Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: ↑Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:55 pm I had the whole family over in League 1, f****g MK Dons, we won 4-1 and Showunmi scored.

I was over regularly in the Championship.

Fulham on Sunday will be the only Premiership game I’ve been able to get a ticket for in three years. Ironically, I got lucky in the membership ballot, but I had to risk not getting a ticket and book and pay for flights in advance.

And as you say, it costs nearly the price of a season ticket every time, whatever league we’re in. I wonder how many of the Norwegian fans have stopped coming?
I truly hope Jesse has Leeds geared up to win for you Davy :tup:
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Jammy 07 »

Personally I'm loving going to games in the PL and finishing mid table for the next decade wouldn't frustrate me in the slightest. By comparision the prospect of watching winning football in the Championship or L1 holds virtually no appeal whatsoever and fills me with dread.

However to answer the question would relegation be bad ?

Guess it depends on whether you like colossal upheaval, extensive financial trauma and the possibility of administration again.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79006
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by The Subhuman »

God the Championship is a much poorer division than it was when we had to fight our way out of it.. There's no good teams just middle of the table teams that find themselves toward the top because it is so poor.. Burnley maybe come through, should come through and win at a canter.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Mountain »

Jammy 07 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:26 pm Guess it depends on whether you like colossal upheaval, extensive financial trauma and the possibility of administration again.
Didn't our financial ruin come as a result of trying to keep up with the big teams in the PL 20 years ago?
User avatar
Rook
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Rook »

Wrong thread. Oops.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Musicman1965 »

Football clubs are a business comanding millions of pounds in turn over....
To be relagated to the Championship results in lost revenue.
The wages of player do not reduce just because the team are relagated....Contracts are in place to protect the player.s
Its an absolute disaster to be relegated.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by 1964white »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:34 pm Didn't our financial ruin come as a result of trying to keep up with the big teams in the PL 20 years ago?
Have you noticed how much debt the rest of the premier league clubs are in?

We maybe in profit but that will be a major reason why we suffer relegation next June.

Meanwhile as our owners walk away with their pockets full, leaving us fans in total despair, especially those who spend their hard earned dosh on following LUFC.
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Mountain »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:49 pm Football clubs are a business comanding millions of pounds in turn over....
To be relagated to the Championship results in lost revenue.
The wages of player do not reduce just because the team are relagated....Contracts are in place to protect the player.s
Its an absolute disaster to be relegated.
But that's my fundamental point. We have reduced it all to business, how much is a club worth, revenue, contracts etc. When I was young, we spoke of the beautiful game, no one knew or analysed how much the owner was worth. Now we hear phrases like "it's a results business" more often. And I have said again and again, the biggest factor in determining how a club does is the wealth of the owner, Leeds will usually struggle in the PL and there is little fun in that.
I'm not saying the Championship is better, merely that I don't see it as the disaster that some do. I preferred the happiness of winning in Bielsa's first 2 seasons over the struggle and mediocrity of this and last season.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:24 pm God the Championship is a much poorer division than it was when we had to fight our way out of it.. There's no good teams just middle of the table teams that find themselves toward the top because it is so poor.. Burnley maybe come through, should come through and win at a canter.
When we were in the championship three seasons ago, we had Bielsa & Hernandez.

It won't be so easy back in the championship next season.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155173
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by 1964white »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:09 pm But that's my fundamental point. We have reduced it all to business, how much is a club worth, revenue, contracts etc. When I was young, we spoke of the beautiful game, no one knew or analysed how much the owner was worth. Now we hear phrases like "it's a results business" more often. And I have said again and again, the biggest factor in determining how a club does is the wealth of the owner, Leeds will usually struggle in the PL and there is little fun in that.
I'm not saying the Championship is better, merely that I don't see it as the disaster that some do. I preferred the happiness of winning in Bielsa's first 2 seasons over the struggle and mediocrity of this and last season.
We won't have Marcelo next time.
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Musicman1965 »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:09 pm But that's my fundamental point. We have reduced it all to business, how much is a club worth, revenue, contracts etc. When I was young, we spoke of the beautiful game, no one knew or analysed how much the owner was worth. Now we hear phrases like "it's a results business" more often. And I have said again and again, the biggest factor in determining how a club does is the wealth of the owner, Leeds will usually struggle in the PL and there is little fun in that.
I'm not saying the Championship is better, merely that I don't see it as the disaster that some do. I preferred the happiness of winning in Bielsa's first 2 seasons over the struggle and mediocrity of this and last season.
I totally understand, but there has to be a balance between entertainment and actual reality. I am with you when you say how how our former manager brought a style of football that had you going through every emotion. Its sad I know but if we are to remain in the premiership there has to be common sense employed because fun is only allowed to those that have the stability of the top 10 teams.
Every thing else is a struggle to keep in the division. I hope that Leeds can be enjoy the freedom to experiment with players knowing it really does not effect our standing.....Its a great position to be in but we are not there yet.......Thanks for your comments...
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Kennyb41 »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:09 pm But that's my fundamental point. We have reduced it all to business, how much is a club worth, revenue, contracts etc. When I was young, we spoke of the beautiful game, no one knew or analysed how much the owner was worth. Now we hear phrases like "it's a results business" more often. And I have said again and again, the biggest factor in determining how a club does is the wealth of the owner, Leeds will usually struggle in the PL and there is little fun in that.
I'm not saying the Championship is better, merely that I don't see it as the disaster that some do. I preferred the happiness of winning in Bielsa's first 2 seasons over the struggle and mediocrity of this and last season.
I'm with ya Mountain for those 2 Bert years, but fck me no with all the rest of the wilderness years.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Jaydog »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:09 pm But that's my fundamental point. We have reduced it all to business, how much is a club worth, revenue, contracts etc. When I was young, we spoke of the beautiful game, no one knew or analysed how much the owner was worth. Now we hear phrases like "it's a results business" more often. And I have said again and again, the biggest factor in determining how a club does is the wealth of the owner, Leeds will usually struggle in the PL and there is little fun in that.
I'm not saying the Championship is better, merely that I don't see it as the disaster that some do. I preferred the happiness of winning in Bielsa's first 2 seasons over the struggle and mediocrity of this and last season.
And where did we end up after relegation. League 1.
As I said the championship has a trap door also.
Don’t see us as a yo-yo club like Fulham or Norwich so it would be mid table mediocrity till the next Bielsa comes along in 2096. Sounds like fun. Not
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Jammy 07
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Jammy 07 »

