best game for Leeds from the big man. Assist on the first goal & a thumping header for the decisive 2nd goal, looking more comfortable & a real handful in the box, unlucky not to score as he controlled & swivelled on the ball to produce a neat save from the Donny keeper
Poleon 8 was at the heart at all our good forward play...goes past players with ease & won the penalty with his persistant runs into the box. Dom needs to learn to look up as he often chooses the wrong options, all the same he deserved a goal

Subs :

Murphy - neat as ever

Manager

McDermott 10 - thank you BM for restoring order back at Leeds & giving the fans something to cheer about at long last, the feelgood factor has definitely returned :-D

Billy Paynter - scores three goals in what was it a two to three period for Leeds....last night scores within in minutes of coming on as a sub :x
From your post it sounds like we could be on for a bright future
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bakerjamessteven wrote: From your post it sounds like we could be on for a bright future
We are Bakerboy

McDermott is the key to the door....oh Brian McDermott oh Brian McDermott oh Brian Mcdermott :sing: :sing: :sing:
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Agree with all the above other than MOM which I gave to Wootton. Poleon frightened the life out of Doncasters defence with his pace and looked a bit more aggressive and wasn't pushed off the ball too easily either, if I could criticise him it was for been a little bit too greedy when he'd beaten defenders and a simple pull back was needed rather than trying to beat the keeper from an acute angle. The whole team seem "United" and this was shown when Smith scored and the celebrations, right in front of where I was stood were akin to a team which had just won the league title....Fantastic. :-D :-D :-D
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Well what a treat for the 3700 Leeds fans this game, a mix of young & experienced players playing football the way the game should be played. Donny also played their part in what was a pulsating game from start to finish.

Subs :

Murphy - neat as ever

Manager

The Mowatt debut that you mention Leon, reminds me of Stephen McPhail's .Thought he had the makings of the next Liam Brady.
Sounds like it was a great night.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

1964white wrote:
A pleasure :tup:

I'm still buzzing :lol:
What formation Leon, diamond again or three up top?
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote:

There were comparisons to a young Stephen McPhail last night on the various social network sites.

SM was indeed a great prospect at that age but unfortunately he's career didnt quote blossom to the level people thought he would reach. Let's hope Mowatt does AND as importantly, he does it with LUFC !!

EDIT - Just read Gessa's comments.....looks like quite a few are seeing a young McPhail in Mowatt. How is he pace wise Leon ? If there was one negative thing about SM it was that he was quite slow.
Last edited by Gurj on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:Agree with all the above other than MOM which I gave to Wootton. Poleon frightened the life out of Doncasters defence with his pace and looked a bit more aggressive and wasn't pushed off the ball too easily either, if I could criticise him it was for been a little bit too greedy when he'd beaten defenders and a simple pull back was needed rather than trying to beat the keeper from an acute angle. The whole team seem "United" and this was shown when Smith scored and the celebrations, right in front of where I was stood were akin to a team which had just won the league title....Fantastic. :-D :-D :-D
Good call with Wootton Rich......not a lot to choose between them as I rated 9.5 for Mowatt & 9 for Wootton. As you say SW made a more decisive contribution with his excellent goal line clearance & his goal of course. For me I expected Wootton to be technically gifted & play well given his pedigree at Man U.....what I didn't expect is a kid to come out of our academy & run the show in midfield on his debut, that is why I just side with young Alex....a star in the making hopefully !
You also agree with me on Poleon I see :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote:
What formation Leon, diamond again or three up top?
A bit of both, was on the right side in the main
Last edited by 1964white on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Heady early days at Leeds. Can't remember the last time that happened, maybe the when we made up our -15 points, but that was a whole different situation?
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It's just so great to see and feel the enthusiasm and togetherness.
64, excellent report and you make a great cheerleader for our manager and squad.
Fan-bloody-tastic. I wish to heck I could get to games, more than ever this season.

MOT
USA LEE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by USA LEE »

I heard - Donny web site - were impressed by Leeds young guns
Chester
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chester »

It was a brilliant performance by Leeds last night.
Obviously the 2 new debutants had terrific games but I thought McCormack was outstanding too. He's become so confident on the ball and with his strength he very rarely loses it.
So many positives came from last night. It was as good an all round Leeds performance I've seen in a long time. :-D