How long should Jesse get? Votes can be changed post Liverpool

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Which game should decide his future?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:39 pm

Liverpool
28%
Bournemouth
50%
Wolves
No votes
Tottenham
22%
After World Cup
No votes

Total votes: 32

Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: How long should Jesse get?

Post by Jimang »

My view is, if we lose against Liverpool which is of course the most likely scenario, Jesse will be gone. I think a draw or, Lord forbid a victory, in that match, will see him continue for the Bournemouth game. Again, a loss here would see him sacked, but another good result would probably save him till after the World Cup. Basically his future will be decided game to game over the next few weeks. It will be interesting to see how the players react, I think they like and support him, so will give it everything. Whether they or the system is good enough is a different matter.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Jimang wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:07 pm My view is, if we lose against Liverpool which is of course the most likely scenario, Jesse will be gone. I think a draw or, Lord forbid a victory, in that match, will see him continue for the Bournemouth game. Again, a loss here would see him sacked, but another good result would probably save him till after the World Cup. Basically his future will be decided game to game over the next few weeks. It will be interesting to see how the players react, I think they like and support him, so will give it everything. Whether they or the system is good enough is a different matter.
Eh ?? You don't want us to beat Liverpool just because you want rid of Jesse.
That's some fucked up thinking.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

I was being sarcastic because it is extremely unlikely to happen. Obviously I want us to win! I think some people spend more time scrutinising every single word people write to try and find a way to score points. If it helps I will write my posts in a more basic format so you can understand my meaning.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

Also, I voted to keep Jesse in the pile at this moment in time because I don't see a better alternating in the list provided.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Getting rid after a game we would most probably always expect to lose makes no sense unless the performance is abysmal but then he could have 6 first teamers out. Would it unsettle the squad going in to Bournemouth. Getting to 12 points seems so important whilst also beating a relegation candidate that I wouldn’t risk it. He’ll get the next 3 I think
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

LTID wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:41 pm I think it depends on Liverpool, if they absolutely annihilate us, there's no way he stays. If we look competitive but still lose, he will get Bournemouth. Lose to Bournemouth, he's gone, draw or win and he gets Wolves. Knocked out by Wolves and he's gone.

It's a matter of when, not if, so what's the point, put him out of his misery.
I will go with this. Although a win against Bournemouth is hardly pulling up trees but it may be the game that buys Marsch more time.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:42 pm Getting rid after a game we would most probably always expect to lose makes no sense unless the performance is abysmal but then he could have 6 first teamers out. Would it unsettle the squad going in to Bournemouth. Getting to 12 points seems so important whilst also beating a relegation candidate that I wouldn’t risk it. He’ll get the next 3 I think
It's not 6 first teamers out is it though? He's listed Gelhardt and Hjelde who we know he'd have no plans of starting. As such the potential list is Sini, Adams, Cooper and Rodrigo. So even worst case scenario it is 4 of his possible first team starters that are out - but only 2 matches ago it was his choice to drop/rest Cooper and Rodrigo anyway.

Really is a case of taking an excuse and embellishing the sh*t out of it.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:34 pm It's not 6 first teamers out is it though? He's listed Gelhardt and Hjelde who we know he'd have no plans of starting. As such the potential list is Sini, Adams, Cooper and Rodrigo. So even worst case scenario it is 4 of his possible first team starters that are out - but only 2 matches ago it was his choice to drop/rest Cooper and Rodrigo anyway.

Thought I read 6. Tbh sometimes I don’t read these things properly and just make up what sounds good. My general approach to life. Either way if you watched the Ajax game, and they look a far better side than us, we are going to get a damn good thrashing old chap.
And Klopp reverted to a 442 with the old midfield diamond.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:34 pm It's not 6 first teamers out is it though? He's listed Gelhardt and Hjelde who we know he'd have no plans of starting. As such the potential list is Sini, Adams, Cooper and Rodrigo. So even worst case scenario it is 4 of his possible first team starters that are out - but only 2 matches ago it was his choice to drop/rest Cooper and Rodrigo anyway.

Jesse built his squad for this

Rodrigo? No worry, play Bamford. Gelhardt? Are we going to miss his 6 minute cameo?

Hjelde still an under 21

Sinsiterra? Sent James out on loan. So the club must believe we've got the wings covered with Summerville and Harrison. Or the guy they brought in to replace James that we haven't seen yet.

Cooper? Like you said, we could afford to rest him a couple of weeks ago. They believe Koch, Llorenete, Strujik, Kristenssen, Ayling, and Fripo are good enough to fill 4 positions.

Adams? Well Forshaw injury was an inevitability, so they knew Greenwood, Klich, and Gyabi were enough back up.

So. No. Can't bemoan those injuries. I'm surprised his press conference didn't mention the great work we did in summer and how we've got everything covered.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Interesting how the poll has only 1 in 20 giving him until the world cup. That was my pick a couple of weeks ago. But no points from Fulham, Leicester, Palace was an abysmal run. I would have pulled the trigger after that.

Where the board stands now is anyone's guess. Liverpool might seem like a bit of a freebie. Leave Jesse in charge. Most managers would be unlikely to get anything from this game. The board might have it down as a free pass too. But you never know. Maybe they're just buying time. Maybe Jesse pulls a surprise. Maybe we get beat 9-0 and he's gone on Sunday.

