Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Jesse Marsch post Bournemouth

Post by Cjay »

Marsch's here - where do we start?

Consistency is what we are lacking. From moment to moment in matches. Good part: belief is high in the group. Even at HT, I tried ti gove them adjustments and reinforce belief, but I could see they knew they could win this match

HT message?
No. More just tactical adjustments and talked about attention and if the crowd booed them was to focus on tactical roles and discipline. eXecute how we wanted them to play. Come into the game more and more, and take our goals. Challenged it was giving up the goal, Whole second half was very good

Subs
Rotated more to a 4-3-3- against the ball, which would help us against the ball. Position to transition more. Sam better eight than Marc. Help with set-pieces and deliveries. Did not anticipate that great goal

Winning goal
Never have simple wins. Collected a lot of points in the final minutes. Strong belief in what we're trying to do. Have to all be invested in this. Even if they came up short it would have hurt, but w would have seen our backbone to never stop

Bamford
Felt something in his hip when he took a penalty in the last action of training.

Enjoyed last fortnight?
No. Just want our team. We believe we can win now. After Fulham, waiting to lose, flipped that. Today, tonight, really good stretches in the game, but looking for consistency makes life easier.

Need the break?
Almost a shame because we are finally getting momentum. Not thinking about the break. Wolves and Spurs.

Emotional spectrum?
Discipline second half better than the first. Too passive first half. Best when we are on the front foot. Couple of plays together then we open the game up and lose control. They are trying to be disciplined with the tactics. Good moments you can see how good they are.

Gnonto and Summerville friendship
I saw them and asked if he saw my press conference. Cree said no and Willy said yes. He said I agree and I understand. Cree is developing and you can see his confidence. Push him to be mature and be a complete player. Can see it swelling and growing. Build them up and use their talent and desire to improve. Good recipe for success.

Quiet team?

We drop too much under pressure, get tight and invite balls in front of the backline instead of being braver to follow men and trusting we will be together. Still breaking habits of how they used to play. Keeping them on the front foot. Afterwards, Lineker asks me was the game in need of more defence. What I said was we need to be more aggressive to control the game.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: Jesse Marsch

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Hi three points today but it’s difficult to say the plan worked. He needs to demonstrate we can manage games like this without it descending into chaos.
hector

Post by hector »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:35 pm While our concessions were all individual errors there is too much wrong with the system.
They get in behind us way too easily, but we knew that would be the case even before he arrived.

Funny thing is that while we could be beaten by anyone we could also win against anyone and that could give the fans a few nice days out on a cup run.

But I will need a lot of convincing
This :tup:
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:35 pm While our concessions were all individual errors there is too much wrong with the system.
They get in behind us way too easily, but we knew that would be the case even before he arrived.

Funny thing is that while we could be beaten by anyone we could also win against anyone and that could give the fans a few nice days out on a cup run.

But I will need a lot of convincing
Fortunately it will never be your decision to make. I take the view that you need to stick with a manager, as stability is the key to success. Changing manager just because a few results don't go your way is not a good idea.
Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Marsch Out

Post by Bongo1874 »

Very interesting thread some great opinions 👍.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

No matter what happens at Spurs, and I think we can get a result there, we will go into the WC break on at least 15 points from 14 matches. Better than a point per game. It's been ugly, frustrating, and hugely disappointing at times this season. And yet we find ourselves in decent shape. There are currently six teams averaging less than a point per game. And we have games in hand on all of them.

I liked the recruiting we did in the summer. Jesse's players have been mostly good. Five new starters. And now Gnonto looks like he is developing into a sixth starter from that window. And Summerville is starting to develop into a legit first team player and frankly a starter. I was among the first to call for Jesse's head. But now I'm wondering what he can do with another transfer window. We need a Left Back and a Striker. If the Board will back that then I am now in favor of staying the course.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Jesse Marsch post Bournemouth

Post by Sockerist »

I'm glad Jesse is making good tactical decisions. I still think he should have changed tactics more radically in some games to reflect our players and opponents, rather than conservatively adapting his own system - especially to give us width and create space in front of defences (which I believe would improve Bamford's game).

Nevertheless, all credit to Jesse. He's doing fine.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

theBlingGoblin wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:26 pm Are you not entertained?

