Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
Meslier, Illan · 2019–2026
Meslier, Illan
France Meslier, Illan
Goalkeeper
b. 2nd March 2000 (age 26)
215
Apps
0
Goals
215
Starts
0
Sub Apps
FC Lorient
Signed 08/08/2019 – 30/06/2026
FC Lorient → Arsenal (Loan to Permanent)
Last 6 Appearances
29 Mar 2025 · Championship
2–2 D
15 Mar 2025 · Championship
2–2 D
12 Mar 2025 · Championship
2–0 W
9 Mar 2025 · Championship
0–1 L
1 Mar 2025 · Championship
1–1 D
24 Feb 2025 · Championship
3–1 W OG
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by BradWhite »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:04 pm Depends, a bad injury or loss of form could see value tumble then there’s what we could do with the money
That applies to any decent young rising talent.
We are a business too, why should we flog off our assets, usually under the value to make our rivals even stronger.
He WILL be the best in the EPL that I am sure of, keep him.
We seem to be there for the picking and where does it get us?
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

It does, that’s why you balance the pros and cons

I’m pragmatic when it comes to Leeds, I know everyone is capable of good and bad games. I know the FO is giving their best shot and I know the coaching side are trying to implement their scheme go good or ill. We don’t get weaker with Robles between the sticks but we could get much stronger if Meslier buys us a 25 goal striker

Not saying we should sell, I wouldn’t, but it’s not my decision to make
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by BradWhite »

Without Meslier we'd be bottom of the league, looking at another relegation battle, we still might with our leaky defence.
I guess he has a say in his own future, I'd like to keep him so that we can build a competing squad and not just hovering one above the drop zone, we are a 1 city club and we should be better than this.
We need to keep our best players.

Surely the money from Raphinha and Phillips would have got us a class no 9?
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:48 pm Without Meslier we'd be bottom of the league, looking at another relegation battle, we still might with our leaky defence.
I guess he has a say in his own future, I'd like to keep him so that we can build a competing squad and not just hovering one above the drop zone, we are a 1 city club and we should be better than this.
We need to keep our best players.

Surely the money from Raphinha and Phillips would have got us a class no 9?
Maybe maybe not, Meslier has had a couple of howler games. Plus I think Robles is very decent and keepers are a confidence thing.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Lufcheidi
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by Lufcheidi »

1964white wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:10 am We need to build our team around our best players, not flog them to the highest bidder or in our case the first & lowest bid that is offered as was the case with Pontus, Kalvin & Raphinha.

We are so quick to get rid of our best players, you couldn't write it.

Alioski, Berardi & Pablo were out of the door far too early imo, we should have offered Pablo a coaching role!
Absolutely. To build our team meant keeping hold of good players and having that squad depth. Once those injuries kicked in under Bielsa, having a small squad impacted on our downfall. Seeing Klich has now gone too and we already have been suffering injuries, I am very worried about another small squad and where we are heading.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155262
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by 1964white »

Lufcheidi wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:47 am Absolutely. To build our team meant keeping hold of good players and having that squad depth. Once those injuries kicked in under Bielsa, having a small squad impacted on our downfall. Seeing Klich has now gone too and we already have been suffering injuries, I am very worried about another small squad and where we are heading.
Another hole in our squad which probably won't be repaired, our tight-fisted board is oblivious to the gaping holes within our squad. It's going to be a long old season with the squad as it stands now.

