Birmingham City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Sinisterra and Gnonto Missing from Squad

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Birmingham City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Sinisterra and Gnonto Missing from Squad

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 12th August at 3:00pm| Elland Road

Leeds Utd make the two and a half hour trip down to St Andrews to play Birmingham City on Saturday afternoon, knowing that three valuable points will get them back on track, after the disappointment of the draw against Cardiff last weekend.

The two sides last met Christmas 2019, when Marcelo Bielsa's Whites edged a nine goal thriller (at St Andrews), courtesy of a 95th minute Wes Harding own goal. That season, Leeds completed the double over their West Midland rivals, helping them top the Championship, ten points clear of West Brom in second place.

The departure gate at Leeds Bradford Airport shows little prospect of slowing down, with Tyler Adams being the latest in a long list of players to pledge his allegiance away from Elland Road. The knock on effect this may have with the remaining players is not worth thinking about; needless to say confidence will be wavering. Wilfred Gnonto's refusal to play midweek shows a complete lack of respect, and a lack of unity at the club. He hasn’t travels with the squad.

Georginio Rutter and Cody Drameh have recovered from knocks, and are likely to feature, even if they don't start. Sam Greenwood is back in training, but having missed most of pre-season with a foot injury, is weeks ago from match fitness.

Crysencio Summerville picked up a knocked last weekend, and is likely to miss the visit to Birmingham. Leeds will also be without the services of Stuart Dallas, Liam Cooper, Junior Firpo, Patrick Bamford and Mateo Joseph. Luiz Sinisterra was carrying a knock and doesn’t travel amidst rumours he is refusing to play. Daniel Farke has the luxury of choosing between Illan Meslier and Karl Darlow between the sticks.

Juninho Bacuna may have earned himself a place in the starting line up, after an impressive performance midweek for the Blues. The midfielder scored a brace against Cheltenham, helping his side reach the second round of the Caribou Cup.

Veteran keeper John Ruddy is likely to displace from Neil Etheridge between the sticks while Scott Hogan should return to lead the line with support of former Leeds striker Tyler Roberts.

New season VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 62% off + 3 months free...

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Birmingham City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

I'm hearing Tyler Roberts has picked-up an injury.

I hope this information is true, as you can guarantee he'll score on Saturday. :(
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Some interesting options on Saturday.

Good to have Rutter back. Will he be ready to start? May have to if Gnonto is tonto-ing his way out.

Drameh available. But my guess is he'll stick with Ayling. Especially as captain with Cooper out. On Ayling, it does look a really complicated position at times. Must take some acclimatizing to the role. And for that reason it may be difficult for Drameh to get into the starting line up any time soon.

Greenwood may be a bench option - depends on options. But given current form, a better bench option than Gyabi.

Will also be interesting to see the status of a few others. Summerville wasn't on the bench last night. Must have been having a going away dinner with Gnonto.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Wonder how we'll line up for this one. Just been watching the Shrewsbury game. You could call it a 4-2-3-1. But it looked more like a very assymetric 4-3-3.

Initially it looked like Gyabi and Shackleton as holding midfielders and Gray as the AMC. But it was more complex than that.

It looked more like 3 across the midfield. Gyabi (later Ampadu) in the middle. And Shackleton and Gray on either side. Shackleton's role was more holding and covered right back with Ayling getting forward a lot more. Gray's position was more advanced, with Hjelde playing as a more disciplined full back.

So. I'm wondering if with injuries and players like Gnonto leaving, if we'll go with something like the same set up. Shackleton-Amapadu-Gray in midfield.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Hope the ref is a strong chap, birmingham will be ready to boot our kids to bits.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

The Zulus will be up for it, but Leeds will hold their own.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:41 pm Wonder how we'll line up for this one. Just been watching the Shrewsbury game. You could call it a 4-2-3-1. But it looked more like a very assymetric 4-3-3.

Initially it looked like Gyabi and Shackleton as holding midfielders and Gray as the AMC. But it was more complex than that.

It looked more like 3 across the midfield. Gyabi (later Ampadu) in the middle. And Shackleton and Gray on either side. Shackleton's role was more holding and covered right back with Ayling getting forward a lot more. Gray's position was more advanced, with Hjelde playing as a more disciplined full back.