I just wish they'd drop the whole series, so I could binge it.
:lol: :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Welcome to the forum
gladiator-russell-crowe.gif
gladiator-russell-crowe.gif (484.08 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:52 pm No matter what happens at Spurs, and I think we can get a result there, we will go into the WC break on at least 15 points from 14 matches. Better than a point per game. It's been ugly, frustrating, and hugely disappointing at times this season. And yet we find ourselves in decent shape. There are currently six teams averaging less than a point per game. And we have games in hand on all of them.

I liked the recruiting we did in the summer. Jesse's players have been mostly good. Five new starters. And now Gnonto looks like he is developing into a sixth starter from that window. And Summerville is starting to develop into a legit first team player and frankly a starter. I was among the first to call for Jesse's head. But now I'm wondering what he can do with another transfer window. We need a Left Back and a Striker. If the Board will back that then I am now in favor of staying the course.
:tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I'd happily take a few boring 1-0s :lol:
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

This thread is stupid. It's a new manager and still too early to make such judgements - either way. There are people on here and elsewhere who were calling for Jesse to be sacked before we'd even played 10 games in the season. Conversely, Jesse does have weaknesses (as we all do) and it's too early to say whether he will put down roots here or have to move on.

One thing I've noticed is that the most successful clubs tend to stick with a manager through thick and thin. That doesn't mean you stick with a bad manager - not the same thing. It does mean that you stick with a good manager, despite bad results. That's the road to success and trophies.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sockerist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:38 pm Fortunately it will never be your decision to make. I take the view that you need to stick with a manager, as stability is the key to success. Changing manager just because a few results don't go your way is not a good idea.
It isn't few results it's a third of a season of using an awful system which doesn't work. It only ever worked for Marsch in Austria where he managed the best side in the league.
Our four wins have all come against misfiring teams who.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:39 am " Leeds show the same willingness to get on the front foot that they did under Marcelo Bielsa, only with a bit more pragmatism. "

Funny how that view never gets expressed on this forum, given the extreme negativity on here about Marsch's tactics.

Cjay - as you are great at stats, can you calculate roughly how many points Bamford's glaring misses have cost so far this season ? It would be an interesting stat to know, as it has surely impacted on that winless period before the Liverpool game.
Can't do that really Chapel.

To many variables and what ifs.

It's going to be atleast 3 points I'd say at the lower end.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Sockerist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:26 pm This thread is stupid. It's a new manager and still too early to make such judgements - either way. There are people on here and elsewhere who were calling for Jesse to be sacked before we'd even played 10 games in the season. Conversely, Jesse does have weaknesses (as we all do) and it's too early to say whether he will put down roots here or have to move on.

One thing I've noticed is that the most successful clubs tend to stick with a manager through thick and thin. That doesn't mean you stick with a bad manager - not the same thing. It does mean that you stick with a good manager, despite bad results. That's the road to success and trophies.
:tup:
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:28 pm It isn't few results it's a third of a season of using an awful system which doesn't work. It only ever worked for Marsch in Austria where he managed the best side in the league.
It is a few results. You're itching for him to be sacked, aren't you. What terrible thing must this fellow have done to deserve it? Let's see:

-We've beaten Chelsea and Liverpool, and should have beaten Arsenal.

-We're 12th. in the world's top sports league.

-We play exciting, attacking football.

-The club is running at a profit on the transfer market. Under Jesse, they have spent on young, hungry players rather than the show ponies that were bought under your hero and are now - arguably - holding us back.

-He has the team behind him. The board back him 100% and he publicly backs the board.

-The media like him.

Don't get me wrong: Bielsa was a great manager and deserves the lion's share of the credit for Leeds' promotion back to the top flight, but the board deserve credit for recognising when it was time for him to depart and for arranging this in an honoured and dignified way. I admire that they were able to terminate his appointment without humiliating him. They did what was necessary, but they honoured him and ensured in all their messages that he remains a hero to this day - rightly so. That's before we get into the credit the board deserves for steering us back to the top flight and the credit due to Orta for his overall success in picking out players.

