Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Bamford starts for Leeds

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Post Reply
Crystal Palace v Leeds United
Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace
2–1
Premier League
09/10/2022
Selhurst Park
Leeds United
Leeds United
All-time record vs Crystal Palace
71
Played
32
Won
19
Drawn
20
Lost
+31
GD
45%
Win %
Away record
34
Played
7
Won
14
Drawn
13
Lost
-10
GD
21%
Win %
DateGroundScoreCompetition
25/04/2022 Selhurst Park 0–0 D Premier League ↗
30/11/2021 Elland Road 1–0 W Premier League ↗
08/02/2021 Elland Road 2–0 W Premier League ↗
07/11/2020 Selhurst Park 4–1 L Premier League ↗
09/03/2013 Selhurst Park 2–2 D Championship ↗
All-time top scorers vs Crystal Palace
#PlayerGoals
1 Luciano Becchio 5
2 Peter Lorimer 5
3 John Sheridan 4
4 Patrick Bamford 3
5 Johnny Giles 3
Starting XI
Goa Meslier
Def Koch
Def Cooper ©
Def Struijk
Mid Adams
Mid Roca
Mid Aaronson
For Moreno
Mid Harrison
For Bamford
Substitutes
SUB Ayling
SUB Gelhardt
SUB Klich
Unused Substitutes
-- Klaesson
-- Llorente
-- Gyabi
-- Gnonto
-- Greenwood
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11899
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Match Thread Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Bamford starts for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »



Sunday 9th October 2:00pm | Selhurst Park


Leeds welcome back Patrick Bamford to the fold this weekend, making his first start since August as Jesse Marsch's side go in search of their first away win of the season. They face an out-of-sorts Crystal Palace team, whose only win this season, came almost seven weeks ago against Aston Villa. Bamford, 29, took a knock in training during the international break and dropped to the bench last weekend against Villa. He came on for the last 25 minutes unscathed. Leeds have not looked like scoring lately, and Marsch will be desperate for his leading marksman to get on the scoresheet.

Cody Drameh (knock), Leo Hjelde (virus), Archie Grey (toe), Adam Forshaw (ankle) and Stuart Dallas (leg) are out, though all are fringe players, and would not have expected to start. Jesse Marsch will return to the dugout, after serving a one-match bad for being sent off at Brentford last month. He will be forced into one change from the team that drew 0-0 with Aston Villa. Luis Sinisterra will miss the trip to Selhurst Park after receiving his marching order last weekend with Brenden Aaronson expected to start out wide with Rodrigo in the attacking midfield role. Jesse Marsch may take the opportunity to give either Wilfred Gnonto or Crysencio Summerville a run out later on in the game, both having impressed for the U21s. Joe Gelhardt is expected to return to the bench, after scoring a brace midweek against Tranmere.





Shot stopper Jack Butland has not recovered from his broken hand, so Vicente Guaita will continue to deputise for the hosts. He will be joined on the sidelines by Nathaniel Clyne (ankle), James McArthur (groin) and Nathan Ferguson (ankle). Joachim Andersen passes a late fitness test and will start. The Premier League have announced that Paul Tierney will officiate Sunday's game. Palace have not lost a game when the Lancashire based referee has been in charge, since 2017. To give Tierney his dues, he oversaw Leeds 2-1 win against Brentford on the last day of the season, to help secure Premier League survival for the Whites.



Be more secure streaming games this season! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Irish Ian »

Leeds havent looked like scoring lately...

One game in 5 weeks
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11899
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:28 pm Leeds havent looked like scoring lately...

One game in 5 weeks
Over the last 2 or 3 games, we haven't been unlocking defences like we should.

Are the new recruits as good as we think?
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm Over the last 2 or 3 games, we haven't been unlocking defences like we should.

Are the new recruits as good as we think?
Yes (and I ignore the two children they are), none of them are out of their depth at this level.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
Ellandback1
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11899
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm
Twitter: @EllandBack1
Location: The truth is out there

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:28 pm Leeds havent looked like scoring lately...

One game in 5 weeks
Its worrying, that we are not creating as many chances as we should imo
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pm Its worrying, that we are not creating as many chances as we should imo
I'd like to see a bit more creativity but let's see how we go now we have a month of games ahead of us with essentially a fill squad.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Leeds1000 »

Must remain positive. "always look on the bright side of life" we are going to win 3-0. My late Mothers crystal fruit bowl told me so.
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

With everyone healthy, but Sinesterra suspended, I expect our lineup to look like this:

.................................Bamford................................

Harrison..................Rodrigo..................Aaronson

.................Roca...........................Adams.................

Firpo...............Struijk..........Koch...........Kristensen

....................................Meslier..................................

I think this is our best starting group of attacking players. Each player in his natural preferred best position. The BIG key is to have Harrison in his preferred spot on the left. He has been ineffective in any other spot. Aaronson is more versatile, but more effective out on the right than in the middle where he get's physically brutalized. Rodrigo is better suited to be the CAM in this set up. And Bamford is clearly our best Striker. This group produced 4 goals in our first two games.

I have inserted Firpo into the starting eleven and moved Struijk inside. I'm not sure Jesse will do that. He may stick with the same back four that got us a clean sheet last week. But my gut tells me that JM still see's Firpo as the starter when healthy.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79102
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:54 pm Its worrying, that we are not creating as many chances as we should imo
That’s down to the manager
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:59 pm With everyone healthy, but Sinesterra suspended, I expect our lineup to look like this:

.................................Bamford................................

