Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread - No spoilers for latecomers please.

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:46 pm Awful from the keeper, embarrassing.
No mate, Meslier was anticipating the cross which takes a cruel deflection which normally would end up as a corner, pure bad luck!
1964white

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread - No spoilers for latecomers please.

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:58 pm In fairness, this is practically our Championship side. As we are starting to see, the majority are really not up to the standard required for this league. A few injuries and we are down to our bare bones, and bringing on the likes of Roberts wtf. A bench like we had today, is clearly not good enough for this level. We lack a contingency plan to our game, we are going to have to learn quickly.
I said before the game our line-up was a championship team with precious little on the bench.

We are looking weak & vulnerable without Phillips, Rodrigo, Hernandez & possibly our £20m CB Llorente
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Premier League opponents have sussed out how to beat us.
We need to stop conceding goals, or we could be like Norwich last season. Started brightly, attacking every team they played. Then it turned into a long, hard season.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:28 pm No mate, Meslier was anticipating the cross which takes a cruel deflection which normally would end up as a corner, pure bad luck!
I still think he should have stopped it. It was a tight angle at the near post. Right when the cross happens, he looks to his left to see who's in the box. So the deflection takes him by surprise. But I still think, even given the surprise, it was a slow reaction and he should have stopped it.

I've been impressed with Meslier this year and think he will only get better. There have been about 5 goals this season where you think he could have done better without having any real howlers. I'm happy to stick with him and see him grow,
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:34 pm I said before the game our line-up was a championship team with precious little on the bench.

We are looking weak & vulnerable without Phillips, Rodrigo, Hernandez & possibly our £20m CB Llorente
Absoultely true. Koch was the only new signing that started today and he was just a swap for Ben White. So, we didn't have any of our upgrades available today, plus no Phillips. Forshaw, Hernandez, or Shackleton. That line up might have struggled in the championship last year too
Kourdos
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Kourdos »

Their first goal seemed not right, that guy Dann, uses our defender's shoulders to lift himself higher..
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kourdos wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:41 pm Their first goal seemed not right, that guy Dann, uses our defender's shoulders to lift himself higher..
I wasn't going to harp about that. But if it was us that scored, you know that VAR would have overuled it. Some were talking about a foul on Meslier too but I wasn't paying attention to the keeper before it happened so I'm not sure.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:05 pm Cooper, Roberts, Costa, Harrison, Alioski out.
Llorente, Gelhardt, Rodrigo, Raphinha, Pablo in.
We've conceded 8 goals since Cooper joined Koch in the heart of our defence, they don't look a good combination, sadly Liam is out of his depth at this level, Just hope Llorente is the answer!

Costa is up & down like a yo-yo

Can Harrison consistently cross a ball? the answer is no, Jack is a championship winger.

The less I say about Roberts the better, totally out of his depth.

Thought Alioski was decent today even though I've been his biggest critic in the past

I've always insisted when we take Dallas out of our back four we are worse. I don't like Stuart playing in a central midfield role, he's not clever enough to show his best in that position
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm We've conceded 8 goals since Cooper joined Koch in the heart of our defence, they don't look a good combination, sadly Liam is out of his depth at this level, Just hope Llorente is the answer!
Have to agree. But Cooper is still an important member of the squad, both on and off the field. I do see Llorente (or Strujik) replacing him eventually)
1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm Costa is up & down like a yo-yo

Can Harrison consistently cross a ball? the answer is no, Jack is a championship winger.
Both hot and cold. Costa was cold today. Thought Harrison had a decent game. Raphinha will replace one of them when we have enough players fit again. Poveda may be longer-term, but I don't think he's ready yet
1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm The less I say about Roberts the better, totally out of his depth.
I really never see what Roberts adds to this team. He's playing because we lack options. If we'd got someone like De Paul, I think he would have left on loan. I think he really needs a loan to the championship, hopefully somewhere he can play every week
[/quote]
1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm Thought Alioski was decent today even though I've been his biggest critic in the past
Alioski was great today and against Villa. Seems like a useful guy to have around, especially his energy off the bench.
1964white wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm I've always insisted when we take Dallas out of our back four we are worse. I don't like Stuart playing in a central midfield role, he's not clever enough to show his best in that position
100%. He did play a similar role at Sheff United on the left side and looked real class. But as a whole, in midfield, he's not the answer, while he's one of the best full backs in the league. I think he just played in midfield today (or as an inverted wing back) because we lacked back up options
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:12 pm Someone said we need to be more creative earlier we need to defend first and foremost then get creative.
Indeed MJ

How many times have I rattled on about clean sheet achieve results & breeds success?

Problem I'm unsure if Bielsa knows how to play in a more defensive manner :duno:

We are so gung-ho, the opposition either break with speed or lump the ball forward & our pedestrian defenders are killed by pace. We have been found out!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:27 pm :tup:

All the early talk of champions league and European football was a little daft in my opinion, we are on a big learning curve and this season is all about surviving and getting the players accustomed to the PL,gaining the experience required, whilst gradually adding better players, then we can start thinking of better fortunes. Palace had their fair share of luck today but they had far more composure than us to, like I said before we're too gung ho, we must be great to watch for neutrals.
Great to watch for the neutrals mate

I felt sick at the end of that game
SE London Eagle
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by SE London Eagle »

