Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155290
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by 1964white »

I've resigned myself that we are going down.

Yesterday once again I watched in horror where our players can't even do the basics right.

We were outclassed by the former championship champions after being turned over with ease by Leicester & Palace.

In the end :

Bielsa failed
Marsch has failed.

The common denominator is our board

Jesse has to go, but I doubt whoever succeeds him will be unable to turn around this current shambles we find ourselves in, some of our squad are clearly not good enough at this level.

The writing was on the wall last season & during the summer, the board didn't address the gaping problems within our squad & as a consequence we are joint-bottom. Pretty certain when the season restarts at Christmas time, we'll be rock bottom.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23139
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:07 am I've resigned myself that we are going down.

Yesterday once again I watched in horror where our players can't even do the basics right.

We were outclassed by the former championship champions after being turned over with ease by Leicester & Palace.

In the end :

Bielsa failed
Marsch has failed.

The common denominator is our board

Jesse has to go, but I doubt whoever succeeds him will be unable to turn around this current shambles we find ourselves in, some of our squad are clearly not good enough at this level.

The writing was on the wall last season & during the summer, the board didn't address the gaping problems within our squad & as a consequence we are joint-bottom. Pretty certain when the season restarts at Christmas time, we'll be rock bottom.
I said last season we were just delaying the inevitable, and it's when, rather than if, we go down. Radz had a chance to sell in the summer, but his ego got in the way. He has no one to blame but himself for losing out on his fortune

No point coming back up the under current board. We need new owners with the ambition to make us a mainstay in the PL and fulfil the club's potential.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155290
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:19 am I said last season we were just delaying the inevitable, and it's when, rather than if, we go down. Radz had a chance to sell in the summer, but his ego got in the way. He has no one to blame but himself for losing out on his fortune

No point coming back up the under current board. We need new owners with the ambition to make us a mainstay in the PL and fulfil the club's potential.
They have sold our club & fans down the river, SG

Fans at the ground know the score & have turned, more to come at Anfield & the Bournemouth home game!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23139
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad?

Post by SG90 »

Overman wrote: ↑Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:08 am Yes, with this current board and trajectory it will be inevitable. I always find it puzzling that Leeds never seem to attract those uber wealthy owners. There's almost an aversion to purchasing the club and they'll chance their arm somewhere else. We seem to attract all kinds of shysters throughout the years. I will always say this club has vast potential with the size of its fan base and being a one club city. Sadly, this potential never seems to be realised.
Unfortunately we will always attract shysters looking to milk us dry, due to our commercial income and turnover being so high. It's easier to be a smaller club with little potential. The irony is, if these owners ran us correctly, they'd make even more money.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23139
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:33 am They have sold our club & fans down the river, SG

Fans at the ground know the score & have turned, more to come at Anfield & the Bournemouth home game!
:tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23139
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by SG90 »

Upon relegation, the parachute payments will go to the company Radz took loans out on. So we're screwed. We need to sell anyone decent to cover that £100m+ loss of income. It certainly won't be a cakewalk, more like a West Brom or Stoke situation I'd say. Be lucky if we don't drop again.
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Personally, I’m in a quandary about the future of Leeds United.

Whilst, of course, I want us to stay in the Premier League and, more than that, be competing at the top end of the league and vying for trophies just like the good old days. However, it seems, that these days to do that, a club needs a bottomless pit of money, have no concern about wasting the odd £100m or so on a regular basis and have a mindset that is blind to the obscenity of paying players £250000/week for just kicking a ball around a field. I’m not sure I would like us to be on that particular merry-go-round.

We are in a recession, with inflation running in double figures and fuel and heating costs doubling and trebling in the blink of an eye. Many hard working people are going to feel the pinch this year and a lot are going to suffer the consequences with untold misery, and yet the Premier League football circus just carries on with ever escalating, ludicrous fees and wages for average players, quite oblivious to the plight of their hard working fans.

