The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st December) - Kristensen World Cup Horror Show

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st December) - Kristensen World Cup Horror Show

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 1st December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Kristensen World Cup Horror Show

Rasmus Kristensen endured a horrific first 45 minutes against Australia last night, and was dragged off at half-time, as Denmark crashed out of the World Cup at the group stage. With just one point (a 0-0 with Tunisia) out of a possible nine, the Danes have seriously under performed this World Cup, and although Kristensen may have been poor last night, he was superb against France, keeping Mbappé quiet. The Danish media laid into the 25 year old, after his disastrous performance last night...

Nissen was nowhere near his beautiful performance against Kylian Mbappé and France. Where did the energy go? The desire to come first? Devoid of presence, he never found his feet, and Kasper Hjulmand chose to take him out at half-time and replace him with Alexander Bah.

With the surfboard under his arm, he fumbled up and down the flank in search of an Australian who wanted to join him on the beach, but the Aussies were in no way interested in inviting the Dane out on anything other than a desert hike, and that upset Rasmus Nissen.

Should Leeds go three at the back

There's an interesting article, in the Athletic yesterday, asking whether Jesse Marsch is getting the most out of Rasmus Kristensen? Apart from yesterday's horror show, the Leeds No 2 has had a good World Cup, creating many problems for his opponents when bombing forward. Problems occur on the counter-attack, when he gets caught too far up the pitch, and doesn't have the pace to get back in time.

Fortunately for the Danes, they play three at the back, allowing a stronger last line of defence. Hay asks whether Marsch’s side are well-enough equiped to allow Kristensen the freedom to go forward, knowing Leeds last line of defence has been known on occasion to fluff their lines.

One of the main criticisms aimed at Jesse Marsch, is his narrow formation. Would a back three suit Leeds better? Would it give Leeds more width, and allow the full backs the luxury of linking up with the wingers? Do Leeds have three trustworthy centre backs though? If Leeds were to go three at the back, would it spell the end of the double pivot (Adams and Roca)? Perhaps Adams can assume more a Kalvin Phillips role when he was at Elland Road? According to Phil Hay...

In top form, the 25 year old is a mobile full-back who, despite not having lightning pace, likes to push on and make his presence felt in the opposition’s half. Marsch wants that attacking ambition from him too but in his earliest appearances for Leeds, Kristensen looked constrained and reluctant to bomb on, unable to offer the penetration down the right that Salzburg regularly counted on.

It is only recently that he has emerged from his shell and even then, questions remained about whether Marsch’s side are well-enough structured to give Kristensen the freedom to go forward. Defensively, that freedom comes at a cost. His two outings for Denmark in Qatar so far, against Tunisia and France, have shown how much attacking licence his country are willing to give him.

As a starting point, there is one basic reason behind the lack of shackles on him. The Danes play three at the back, in contrast to Leeds’ 4-2-3-1, and the extra cover provided by their wider centre-backs eases the defensive responsibility on Kristensen.

Should Leeds sell Harrison

With just over 18 months left on his contract, Leeds have some difficult decisions to make regarding Jack Harrison. On his day, the former Citeh ace is as good as anyone in the top flight, yet lately his performances have been described as below-par and erratic.

One wonders whether he has had his head turned, after interest from Newcastle Utd during the Summer. Media sources have suggested that Leeds are ready to offer the 26 year old a new lucrative deal that will double his salary over-night; but with no update in sight, perhaps Harrison is looking to move on!

It has been suggested that Newcastle were ready to offer £35m only four months ago. If they come back with a similar offer in January, should Leeds take it? If Summerville is ready for regular first team football, it gives Jesse Marsch a very capable right-winger, allowing Sinisterra to adopt his favoured left wing position as an inverted winger.

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st December) - Kristensen World Cup Horror Show

Post by lufc1304 »

For better or worse, Marsch isn't going to change his system, so big Rasmus will continue to play as a full back and not a wing back. There's merit in the suggestion, but I just don't see it happening.

The Harrison situation is a tricky one. On his day, he's a proper handful but there's no denying he's inconsistent and frustrating. And we all know Marsch plays without width so, if the right money was offered, I can see him being sold. Might depend, to an extent, on just how serious the Sinisterra injury is.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st December) - Kristensen World Cup Horror Show

Post by Ellandback1 »

Whatever formation we play, a massive responsibility falls on our full backs to deliver, and with our centre halves being weak, it doesn't allow our wide men to bomb forward knowing they're susceptible on the counter.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

So, Rasmus had one poor game out of three at the World Cup and the Danish Media are crucifying him best not let him return to Leeds then :duno: I only saw highlights of the game as was watching Poland not take part against the Argies, but from what I saw the entire Danish Team never showed up.

I can see the reasoning with playing 3 at the back and it would be worth a try perhaps in the friendlies but can't see Marsch changing his formation.