Anything less than 3 points in the next two games (most likely beating Bournemouth), he's gone. Maybe they give him until the world cup. But if he doesn't beat Bournemouth it's curtains.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Actually if we allow the clubs bullshit excuse of expanding the first team squad and including people like Gyabi and Gray on there first team squad on the website then it's 9 first team players out vs Liverpool or potentially.

Archie Gray
Joe Gelhardt
Stuart Dallas
Luis Sinisterra
Rodrigo
Liam Cooper
Adam Forshaw
Tyler Adams
Leo Hjelde

All considered 1st team players according to the club.

Whether they are first team player quality is a moot point, whether Jesse considers them as such is his choice.

The club insists they are and some of our fans are adamant we have a larger first team squad this season

So it's 9 and if you include Patrick Bamford who is miles off match fit/sharp and Junior Firpo then itz 11.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:16 pm Actually if we allow the clubs bullshit excuse of expanding the first team squad and including people like Gyabi and Gray on there first team squad on the website then it's 9 first team players out vs Liverpool or potentially.

Archie Gray
Joe Gelhardt
Stuart Dallas
Luis Sinisterra
Rodrigo
Liam Cooper
Adam Forshaw
Tyler Adams
Leo Hjelde

All considered 1st team players according to the club.

Whether they are first team player quality is a moot point, whether Jesse considers them as such is his choice.

The club insists they are and some of our fans are adamant we have a larger first team squad this season

So it's 9
Yeah. But we've got all those other players as back up too. I mean we had an ample 1st team squad after the summer window. So surely a few injuries are nothing to worry about given the excellent job we did of expanding the squad.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I went for Bournemouth.

I don't see the logic of sacking him for not doing well vs Liverpool.

But I expect the club to give him until the World Cup atleast.

I just think they will use the data as justification and they will cling on as long as possible as I feel they lack the money and organisation to do it earlier.

It's a very poor state of affairs and personally I think if Marsch goes then so should Orta.

Any normal club would sack the DOF for these failures.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:20 pm Yeah. But we've got all those other players as back up too. I mean we had an ample 1st team squad after the summer window. So surely a few injuries are nothing to worry about given the excellent job we did of expanding the squad.
We haven't expanded the squad at all.

Orta already said we wouldn't in the summer.

Club website shows 27 players.

3 goalies

They've included Darko Gyabi, Archie Gray, Sam Greenwood, Joe Gelhardt, Leo Hjelde, Crysencio Summerville and Cody Drameh.

Kids.

Take those out with the 3 goalies and its 17 first team players and that includes permanent crock Adam Forshaw and Stuart Dallas who likely won't play again this season.

Squad is no bigger they have just added the kids Bielsa had as backup to the first team list and 2 kids with 0 first team appearances ever in Gray and Gyabi.

It's spin.

In terms of experienced first team players we have the smallest first team squad in the league
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:27 pm We haven't expanded the squad at all.

Orta already said we wouldn't in the summer.

Club website shows 27 players.

3 goalies

They've included Darko Gyabi, Archie Gray, Sam Greenwood, Joe Gelhardt, Leo Hjelde, Crysencio Summerville and Cody Drameh.

Kids.

Take those out with the 3 goalies and its 17 first team players and that includes permanent crock Adam Forshaw and Stuart Dallas who likely won't play again this season.

Squad is no bigger they have just added the kids Bielsa had as backup to the first team list and 2 kids with 0 first team appearances ever in Gray and Gyabi.

It's spin.

In terms of experienced first team players we have the smallest first team squad in the league
One of the reasons why we sit 18th in PL table.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Needs to go before world cup imo.
Problem is after Bielsa there wasn't a system of succession and Marsch was a gamble which thanks to results going our way last day of the season saved us.
To me he doesn't even know his best 11, dropping players who are in form and messing around with the defence.
He's tactically inept, incapable of closing out a game and his substitutions are baffling to say the least.
The players should be good enough to finish above the drop zone but not with JM at the helm.
Whoever gets the job next faces a massive task but it's imperative we get someone in who can develop and progress the club to where the fans deserve it to be whatever the cost.
Sorry Jesse but you're out of your depth here mate.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Bournemouth I reckon. All we can hope for at Anfield is a plucky performance against superior opposition.

If he can get us a win next home game I would expect the board to hang on, and the fan base to calm down a bit too.

If he loses that I would hope he walks, but they never do these days.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:31 pm One of the reasons why we sit 18th in PL table.
Major reason.

It's totally unsustainable to run a squad like that at Premier League level especially when a good chunk of them are very injury prone.
Signed

King Cjay

Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

He's had too long already imo
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

The only reason I can see for not sacking him is there is no replacement in line. I don't think sacking him without some kind of direction and succession plan is wise. So give him until the WC and hopefully by then Victor and the board can come up with a viable alternative.

As far as tactics and managerial acumen go, I was convinced we should have sacked him after Palace, but Leicester was the absolute no way back moment. His decisions there were indisputably moronic.

I only hope we can find someone better at this awkward moment.