So. I'm wondering if with injuries and players like Gnonto leaving, if we'll go with something like the same set up. Shackleton-Amapadu-Gray in midfield.
I said to the fella next to me at the game, who knows his stuff, what the hell is going on with this formation. He explained it to me live, whilst it’s literally happening in front of my very eyes and I couldn’t work it out.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:05 pm

Birmingham City v Leeds Utd
Saturday 12th August at 15:00hrs | Elland Road

Leeds Utd make the two and a half hour trip down to St Andrews to play Birmingham City on Saturday afternoon, knowing that three valuable points will get them back on track, after the disappointment of the draw against Cardiff last weekend.

The two sides last met Christmas 2019, when Marcelo Bielsa's Whites edged a nine goal thriller (at St Andrews), courtesy of a 95th minute Wes Harding own goal. That season, Leeds completed the double over their West Midland rivals, helping them top the Championship, ten points clear of West Brom in second place.

The departure gate at Leeds Bradford Airport shows little prospect of slowing down, with Tyler Adams being the latest in a long list of players to pledge his allegiance away from Elland Road. The knock on effect this may have with the remaining players is not worth thinking about; needless to say confidence will be wavering. Wilfred Gnonto's refusal to play midweek shows a complete lack of respect, and a lack of unity at the club. Will he play on Saturday? Nobody knows, not even the gaffer!!!

Georginio Rutter and Cody Drameh have recovered from knocks, and are likely to feature, even if they don't start. Sam Greenwood is back in training, but having missed most of pre-season with a foot injury, is weeks ago from match fitness.

Crysencio Summerville picked up a knocked last weekend, and is likely to miss the visit to Birmingham. Leeds will also be without the services of Stuart Dallas, Liam Cooper, Junior Firpo, Patrick Bamford and Mateo Joseph. Luiz Sinisterra is carrying a knock, but should play. Daniel Farke has the luxury of choosing between Illan Meslier and Karl Darlow between the sticks.

Juninho Bacuna may have earned himself a place in the starting line up, after an impressive performance midweek for the Blues. The midfielder scored a brace against Cheltenham, helping his side reach the second round of the Caribou Cup.

Veteran keeper John Ruddy is likely to displace from Neil Etheridge between the sticks while Scott Hogan should return to lead the line with support of former Leeds striker Tyler Roberts.
No it doesn't
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:09 pm I'm hearing Tyler Roberts has picked-up an injury.

I hope this information is true, as you can guarantee he'll score on Saturday. :(

Picked up? Isn't his career just one long continuous injury?
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:31 pm I said to the fella next to me at the game, who knows his stuff, what the hell is going on with this formation. He explained it to me live, whilst it’s literally happening in front of my very eyes and I couldn’t work it out.
2nd half was more confusing

James stuck on the left and Poveda moved to the 10.

On the left Byram was an advanced LB as Shrewsbury didn't really make him defend

But the right? Gray sat on the right side of midfield. Ayling sat back more than he did in the 1st half. And Shackleton was an advanced MR.

I was going to add that to the notes. But it was too much.

I think my simple point was wondering if he'd go for three midfielders again (Ampadu, Gray, Shackleton) or 2 mids and a 10? As to their roles (???)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Is there a chance we might get a stream for this one?

If it's not televised in the States, there's probably no TV coverage anywhere, right?
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Rumours about Sinni, refusing to play?
There Is Only One United.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

billysboots wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:33 am Rumours about Sinni, refusing to play?
Don’t know, haven’t heard, but anyone who refuses for me sits out and forfeits pay.

It isn’t like real workers striking for better pay and conditions, it’s about fussy prima donnas whinging.

Stress I don’t know about Sinni, my comments are general.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

billysboots wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:33 am Rumours about Sinni, refusing to play?
Why?
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Just heard a rumor. He’s injury prone, maybe wants to stay fit for a move.
There Is Only One United.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Whilst I’m still managing to maintain some form of optimism about the rest of the season ahead things seem too unsettled at the moment I’d therefore be very surprised with a win today
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Leeds need a win to get this season fully on track and to inject some much needed optimism. A defeat today and the mood could quickly nosedive.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

wow if true about sini, it will be summeville next you just coudn't write this s**t whats happening at leeds.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

billysboots wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:59 am Just heard a rumor. He’s injury prone, maybe wants to stay fit for a move.
On the face of it, suggesting a player doesn’t want to play in case he gets injured is just dumb. But in todays football makes complete sense. What a world we live in.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Meslier gnonto Summerville Adams sinisterra and probably Harrison will all be gone within next twelve months it's as plain as day already