I opposed Bielsa's departure. I thought they should have backed him, as he was the victim of mass injury problems in the squad; and it may be that we would have gone on to greater heights under Bielsa and not been relegated. Who knows? No-one can know - that's the thing. The board made their decision, and when Jesse was appointed, from that point on I backed Jesse 100% and have never wavered. I would do the same for any Leeds manager, as long as he is not exposed as an axe murderer. The day I waver will be when it becomes clear that a change is needed. We are far, far from that point and I hope it is not for a long time, and I also hope that when that time does come along, the necessary decision is made and effected in a dignified manner in which all the world can see that our club treats its people well.

I would never want someone like you to be involved in such a decision. You are treating our manager like garbage and frankly carrying on disgracefully, bad mouthing him on here every chance you get, all because he had the misfortune to step into the shoes of a manager you still have an emotional attachment to.

I do, of course, accept there is something in the criticism of Jesse. Everybody has faults and weaknesses. What I will now say is meant constructively and I approach the topic cautiously because Jesse knows more than I do and will face pressures and problems I don't.

I think 'system football' is a little fatuous and a mistake in the Premier League. To put it simply (and to over-simplify it), systems suit leagues like the Bundesliga that are less competitive, where you have two or three really top class teams that the rest can't beat. Although the top of the Premier League is admittedly dominated by two or three clubs, it is still a competitive league in which even the bottom teams can give the top teams a run for their money 'on the day'. There are other points I could make, but I am not against Jesse. I am behind him and, barring extreme circumstances, I will not call for his dismissal - that is not my business. My business as a supporter is to support.

I think it is awfully pretentious for supporters to demand somebody is sacked from his job. I don't know when this became an acceptable thing to do.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:28 pm It isn't few results it's a third of a season of using an awful system which doesn't work. It only ever worked for Marsch in Austria where he managed the best side in the league.
I disagree. It worked extremely well in MLS with RB New York. Jesse turned a club that had never won anything into Conference Champions and Supporter's Shield Winners. (Regular Season Champions). And they had a great run in the CONCACAF Champion's League.

What Jesse did at RBNY is more impressive than what he did in Austria. MLS is a stronger league top to bottom than the Austrian Bundesliga. He also had a kid named Tyler Adams bossing the midfield as a teenager. And a 20 goal scorer named Bradley Wright-Phillips.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:07 pm :lol: :lol:
Good wasn't it?

I'm not a JM fan but I don't like the constant firing and hiring of manager. Continuity doesn't get built that way and the next one will want his own players and the cycle begins again...

I'd like him to learn from his mistakes, he can't have watched the last few games and come Spurs think, "Yep I'll start Jack on the right again"

Liverpool and Chelsea aside I think this lose possession to win possession theory has graduated to concede goals to score goals theory
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sockerist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:01 pm It is a few results. You're itching for him to be sacked, aren't you. What terrible thing must this fellow have done to deserve it? Let's see:

-We've beaten Chelsea and Liverpool, and should have beaten Arsenal.

-We're 12th. in the world's top sports league.

-We play exciting, attacking football.

-The club is running at a profit on the transfer market. Under Jesse, they have spent on young, hungry players rather than the show ponies that were bought under your hero and are now - arguably - holding us back.

-He has the team behind him. The board back him 100% and he publicly backs the board.

-The media like him.

Don't get me wrong: Bielsa was a great manager and deserves the lion's share of the credit for Leeds' promotion back to the top flight, but the board deserve credit for recognising when it was time for him to depart and for arranging this in an honoured and dignified way. I admire that they were able to terminate his appointment without humiliating him. They did what was necessary, but they honoured him and ensured in all their messages that he remains a hero to this day - rightly so. That's before we get into the credit the board deserves for steering us back to the top flight and the credit due to Orta for his overall success in picking out players.

I opposed Bielsa's departure. I thought they should have backed him, as he was the victim of mass injury problems in the squad; and it may be that we would have gone on to greater heights under Bielsa and not been relegated. Who knows? No-one can know - that's the thing. The board made their decision, and when Jesse was appointed, from that point on I backed Jesse 100% and have never wavered. I would do the same for any Leeds manager, as long as he is not exposed as an axe murderer. The day I waver will be when it becomes clear that a change is needed. We are far, far from that point and I hope it is not for a long time, and I also hope that when that time does come along, the necessary decision is made and effected in a dignified manner in which all the world can see that our club treats its people well.