Palace fan here.....
I wanted Belisa at Palace 5yrs ago, he will get it right, trust me, yeah I agree you have been a bit sussed out, love the style that you play with...but...you get found out pretty quickly in the PL, I agree with MB with sticking with the team that got you promotion, they served you well and they need the chance to prove their worth, it's what we done when we 1st went up, you then notice who can cut it and who cant, at least 5 worse teams than you and you will be ok this season, just don't get your hopes up, staying up is the main priority even if it means finishing 17th and building from there, you arte a 100mph team, you are going to get caught out by pushing too many players forwards, you not faced Zaha & Eze before (Maybe Zaha when he was 21) their 1st touch is different class your defenders need to learn to stay 1/2yd off them, too tight they get a free kick or they are past you, flattering result but I will take it as this game I didnt know how we would combat your 100mph onslaught, I think you need more than Bamford up front! he was pants for us but that was 5 yrs ago, but he needs help IMO. as a Palace fan that is the 1st time Roy has gone with that sort of lineup this season, only reason is he feared your style of play, a testament to you, and a wake up call for him as he is the most negative manager we have ever had, 4-1 was flattering to us, we were just too good on the counter attack for you, you WONT go down but just hit the 36-40 points mark as we say another 6 wins.....Good luck
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:34 pm When was the last time we got to KO without having to cope with a last minute change to the lineup? I almost wept when I saw that bench.

If Hernandez was omitted due to discipline then both he and Bielsa take some of the responsibity for today. Sending us out to play so openly without our DM screen and our two most creative players was insane. Especially after Monday.

Also these Internationals.

Only NI and Scotland play qualifiers next week the rest are friendlies, the following two fixtures are this Nations League which everyone will qualify from any how ( or so it looks)

Leeds should think long and hard about the Internationals being released. ( And the players too should remember who pays the wages)

Leeds need time to put this right. Bielsa said that he might need to adapt our approach depending on results.
I say use this two weeks to do exactly that.

At Thorp Arch.
Totally agree Ian, international break has come at the right time
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Thought we played some good stuff today. The timing of goals has a big influence on games as we all know as witnessed today alters momentum.
Good teams do the basics well defend.
How many times do we get caught trying to play in the wrong areas. Monday koch's back pass ,put it in the stand and it's still 0 v 0 . Play when possible defend at all times ,you can still be attractive to watch.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

SE London Eagle wrote:Palace fan here.....
I wanted Belisa at Palace 5yrs ago, he will get it right, trust me, yeah I agree you have been a bit sussed out, love the style that you play with...but...you get found out pretty quickly in the PL, I agree with MB with sticking with the team that got you promotion, they served you well and they need the chance to prove their worth, it's what we done when we 1st went up, you then notice who can cut it and who cant, at least 5 worse teams than you and you will be ok this season, just don't get your hopes up, staying up is the main priority even if it means finishing 17th and building from there, you arte a 100mph team, you are going to get caught out by pushing too many players forwards, you not faced Zaha & Eze before (Maybe Zaha when he was 21) their 1st touch is different class your defenders need to learn to stay 1/2yd off them, too tight they get a free kick or they are past you, flattering result but I will take it as this game I didnt know how we would combat your 100mph onslaught, I think you need more than Bamford up front! he was pants for us but that was 5 yrs ago, but he needs help IMO. as a Palace fan that is the 1st time Roy has gone with that sort of lineup this season, only reason is he feared your style of play, a testament to you, and a wake up call for him as he is the most negative manager we have ever had, 4-1 was flattering to us, we were just too good on the counter attack for you, you WONT go down but just hit the 36-40 points mark as we say another 6 wins.....Good luck
Nice post SE, thanks and couldn't agree more. Basically we have to stop playing into the hands of the opponents. Maybe we'll give you a better game up at ER... hopefully lessons have been learnt by then Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:20 pm Apparently Bielsa has stated that Pablo was fit and available for selection, but he chose not to select him for the squad.

This is poor judgement by Bielsa.

We're on a slippery slope if this is his way of punishing Pablo.
Marcelo cut off his nose to spite his face :chair:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:08 pm Have to agree. But Cooper is still an important member of the squad, both on and off the field. I do see Llorente (or Strujik) replacing him eventually)

Both hot and cold. Costa was cold today. Thought Harrison had a decent game. Raphinha will replace one of them when we have enough players fit again. Poveda may be longer-term, but I don't think he's ready yet

I really never see what Roberts adds to this team. He's playing because we lack options. If we'd got someone like De Paul, I think he would have left on loan. I think he really needs a loan to the championship, hopefully somewhere he can play every week

Alioski was great today and against Villa. Seems like a useful guy to have around, especially his energy off the bench.

100%. He did play a similar role at Sheff United on the left side and looked real class. But as a whole, in midfield, he's not the answer, while he's one of the best full backs in the league. I think he just played in midfield today (or as an inverted wing back) because we lacked back up options
We agree in the main Andrew :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SE London Eagle wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:14 pm Palace fan here.....
Welcome to MOT Eagle

Thank you for your valid views

Good luck for the rest of the season :tup:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

SE London Eagle wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:14 pm Palace fan here.....
We faced Eze quite a bit at QPR mate. He was outstanding at Elland rd a couple of seasons ago. Some fans me included wanted to sign him up. I think he is a Southern boy tho. Everything you touched today turned out well. Great header from your captain puts it in the corner (how often does that happen) Eze hits a worldy freekick. The own goal must be a 1/100,000 chance of going in from that angle and for the 4th our keeper gets a hand to it and it goes in off the post.

I bet you wish you could play us every week. :tup:
SE London Eagle
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by SE London Eagle »

Scott Dann pretty good at doing that tbh, yeah we had the rub of the green, you get those days and you have to embrace them, the game was not a 4-1 game, but that's the PL for you, you will beat teams by a margin you shouldn't, as long as it evens out, we had a VAR rule change which means we would have 2 more points for a handball that never was, we had to suck it up, don't be disheartened, stay up and keep building, slowly but surely is the way, that's what we done and 7yrs on were doing ok, not the most exciting team to watch but on our day we can compete with them all