Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Clueless Yank
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: PhilipVU94

Re: Jesse Marsch

Post by Clueless Yank »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:28 pm It isn't few results it's a third of a season of using an awful system which doesn't work. It only ever worked for Marsch in Austria where he managed the best side in the league.
Our four wins have all come against misfiring teams who.
First, literally the cornerstone of the system is inducing mistakes from the opposition. Second, the nature of finishing is that almost every team thinks they should have finished better. In the same universe where Bournemouth leads 5-1 at halftime today, Leeds might beat Arsenal 4-1 or something.

You want to have your cake and eat it too! If Leeds lose, who cares about the fancy xG stats telling us they're better than they appear? But if Leeds win, they just rode their luck and it's unsustainable.

Heaven knows we all have valid worries about the defense and about Jesse's stubbornness or commitment to the system. But be fair at least.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:08 pm I disagree. It worked extremely well in MLS with RB New York. Jesse turned a club that had never won anything into Conference Champions and Supporter's Shield Winners. (Regular Season Champions). And they had a great run in the CONCACAF Champion's League.

What Jesse did at RBNY is more impressive than what he did in Austria. MLS is a stronger league top to bottom than the Austrian Bundesliga. He also had a kid named Tyler Adams bossing the midfield as a teenager. And a 20 goal scorer named Bradley Wright-Phillips.
Pl 150 W70 D31 L 51.

Won half his games in an even league.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Sockerist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 pm It's magnanimous of you to give Jesse this second chance. He'll be ever so grateful.

I'll tell you another thing that annoys me: this narrative of 'the kids saved Jesse'. The so-called 'kids' (what a condescending term) are part of a team. Teams win games and lose games, and Jesse picked the squad and decided on overall tactics. So Jesse deserves the main credit, as he's the constant factor between two games, both won. And Summerville is 21, Geldhardt is 20, and Gnonto is a full international. Not kids.

Anyway, before the 'kids' came on against Bournemouth, Rodrigo scored, and when Rodrigo had to come off, he threw a Spanish fit - which I'm pleased about, because I want him and Bamford to be hungry again, if that's possible. (If it's not possible or doesn't happen, then they know what's next).

I fancy us against Tottenham. We'll see. All reason and rhyme would suppose that Manchester City will spank our bottoms red raw, but I'm starting to think that we're the 'unknown quantity' this season. My prediction was that we would finish where we are as of now: 12th., or thereabouts. I am sticking to that prediction for now, but if we despatch Tottenham as handily as we played against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, who knows how far we could climb.
I stopped reading after the first two sentences.
Cheeky.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:45 pm Pl 150 W70 D31 L 51.

Won half his games in an even league.
Yes, in a league where 20 wins out of 34 is the standard for Champions. That's how much parity is in MLS.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Clueless Yank wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:44 pm First, literally the cornerstone of the system is inducing mistakes from the opposition. Second, the nature of finishing is that almost every team thinks they should have finished better. In the same universe where Bournemouth leads 5-1 at halftime today, Leeds might beat Arsenal 4-1 or something.

You want to have your cake and eat it too! If Leeds lose, who cares about the fancy xG stats telling us they're better than they appear? But if Leeds win, they just rode their luck and it's unsustainable.

Heaven knows we all have valid worries about the defense and about Jesse's stubbornness or commitment to the system. But be fair at least.
I know how the system works. I knew before this season as I did my research to find out what it is all about.

I offered my view on how the game went, that's what we do here. I Get the feeling you are taking it as some sort of attack? If so are you being a wee bit defensive because of his Nationality? I know many US Leeds fans have a lot invested in him.
'
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sockerist »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:31 pm Tell the truth, what were you honesty thinking in that first half. ?
I was thinking: What a great game, pity we lost that lead, let's hope we can get it back. We clearly dropped and the players heads went down when the booing started, but they picked up again when the supporters got behind them. I wasn't micro-analysing player performances because I personally think that's best done after 90 minutes, if at all. A player can perform badly moment-to-moment but pull something off that changes a game, etc., etc.

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:31 pm system football. Never heard the expression. Perhaps they use it on Tifo.
I was thinking, what's Tifo when it's at home? I see it's a YouTube channel by middle-class student types. It looks quite good, actually, but I've supported this club for 40 years or more. Or is it 30-odd years? Can't remember. I'm too old now. I certainly don't know it all and I will be wrong [some/much/most] of the time, but I don't need you to patronise me.

This phenomenon of supporters over-analysing everything and heaping pressure on managers and players I think is an internet thing. I was around in the 1990s and was an early one online and saw it start. I never liked it then and I'm disgusted with the toxicity of it now. Back then, they were screaming and calling for Wilkinson to be sacked. You'd think he was a serial killer - of children - not just a football manager. Just exactly what has Jesse done to prompt your ire? So far all you've done is told us what happens in pretty much any football match. I genuinely don't get it. We're 12th. in the league, we play good football. What else do you want?

I call it pretentious because, while I know nothing about you and others of the same ilk, it's highly likely that you don't really know even a fraction as you claim about the subject of which you speak. It's just pretentious. The way I see it, a supporter is a supporter.

Anyway, lecture over. I go on about it because it annoys me. It's up to you what you do, not for me to tell you, but having to wade through it all gives me the right to hit back and make the case for the defence.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Others of the same ilk...

Others of the same ilk.

Can you really not stop yourself????
'
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Marsch Out

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Liverpool bought him one more game.