I would never want someone like you to be involved in such a decision. You are treating our manager like garbage and frankly carrying on disgracefully, bad mouthing him on here every chance you get, all because he had the misfortune to step into the shoes of a manager you still have an emotional attachment to.

I do, of course, accept there is something in the criticism of Jesse. Everybody has faults and weaknesses. What I will now say is meant constructively and I approach the topic cautiously because Jesse knows more than I do and will face pressures and problems I don't.

I think 'system football' is a little fatuous and a mistake in the Premier League. To put it simply (and to over-simplify it), systems suit leagues like the Bundesliga that are less competitive, where you have two or three really top class teams that the rest can't beat. Although the top of the Premier League is admittedly dominated by two or three clubs, it is still a competitive league in which even the bottom teams can give the top teams a run for their money 'on the day'. There are other points I could make, but I am not against Jesse. I am behind him and, barring extreme circumstances, I will not call for his dismissal - that is not my business. My business as a supporter is to support.

I think it is awfully pretentious for supporters to demand somebody is sacked from his job. I don't know when this became an acceptable thing to do.
Nice post.

I tell you what though read back the hundreds of posts on here where I have stood as as one of the few who have supported the board, Jesse, struggling players week in week out before you form an opinion and offer me advice about what I should be doing as a supporter.

Tell the truth, what were you honesty thinking in that first half. ? Those players were running about like headless chickens. Watch it back on LUTV when it gets uploaded.
No clue no pathway. They are better than that.

That is shocking, watch Rodrigo with noone to pass to, watch Kristensen, Aaronson running into heavy traffic time and time again. Watch our creative players gambling with their final pass becuase they have no other option.
Watch the defense ball watching and playing so narrow that one ball leaves us exposed.
Watch us getting overloaded all over the pitch.
And it is every week. Anyone who plays half decently picks us off.

We won today by abandoning those principles and because Bournemouth were on the golf course after going 3-1 up. They stopped coming at us which allowed Greenwood a free rein. But before that the scored fom our corner! Was that the first time we were left exposed? CSame two weeks ago v Fulham.

That is systemically shambolic and is up to the manager to solve.

Our players are better than that.

Finally, reread my earlier post and you will read me saying I need convinced. I didnt call for his head today.
I need convinced Not by you. By Jesse.

As for your belief that supporters demand a manager get sacked.
It's a regular occurrence, it is sometimes knee jerk, but not always.

Some other points.
system football. Never heard the expression. Perhaps they use it on Tifo.

But every good manager adapts to use the tools he has at his disposal. A great example was Conte at Chelsea, switched to a back 3 after getting thumped and went on to win the league becuase it shored up a leaky defence.

Jesse needs to change our defensive setup in this league of that I am convinced.
Because we wont always have turn around like we saw today.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

faaip wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:13 pm Good wasn't it?

I'm not a JM fan but I don't like the constant firing and hiring of manager. Continuity doesn't get built that way and the next one will want his own players and the cycle begins again...

I'd like him to learn from his mistakes, he can't have watched the last few games and come Spurs think, "Yep I'll start Jack on the right again"

Liverpool and Chelsea aside I think this lose possession to win possession theory has graduated to concede goals to score goals theory
It's magnanimous of you to give Jesse this second chance. He'll be ever so grateful.

I'll tell you another thing that annoys me: this narrative of 'the kids saved Jesse'. The so-called 'kids' (what a condescending term) are part of a team. Teams win games and lose games, and Jesse picked the squad and decided on overall tactics. So Jesse deserves the main credit, as he's the constant factor between two games, both won. And Summerville is 21, Geldhardt is 20, and Gnonto is a full international. Not kids.

Anyway, before the 'kids' came on against Bournemouth, Rodrigo scored, and when Rodrigo had to come off, he threw a Spanish fit - which I'm pleased about, because I want him and Bamford to be hungry again, if that's possible. (If it's not possible or doesn't happen, then they know what's next).

I fancy us against Tottenham. We'll see. All reason and rhyme would suppose that Manchester City will spank our bottoms red raw, but I'm starting to think that we're the 'unknown quantity' this season. My prediction was that we would finish where we are as of now: 12th., or thereabouts. I am sticking to that prediction for now, but if we despatch Tottenham as handily as we played against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, who knows how far we could climb.