I commented before that football, the working man’s game, has been totally captured and taken over by the elites and in my opinion is far the worse for it. If being taken over by a mega-rich conglomerate, like Citeh or Newcastle, is the only way to compete these days (and it looks as though it is) then I’m not sure that, in all consciousness, I would be comfortable with that scenario for Leeds United in these straitened times.

I’m genuinely torn between wanting my team to be as good and competitive as it can be but also being able to see the stark contrast financially between the Premier League circus and the reality of ordinary people’s lives.

Perhaps relegation wouldn’t be so bad after all!
User avatar
RiderJake
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:53 am

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by RiderJake »

Byebyegeegee wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:09 am Personally, I’m in a quandary about the future of Leeds United.

Whilst, of course, I want us to stay in the Premier League and, more than that, be competing at the top end of the league and vying for trophies just like the good old days. However, it seems, that these days to do that, a club needs a bottomless pit of money, have no concern about wasting the odd £100m or so on a regular basis and have a mindset that is blind to the obscenity of paying players £250000/week for just kicking a ball around a field. I’m not sure I would like us to be on that particular merry-go-round.

We are in a recession, with inflation running in double figures and fuel and heating costs doubling and trebling in the blink of an eye. Many hard working people are going to feel the pinch this year and a lot are going to suffer the consequences with untold misery, and yet the Premier League football circus just carries on with ever escalating, ludicrous fees and wages for average players, quite oblivious to the plight of their hard working fans.

I commented before that football, the working man’s game, has been totally captured and taken over by the elites and in my opinion is far the worse for it. If being taken over by a mega-rich conglomerate, like Citeh or Newcastle, is the only way to compete these days (and it looks as though it is) then I’m not sure that, in all consciousness, I would be comfortable with that scenario for Leeds United in these straitened times.

I’m genuinely torn between wanting my team to be as good and competitive as it can be but also being able to see the stark contrast financially between the Premier League circus and the reality of ordinary people’s lives.

Perhaps relegation wouldn’t be so bad after all!
I completely agree with you. The transfer market gives clubs the opportunity to buy a player at an appropriate price. But such high prices for players who just kick the ball in the grass is overkill. But who determines that price? Ultimately, ordinary people determine it. Because most of the revenues are stadium tickets and television broadcasts. Which are paid for by ordinary people.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79067
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:07 am I've resigned myself that we are going down.

Yesterday once again I watched in horror where our players can't even do the basics right.

We were outclassed by the former championship champions after being turned over with ease by Leicester & Palace.

In the end :

Bielsa failed
Marsch has failed.

The common denominator is our board

Jesse has to go, but I doubt whoever succeeds him will be unable to turn around this current shambles we find ourselves in, some of our squad are clearly not good enough at this level.

The writing was on the wall last season & during the summer, the board didn't address the gaping problems within our squad & as a consequence we are joint-bottom. Pretty certain when the season restarts at Christmas time, we'll be rock bottom.
I haven't, not at all. Still a lot of football to be played. Just need Marsch to stop shooting us in the foot every game
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:14 pm
Location: God’s own county (north)

Re: Would relegation be so bad? Get use to it folks.

Post by Byebyegeegee »

RiderJake wrote: ↑Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:23 am I completely agree with you. The transfer market gives clubs the opportunity to buy a player at an appropriate price. But such high prices for players who just kick the ball in the grass is overkill. But who determines that price? Ultimately, ordinary people determine it. Because most of the revenues are stadium tickets and television broadcasts. Which are paid for by ordinary people.
You are quite right Jake (welcome to the Forum btw) it is partly down to market forces and I understand that. Although I believe that, in a lot of cases, it is being escalated out of all proportion by mega-rich owners who have the wherewithal to be able to throw billions down the drain in pursuit of a fatuous and hollow vanity project.

Football and in particular the Premier League is built on very shaky foundations and if and when the time comes that such owners get bored and get out or a recession bites so deep that Sky can no longer function at current levels then the reckoning will be quite devastating.
Post Reply