Jackie oh Jackie what shall we do with you? For 3 or 4 games you are a World beater then we don't see you for 6, you'll then be amazing but nothing for 3. At the start of the season, you were on fire down the left playing out wide, then the rumours started about the Kingdom of Newarabia and Marsch moved you to the right and you go off the boil - Should we sell, or should we play now?
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:33 am For better or worse, Marsch isn't going to change his system, so big Rasmus will continue to play as a full back and not a wing back. There's merit in the suggestion, but I just don't see it happening.

The Harrison situation is a tricky one. On his day, he's a proper handful but there's no denying he's inconsistent and frustrating. And we all know Marsch plays without width so, if the right money was offered, I can see him being sold. Might depend, to an extent, on just how serious the Sinisterra injury is.
Harrison's days do seem quite rare at the moment , he has talent in abundance but it rarely shows , certainly not on a consistent basis. I would rather someone with 85% of his talent but who performs every time at a high level in the side than someone who you don't know how they are going to perform .On the flanks Summerville has earned his place and Sinisterra has ability .
Haven't seen Kristenson in World Cup as I haven't really watched the world cup do far on a regular basis , hasn't been all that thrilling from the bits I have seen.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
As with all United players involved in the WC, I watch them intensely, RK has done OK in all the games, even last night, he was only taken off for a system change as I saw it, his replacement did no better.
At Leeds, it's the system ,we all know that, same as the left side, I've often thought of keeping either TA or MR further back ready to sweep up when the fullbacks are bombing forward, but thats me, not JM.
JH, yes, flog him, then sell him, he's a talent when it suits, a luxury but a waste of a player, get rid for me asap, even before LS comes back, that position can be filled with either SG or JG , harrison is robbing us all.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Double Harrison's salary?! Good to see the club have learned their lessons from giving Bamfraud 5 years £75k a week. That would put Harrison on about £120k a week! :shock:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

rasmus has been poor for leeds for weeks defensively and offers nowhere near the same threat going forward as Ayling
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Clacton White wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 am Harrison's days do seem quite rare at the moment , he has talent in abundance but it rarely shows , certainly not on a consistent basis. I would rather someone with 85% of his talent but who performs every time at a high level in the side than someone who you don't know how they are going to perform .On the flanks Summerville has earned his place and Sinisterra has ability .
Haven't seen Kristenson in World Cup as I haven't really watched the world cup do far on a regular basis , hasn't been all that thrilling from the bits I have seen.
Agree with all that, Harrison is a bit of an enigma. Though I suppose it's fair to say most wingers are.

WC has been, in the main, pretty dull. I'll probably pay more attention once it gets to the sharp end.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:32 am
Great news :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Pascal ought to be rewarded, it was obvious long ago he had what we needed, far too long we persist with certain individuals hoping they'll come good and don't.
Chuffed for PS who has been one of our most consistent players, reward this type of player, not the has-beens / never will bee
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:58 am Pascal ought to be rewarded, it was obvious long ago he had what we needed, far too long we persist with certain individuals hoping they'll come good and don't.
Chuffed for PS who has been one of our most consistent players, reward this type of player, not the has-beens / never will bee
:tup:
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:59 am Morning all.
As with all United players involved in the WC, I watch them intensely, RK has done OK in all the games, even last night, he was only taken off for a system change as I saw it, his replacement did no better.
At Leeds, it's the system ,we all know that, same as the left side, I've often thought of keeping either TA or MR further back ready to sweep up when the fullbacks are bombing forward, but thats me, not JM.
JH, yes, flog him, then sell him, he's a talent when it suits, a luxury but a waste of a player, get rid for me asap, even before LS comes back, that position can be filled with either SG or JG , harrison is robbing us all.
Agree with you MC. I thought RK had a reasonably good game ,probably one of Denmarks better players .His replacement Bah was pretty bad in comparison. As a team though, they were awful.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t think any Danish player shone yesterday and I don’t think Rasmus was any worse than the rest, however, that isn’t saying much. I don’t know why he, in particular, is being scapegoated by the Danish press there were plenty of others to choose from. He is doing ok at Leeds but at this moment in time he is no better than (perhaps not even as good) as Bill.

Should Harrison be sold? I just don’t know! He is a very good, if inconsistent, performer and on his day can be great. I don’t think Marsch’s system suits him but if the system (or Manager) were to change or be adapted… It will probably depend on what fee is tendered, anything north of £30m would be tempting I suppose.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Denmark ought to be slating Erickson and the likes, the bigger names and bigger earners, not RK.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Kristensen World Cup Horror Show.

Did he decapitate someone? He's done very well of late for Leeds but the jury is still out for me. Although its becoming the most difficult position to play in the modern game. They can't win.. Not good enough going forward and often get caught of position because of it.

Should Leeds go three at the back.

Would love to see a 3-5-2. We could really press teams high up the pitch. I just don't see it working with the players we have currently.

Should Leeds sell Harrison.

If we get a bid like the last rumoured one then yes. Harrison seems to be playing himself out of a move at the moment... i'm not cynical enough to think a deals been agreed in principle and its got to him mentally and affecting his form.

Great news on Pascal looking forward to him moving back into the middle.