Mountain wrote: ↑Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:34 pm Didn't our financial ruin come as a result of trying to keep up with the big teams in the PL 20 years ago?
Well yes and no.

Certainly we overspent, but being relegated with what was still a decent enough squad is what made the situation unmanagable. Had we stayed in the PL, then history has shown that our financial income would have dramatically increased and we could have easily serviced the debt.

Regarding the administration a certain Mr Kenneth Bates would need to answer truthfully about who exactly was owed what and why. As we all know he was not forthcoming with the answers at the time and rang rings around the administrators with his 'smoke and mirrors ' act so it's unlikely now that the real truth will ever be known. I'd happily hazard an educated guess but as I have no proof it probably wouldn't be wise until Mr Bates is in the ground.
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Byebyegeegee »

We must accept that football, the working man’s game, has been completely taken over by the elites and has become an immoral, unscrupulous, iniquitous money mad circus where the few haves will always be at the top and the rest nowhere. We also must accept that the once mighty Super Leeds are in “the rest” camp and as such a struggle in the Premier League or mid-table mediocrity in the Championship or League 1, God forbid, is our destiny.

In that respect relegation at some time in the future is almost guaranteed, so whether it would “be so bad” or not, I’m sure we will find out because it will be inevitable.
Overman
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3324
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Overman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: ↑Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:35 am We must accept that football, the working man’s game, has been completely taken over by the elites and has become an immoral, unscrupulous, iniquitous money mad circus where the few haves will always be at the top and the rest nowhere. We also must accept that the once mighty Super Leeds are in “the rest” camp and as such a struggle in the Premier League or mid-table mediocrity in the Championship or League 1, God forbid, is our destiny.

In that respect relegation at some time in the future is almost guaranteed, so whether it would “be so bad” or not, I’m sure we will find out because it will be inevitable.
Yes, with this current board and trajectory it will be inevitable. I always find it puzzling that Leeds never seem to attract those uber wealthy owners. There's almost an aversion to purchasing the club and they'll chance their arm somewhere else. We seem to attract all kinds of shysters throughout the years. I will always say this club has vast potential with the size of its fan base and being a one club city. Sadly, this potential never seems to be realised.
User avatar
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 2705
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by pjm2019 »

we need to stay up BUT someone at the club needs to understand our failings: we had one of the worst defences last season and did not bring anyone in during the summer improve, we did not score enough goals last season and we did not bring in another number 9 in the summer. We need a much better left back, we need a much better centre back and we need a proved goal scorer (number 9) these 3 players we need on the 1st January. Otherwise i can see us going down.
Leeds need a great summer 2026 with outgoings and incoming players
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by Mountain »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:23 am And where did we end up after relegation. League 1.
As I said the championship has a trap door also.
Don’t see us as a yo-yo club like Fulham or Norwich so it would be mid table mediocrity till the next Bielsa comes along in 2096. Sounds like fun. Not
And again, the promotion season in League 1 was one of the more enjoyable seasons in the past 20. I think people really undervalue the feel good factor of winning games at whatever level a club plays, and overstate the enjoyment of being in the top flight even if just scraping along.

As I said before, it's something we see here in Ireland, we have the worst team and the worst players ever, we're miles off qualifying for a tournament. But conversely we are playing more attractive football than ever, and fans appreciate that and have parked the whole "results are all that matters" mentality.
User avatar
velo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4179
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by velo »

we will soon see, this bunch of clowns won't even care, thats what hurts
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23126
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by SG90 »

If it got rid of Radz, I'd take it tbh
Post Reply