Harrison..................Rodrigo..................Aaronson

.................Roca...........................Adams.................

Firpo...............Struijk..........Koch...........Kristensen

....................................Meslier..................................

I think this is our best starting group of attacking players. Each player in his natural preferred best position. The BIG key is to have Harrison in his preferred spot on the left. He has been ineffective in any other spot. Aaronson is more versatile, but more effective out on the right than in the middle where he get's physically brutalized. Rodrigo is better suited to be the CAM in this set up. And Bamford is clearly our best Striker. This group produced 4 goals in our first two games.

I have inserted Firpo into the starting eleven and moved Struijk inside. I'm not sure Jesse will do that. He may stick with the same back four that got us a clean sheet last week. But my gut tells me that JM still see's Firpo as the starter when healthy.
Probably spot on bar Cooper. You have to feel a little sorry for Pascal in this scenario, he’s been solid if not spectacular in a very specialist position he’s not exactly built for.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:45 pm Probably spot on bar Cooper. You have to feel a little sorry for Pascal in this scenario, he’s been solid if not spectacular in a very specialist position he’s not exactly built for.
Struijk has been very solid defending the left back position. All credit to him in that regard. But he offers very little going forward. And in this system we need our outside backs to be able to get up and down the flanks. Like it or not that's where the width mostly comes from. Firpo can definitely get up and down. But he is a piss poor defender from what I've seen. Having said that, in this system with Koch and Struijk as the two central defenders. And Adams covering ground as a destroyer it can work. For me Junior Firpo is the last big unknown piece of the puzzle in Jesse's system. How will it work? Maybe we start to find out this weekend.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:15 pm Struijk has been very solid defending the left back position. All credit to him in that regard. But he offers very little going forward. And in this system we need our outside backs to be able to get up and down the flanks. Like it or not that's where the width mostly comes from. Firpo can definitely get up and down. But he is a piss poor defender from what I've seen. Having said that, in this system with Koch and Struijk as the two central defenders. And Adams covering ground as a destroyer it can work. For me Junior Firpo is the last big unknown piece of the puzzle in Jesse's system. How will it work? Maybe we start to find out this weekend.
What I mean is Paul that Pascal will not be a starter, not even in his favoured CB position. Cooper & Koch 100%. And I’m sure Firpo starts. That’s a shame for Pascal but hey ho. Palace at least aren’t Villa so hopefully no cheating. Although Zaha….
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:35 pm What I mean is Paul that Pascal will not be a starter, not even in his favoured CB position. Cooper & Koch 100%. And I’m sure Firpo starts. That’s a shame for Pascal but hey ho. Palace at least aren’t Villa so hopefully no cheating. Although Zaha….
Sorry, I misunderstood. So you think Struijk is the odd man out. I hope that's not the case as I see Koch/Struijk as the best and most natural central pairing. I like Cooper but think he struggles at this level.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Jaydog »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:44 pm Sorry, I misunderstood. So you think Struijk is the odd man out. I hope that's not the case as I see Koch/Struijk as the best and most natural central pairing. I like Cooper but think he struggles at this level.
That’s ok, Anglo American translation 😀
Yes. He is the odd man out but I’d probably play him alongside Koch although Cooper seems a natural captain. Saying that I hope he gave Luis a rocket.
I read he followed Ayling down the tunnel after his crazy red last season and asked him why. Ayling said he honestly didn’t know why, pressure probably. Or words to that effect.
Btw as I said before I marked Marsch down to a 5 because I thought he was maybe the cause of some ill discipline. I’m not totally convinced now. He has a pretty low ish yellow count and when you read about the reds it’s more down to the incredible pressure of last season & can you really blame Luis on him this season.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:53 pm That’s ok, Anglo American translation 😀
Yes. He is the odd man out but I’d probably play him alongside Koch although Cooper seems a natural captain. Saying that I hope he gave Luis a rocket.
I read he followed Ayling down the tunnel after his crazy red last season and asked him why. Ayling said he honestly didn’t know why, pressure probably. Or words to that effect.
Btw as I said before I marked Marsch down to a 5 because I thought he was maybe the cause of some ill discipline. I’m not totally convinced now. He has a pretty low ish yellow count and when you read about the reds it’s more down to the incredible pressure of last season & can you really blame Luis on him this season.
I agree. The Sinesterra red card is 100% on the player. The last thing JM wanted was to have a player sent off in the first 5 minutes of the second half. To believe that it was somehow Jesse's fault is absolute madness.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Think Bamford for Sinisterra will be the only change to the XI

Harrison - Rodrigo - Aaronson as the 3 attacking mids. Not sure who'll play the right side between Aaronson and Rodrigo.

Marsch will be looking to get Fripo in at LB. But my guess is that Strujik will keep his place there for at least one more game
danhirons
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3881
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by danhirons »

Important game this weekend -

win and we start looking up the table again

lose and we're starting to get dragged down into the relegation mix already at this start of the season
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

User avatar
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 2977
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:23 am

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Pullhard »

Another fixture where we should be picking up points. Hopefully the London hoodoo is confined to history.
Surprised if Bamford has 90 mins in him
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Pullhard wrote: ↑Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:34 am Another fixture where we should be picking up points. Hopefully the London hoodoo is confined to history.
Surprised if Bamford has 90 mins in him
Hoping for a point at the very least, Pullhard
Nord VPN
Stream games in safety! Get NordVPN with up to 75% off + 3 months free
Get NordVPN →
Post Reply