The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 28th September) Bielsa mulling over Brazilian offer

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 28th September) Bielsa mulling over Brazilian offer

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 28th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa mulling over Brazilian offer

Argentinian news outlet Le Nacion are claiming that Marcelo Bielsa is mulling over an offer to take the reins at Brazilian Série A side, Santos. The 67yo has been biding his time for the right opportunity since departing Elland Road at the end of February, but has yet to be convinced that a move to the Urbano Caldeira Stadium is right for him. Santos have already fired three coaches this year, and are in a relatively poor financial state, however President Andres Rueda has assured Bielsa full control of recruitment, facilities and youth team affairs.

Perkins continuous fabulous run

Sonny Perkins and Darko Gyabi were also in action for England's Under-19's yesterday, as the young Lions ran out 4-2 victors over Denmark. Perkins opened the scoring, and added an assist for the third goal, whilst Gyabi (who skippered the side) made the game safe with a late goal in stoppage time.

Not only has Perkins netted six times in five games for Leeds (U21's), but he scored a hat-trick on Saturday against Georgia, and another against Montenegro last week. Whilst the former West Ham academy player is three months younger than Wilfred Gnonto, it will be interesting to see who breaks into Jesse Marsch's starting XI first!

Leeds face competition for Aberdeen youngster

North of the border, the Daily Record are reporting that Leeds face competition from Fulham and Brighton to sign Aberdeen youngster Lewis Pirie. All three had scouts present at Scotland U16's midweek clash with Denmark where he won, and scored a penalty. The 15 year old forward also netted for Aberdeen's first XI against Hibs last week, and is quickly gaining quite the reputation.

Delph hangs up his boots

Former Leeds and England midfielder Fabian Delph has decided to hang up his boots. The 32yo started his footballing career at Thorp Arch in 2001 (aged 12), after Paul Jewell recommended him to then coach Greg Abbott. He made his first team debut on the last day of the 2006/07 season against Derby, but didn't become a first team regular for two years. He went on to make 44 appearances for the Whites (scoring 6 goals) before being poached by Aston Villa for a fee worth £8m.

He went on to play for Manchester City before signing for the Toffee's in the Summer of 2019 for £8.5m, but injuries restricted him to just 35 total appearances. All in all, Delph only made 253 appearances during his short career, as well as 20 senior caps for England.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 28th September) Bielsa mulling over Brazilian offer

Post by Irish Ian »

Think he has already rejected the offer.

Oh! Sonny!Sonny! Sonny Sonny Sonny Sonny Per-er-kins!

That'll have them quaking Kenny.😉

Delph by name and delph by reputation.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 28th September) Bielsa mulling over Brazilian offer

Post by The Subhuman »

A Delph I
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:25 am Think he has already rejected the offer.

Oh! Sonny!Sonny! Sonny Sonny Sonny Sonny Per-er-kins!

That'll have them quaking Kenny.😉

Delph by name and delph by reputation.
Ah ok. Got it. Breaks easily like crockery
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Delft?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:04 pmDelft?
Always had a chip on his shoulder.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Mr Bielsa's future managerial appointments are of interest I suppose, but not of any great concern unless he ends up managing in the Premier League again - purely from a selfish perspective I would only want him to be/have been associated with one English club.

I just hope that we can keep all three young lads, Gelhardt, Perkins and now Gnonto happy (not to mention Greenwood) as, in reality, they will be fighting it out amongst themselves, for any chance of 1st team striker selection but still behind both Bamford and Rodrigo. Strength in depth is fine on the face of it but, I suspect, it will not be possible to ensure all four get enough regular 1st team action to keep them all satisfied. We shall see!

I cant help but feel that Fab Delph never really fulfilled his proper potential. I seem to remember that he was head and shoulders above anyone of his contemporaries at Junior and under 21 levels (and I'm not just talking about at Leeds) and was predicted to go on to have a stellar career. Somehow, even though he made 20 England appearances, it never quite turned out that way probably due to being particularly injury prone. I wish him well for the future.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:45 pm I just hope that we can keep all three young lads, Gelhardt, Perkins and now Gnonto happy (not to mention Greenwood) as, in reality, they will be fighting it out amongst themselves, for any chance of 1st team striker selection but still behind both Bamford and Rodrigo. Strength in depth is fine on the face of it but, I suspect, it will not be possible to ensure all four get enough regular 1st team action to keep them all satisfied. We shall see!
Likely that Rodrigo would move on in the summer as I think he'd only have a year left on his contract then - as such at that point hopefully at least one of those mentioned will be showing that they are ready to take his place.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Anyway, back to the o/t.

I don't wanna see Bert at Santos.

Get him back in the English game please, and it doesn't matter where, just get him there.

Some club please just have the nouse to pay him 8m and see what he can do for you.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

weasel wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:58 pm Likely that Rodrigo would move on in the summer as I think he'd only have a year left on his contract then - as such at that point hopefully at least one of those mentioned will be showing that they are ready to take his place.
Yes I think you're probably right weasel. By then though, Joseph and Dean might also be in the mix.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Not another young striker. I think we have enough.

Perkins confidence must be sky high so get him on the bench for a few minutes game time.

Delph looked like he was going to be a world beater when he first came on the scene. Goes to show brilliant at 2nd Division level doesn’t always transfer to higher leagues. Shows the importance of good coaching I suppose.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Not sure Marcelo should have a Brazilian. Short back & sides be better for him
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

I think I saw he has turned this offer down .Santos is where Pele played club football , it really shows how lucky Leeds were to get Bielsa if he turns down jobs like this .Forget his last season , remember the 3 great ones , the lovely football played .Shame it ended like it did for both Leeds , the fans and Bielsa , you can't forget ever where he got us to from those doldrum years .