Today probably gives him until January.

I wanted him out at half time.

Hope he continues to add to his credit.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Backed him over and over until we lost against Palace. Would have fired him after the Fulham game. And again at half time today.

He's bought himself quite a few more games after today. Tough run over the next 3. So I'm giving him halfway through January now. I hope he uses it well. I wish completely that Jesse is a success and takes us to the next level.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jesse Marsch post Bournemouth

Most interesting I heard was that he didn't complain much about our defence. His argument was that we need to put more pressure on them going forward.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Clueless Yank wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:44 pm First, literally the cornerstone of the system is inducing mistakes from the opposition. Second, the nature of finishing is that almost every team thinks they should have finished better. In the same universe where Bournemouth leads 5-1 at halftime today, Leeds might beat Arsenal 4-1 or something.

Jesse and the board do :)

They kept Jesse in a job when many managers would have been sacked.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
velo
Manager
Manager

Re: Jesse Marsch post Bournemouth

Post by velo »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 pm Most interesting I heard was that he didn't complain much about our defence. His argument was that we need to put more pressure on them going forward.
Beats me :dun:
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:29 pm Can't do that really Chapel.

To many variables and what ifs.

It's going to be atleast 3 points I'd say at the lower end.
OK thanks. So with better finishing we could be 9th right now minimum - maybe better.

Why do so many want him sacked ?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:56 pm OK thanks. So with better finishing we could be 9th right now minimum - maybe better.

Why do so many want him sacked ?
Possibly but again variables, nobody knows how the opposition would react, they could go on and score 2 or 3 more.

Impossible to predict.

But we could have had a few more points but we could also have had a few less (Wolves).

To many what ifs.

I think a lot of it is the system/style, it isn't always the most attractive, it's a bit rushed and hurrid and the lack of width in attack (for me) is extremely odd.

Also I'd say that his record is concerning, when a manager has failed at his only job in a top league people will be worried.

And sadly I'm sure for some it is likely driven by an attachment to Bielsa.

Many reasons I'm sure.
Signed

King Cjay

Tom_Siffringer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Tom_Siffringer »

Cjay wrote: Possibly but again variables, nobody knows how the opposition would react, they could go on and score 2 or 3 more.

Impossible to predict.

But we could have had a few more points but we could also have had a few less (Wolves).

To many what ifs.

I think a lot of it is the system/style, it isn't always the most attractive, it's a bit rushed and hurrid and the lack of width in attack (for me) is extremely odd.

Also I'd say that his record is concerning, when a manager has failed at his only job in a top league people will be worried.

And sadly I'm sure for some it is likely driven by an attachment to Bielsa.

Many reasons I'm sure.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tom_Siffringer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:01 pm ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Clown is unfair on Jesse.

Need to be more respectful.

Shame on you.
fc-red-bull-salzburg-jesse-marsch.gif
fc-red-bull-salzburg-jesse-marsch.gif (611.59 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:40 pm Backed him over and over until we lost against Palace. Would have fired him after the Fulham game. And again at half time today.

He's bought himself quite a few more games after today. Tough run over the next 3. So I'm giving him halfway through January now. I hope he uses it well. I wish completely that Jesse is a success and takes us to the next level.
I think our views have been pretty closely aligned with regard to Jesse. We defended him against unfair attacks by some here. But also have held him accountable. The shocking win at Liverpool gave him a chance. It looked like he might be facing the axe at halftime today. But just like goals change games...WINS change seasons. Not to mention heart's and minds.

If we can get a winning result at Spurs we would be on 18 points after 14 matches. That would be 1.285 ppg. If that comes to fruition there is no way any reasonable person would call for the sack. Not with the way players are responding. And a transfer window about to open. Only the people that are predisposed to not like him. And there are only a few of those here.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sockerist wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 pm It's magnanimous of you to give Jesse this second chance. He'll be ever so grateful.

I'll tell you another thing that annoys me: this narrative of 'the kids saved Jesse'. The so-called 'kids' (what a condescending term) are part of a team. Teams win games and lose games, and Jesse picked the squad and decided on overall tactics. So Jesse deserves the main credit, as he's the constant factor between two games, both won. And Summerville is 21, Geldhardt is 20, and Gnonto is a full international. Not kids.

Anyway, before the 'kids' came on against Bournemouth, Rodrigo scored, and when Rodrigo had to come off, he threw a Spanish fit - which I'm pleased about, because I want him and Bamford to be hungry again, if that's possible. (If it's not possible or doesn't happen, then they know what's next).

I fancy us against Tottenham. We'll see. All reason and rhyme would suppose that Manchester City will spank our bottoms red raw, but I'm starting to think that we're the 'unknown quantity' this season. My prediction was that we would finish where we are as of now: 12th., or thereabouts. I am sticking to that prediction for now, but if we despatch Tottenham as handily as we played against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, who knows how far we could climb.
What makes you think I am?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Calling it "negativity in the stadium" on MOTD.

Not sure that is sensible.
Signed

King Cjay

CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

And the pundits were also raving about the exciting football that Leeds play too.

Yet listening to most on this forum you would think that we are one of the most boring teams in the PL.

I don't get it - it's like a vendetta against Marsch on here

A major criticism is often ' how narrow we play ' Yet if you use inverted wingers then it becomes narrower anyway - and a certain ex manager was a pioneer of inverted wingers with overlapping FBs.