Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Cooper returns to starting XI

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Cooper returns to starting XI

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:52 pm Good to see Marsch highlighting Villa’s pathetic time-wasting in his interview.
Feel he was off the mark a little on that and has other issues to focus on.

There was one incident in the first half that Attwell gave a warning for. But didn't see much to complain about other than that. At least not beyond what's normal.

Jesse can highlight some of the challenges Villa got away with. But other than that, he really needs to start focussing on our team and how we deal with the oppositions tactics.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:58 pm Klich is too slow for this level, you saw him jogging back regularly as they broke with pace. The problem is we have no direct replacement for Aaronson, we miss his energy and zip.
Klich isn't totally slow. But yeah, he's not the quickest either. It works as a sub when he's coming on against tired opposition. Plus, where he plays, he doesn't need to be the quickest. I think he'll still do a decent job for us this season - maybe at some point Greenwood, Perkins, or Gyabi will make a case.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:08 pm So Willy or Jimmy next week? Willy for me, Summerville hasn't looked up to this level yet.
Willy. He's got much more experience. I think he's ahead of Jimmy in his development. Probably only held back because he's still new and hasn't had much time on our training ground. I think he'll be first off the bench in future.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:48 pm So you're saying we'd beat anyone in the Championship?
It was tongue in cheek but yes.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:45 pm Based on current players, I think we'll be better with Fripo at left back. Jury still out on him. But would be nice to see round pegs in round holes.
Reluctantly agree, which says more about how neglected our left back area is than faith in Firpo.

Struijk is simply to slow.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 pm Reluctantly agree, which says more about how neglected our left back area is than faith in Firpo.

Struijk is simply to slow.
Ditto. Strujik has done well. And his foot work is great. But he just has the wrong physique to play out wide.

They've thrown their money behind Fripo for the season. But, please, can we sign a top prospect as back up - we have Drameh as our 3rd RB. Is it too much to ask for a 2nd LB of that potential.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:05 pm Ditto. Strujik has done well. And his foot work is great. But he just has the wrong physique to play out wide.

They've thrown their money behind Fripo for the season. But, please, can we sign a top prospect as back up - we have Drameh as our 3rd RB. Is it too much to ask for a 2nd LB of that potential.
Struijk has done as well as can be expected.

You can always tell especially when he goes forward that he isn't comfortable though.

And when we lose the ball in transition (as happens often because of the style) then you really see he is struggling to get back.

As you say, they threw money at Firpo and wont/can't admit they were wrong.

Fine.

But again as you say, we have 3 options at right back.

But at left back I think I am right in saying aside from Firpo and Hjelde (and nobody seems sure if he is a full back or cb) we have nobody and that includes the youth teams.

It's a really weird situation we have allowed to occur.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:05 pm Ditto. Strujik has done well. And his foot work is great. But he just has the wrong physique to play out wide.

Drameh will be gone, either in January or the summer.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:13 pm
But at left back I think I am right in saying aside from Firpo and Hjelde (and nobody seems sure if he is a full back or cb) we have nobody and that includes the youth teams.

It's a really weird situation we have allowed to occur.
Thats correct.

They don't have a natural LB in the 21's. We play a converted winger there. Alfie McCalmont played LB 2 weeks ago.

It's been going on for a while. 2 seasons. Before that Niall Huggins was our LB, another converted (right) winger. We've shown we're willing to spend 5 million on a 21's player. Surely a fraction of that would buy us a top LB prospect.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:14 pm Drameh will be gone, either in January or the summer.
Probably. But not through lack of ability. It's a paradox. With Ayling injured for the first couple of months, we rushed into a replacement for him. If Ayling hadn't been injured, we probably would have stuck with Ayling and Drameh as our two RB options.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:26 pm Probably. But not through lack of ability. It's a paradox. With Ayling injured for the first couple of months, we rushed into a replacement for him. If Ayling hadn't been injured, we probably would have stuck with Ayling and Drameh as our two RB options.
We needed a RB because Ayling isn't good enough. It's a shame we will lose Drameh instead. I'd rather let Ayling go, but I suspect he'll be given a new contract out of sentiment.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

velo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:26 pmMcGinns a twat
A first class twat.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:26 pm Need another month off after that!
Indeed Adam, wasn't worth the month's wait.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 pm I imagine Paddy will be starting after that. It’s obvious he brings a lot more than goals. Nothing against Rodders
Paddy didn't start as he picked up a slight knock in training.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:33 pm Harrison frustrated me again - he gives the ball away far too cheaply and too often.
Agree DDB :tup:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:40 pm A first class twat.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:38 pm Same here although that cross field ball near the corner flag after their free kick was a little rash 😳
Good interception from Firpo, then a crazy pass to the Villa midfielders to put us under pressure again.

To be fair, the majority of our team was conceding possession cheaply all afternoon.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:49 pm Anyone tuning into motd2 for the highlights. If the show is on for an hour skip the first 55mins.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:38 pm We needed a RB because Ayling isn't good enough. It's a shame we will lose Drameh instead. I'd rather let Ayling go, but I suspect he'll be given a new contract out of sentiment.
All those on here clamouring for Ayling to start ahead of Kristensen.

Well Luke was labouring & didn't look match-fit today, he's not the quickest, but he appeared a yard short of pace, consequently got outdone a few times.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:18 pm All those on here clamouring for Ayling to start ahead of Kristensen.

Well Luke was labouring & didn't look match-fit today, he's not the quickest, but he appeared a yard short of pace, consequently got outdone a few times.
He was caught out 3 times in the short time he was on the pitch. There's a reason we spent £10m on a RB, although Rasmus has yet to live up to that tag.