I walked out of ER with a friend who was a member on here a few years ago, we were both thoroughly fed up.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:32 am I walked out of ER with a friend who was a member on here a few years ago, we were both thoroughly fed up.
It's a strange world. The Marsch supporters seem very disappointed with the performance last night whereas those of us who aren't fans of the manager actually seemed reasonably pleased with a lot of elements of the performance (even though we should have got 3 points against a very poor West Ham side).
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23132
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:24 pm Maybe maybe not, Meslier has had a couple of howler games. Plus I think Robles is very decent and keepers are a confidence thing.
I certainly wouldn't say no to £50m if we were offered it. Still not massively convinced, most of his "great" saves are pretty routine stuff.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155262
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:15 am I certainly wouldn't say no to £50m if we were offered it. Still not massively convinced, most of his "great" saves are pretty routine stuff.
So, if Meslier is not that good, why would any club offer £40m/£50m for him?
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:12 pm So, if Meslier is not that good, why would any club offer £40m/£50m for him?
For me he has shown huge improvements this season (cue a howler in his next match). Beginning to realise some of the potential he had.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:04 pm Depends, a bad injury or loss of form could see value tumble then there’s what we could do with the money
You can make this argument about any player. You don’t sell your best assets on this basis. Similarly you can adopt the stance of holding onto players as they suddenly become world class.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by DDB220 »

In the hope*
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: ↑Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:41 pm It does, that’s why you balance the pros and cons

I’m pragmatic when it comes to Leeds, I know everyone is capable of good and bad games. I know the FO is giving their best shot and I know the coaching side are trying to implement their scheme go good or ill. We don’t get weaker with Robles between the sticks but we could get much stronger if Meslier buys us a 25 goal striker

Not saying we should sell, I wouldn’t, but it’s not my decision to make
Buy a 25 goal striker ?? You are talking WC talent WTF at that level would come to a club that sells its best players. The only 25 goal a season striker we will see in the next 10 years minimum is by developing a special talent.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7073
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by DDB220 »

Truly astonished that some people do not rate Meslier as a special talent. All keepers make mistakes - as do all out field players. It is called human error which is an inescapable trait everyone has.

Robles is nowhere near the same level. If he was he wouldn’t be a journey man. 3/4 cameo friendly appearances for us and he is suddenly a great keeper.

The bids for Meslier will be in the summer. It will be a real test of our ambition to fight off interest and convince him his immediate future is at Leeds.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by mentalcase »

I think IM would be plain daft to go elsewhere for a while yet, he's No1 at a PL club, he's very well thought of, he won't get in as 1st choice at any other top7 PL team, only a move abroad may get him 1st team football and CL football, neither will get him National status, he's way too far down the pecking order.
All in all, he's better off where he is imho.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:52 pm Buy a 25 goal striker ?? You are talking WC talent WTF at that level would come to a club that sells its best players. The only 25 goal a season striker we will see in the next 10 years minimum is by developing a special talent.
So don't buy anyone except kids? ..I've already posted frequently I'm good with that... Rodrigo is on course for 20-25, didn't go to the world cup ..Berenton could score 20 plus in the prem, that other one from Coventry... I have absolutely no problem selling to buy...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

This is all hypothetical at the moment anyway
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:35 pm So don't buy anyone except kids? ..I've already posted frequently I'm good with that...
I think what we have probably got wrong so far is we have bought too young - or the managers haven't trusted the young players enough to throw them in. I think we have treid to change that narrative by spending a bit more on players that we thought were nearer to being ready for first team football, Perkins, Gyabi and Gnonto as an example.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79056
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:05 pm I think what we have probably got wrong so far is we have bought too young - or the managers haven't trusted the young players enough to throw them in. I think we have treid to change that narrative by spending a bit more on players that we thought were nearer to being ready for first team football, Perkins, Gyabi and Gnonto as an example.
I think it was a 5 yr plan to get promotion from day one so the kids bought in the first couple of years were with a view to possible sales in the championship our get promoted to the first team in the championship... We kinda broke that plan with an early ascension. Since then we've added premier quality 21's and it's not surprising they're nearly first team ready...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155262
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:46 pm For me he has shown huge improvements this season (cue a howler in his next match). Beginning to realise some of the potential he had.
Our fans forget Illan is only 22yo, still very young for a keeper, especially at PL level.

I have noticed his improvement this season.

Like Rodrigo, another Marsch success.
Post Reply