Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:01 pm Obsession is not good thing.
I would suggest it is. It is one of my favourite aftershaves :)
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Fabulous football under Bielsa, but better than Revie or even O'leary not imo.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:28 pm Fabulous football under Bielsa, but better than Revie or even O'leary not imo.
Better than under O'Leary although that was great to watch. I would say O'Leary was more akin to Marsch than Bielsa in the way we played as it was all 100mph stuff. Hard to compare to the Revie era as football has moved on plus I was too young to see it.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:33 pm Better than under O'Leary although that was great to watch. I would say O'Leary was more akin to Marsch than Bielsa in the way we played as it was all 100mph stuff. Hard to compare to the Revie era as football has moved on plus I was too young to see it.

Watched that Liverpool 4-3 game a few times recently, amazing how different football was back then. Far less tactically aware, just hell for leather, end to end football.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Let's be honest the intensity football is now played at wouldn't have been possible in either era. Remember the 70,'s 1 sub and no sub goalkeeper. What were we at in 2000 2 subs ?
5 now it's like frigging rugby 🤣 . Note I say intensity not physicality.
Last edited by Mick Jones shoulder on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:33 pm Better than under O'Leary although that was great to watch. I would say O'Leary was more akin to Marsch than Bielsa in the way we played as it was all 100mph stuff. Hard to compare to the Revie era as football has moved on plus I was too young to see it.
Very unfair to compare it to Marsch.

That O'Leary side always had a very solid defence and scored plenty of goals.

They were great to watch and the most complete side we have had in decades.

Would run rings around Marsch and Bielsa.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Obviously decent, managed a champions league semi.....
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:03 pm Very unfair to compare it to Marsch.

That O'Leary side always had a very solid defence and scored plenty of goals.

They were great to watch and the most complete side we have had in decades.

Would run rings around Marsch and Bielsa.
I meant more in the speed at which it is played. The O'Leary team wasn't one for controlling possession but attacking at speed. Like you say a solid defence too. The Bielsa side was possession based (with the ability to strike at speed too). I do think that when O'Leary appointed Brian Kidd his idea was to turn us into more of a possession based team that could control possession.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:44 pm Watched that Liverpool 4-3 game a few times recently, amazing how different football was back then. Far less tactically aware, just hell for leather, end to end football.
Definitely more about 11 players on the pitch and they knew what their roles were and stuck to them rather than the fluid interchange and everyone moving like a chess match.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:01 pm Obsession is not good thing.
Says he, as he sits quietly obsessed with moi.

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Marcelo Bielsa.

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:34 am 1964 - The rule of thumb with Kenny is to try and simplify your question.
Yep, and there's every chance he'll still ignore it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Tyzy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:01 pm I saw Kenny in the crowd today waving a Bielsa flag
I didn't go, i couldn't get a ticket ?

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:20 pm There is no need to defend, Marcelo, we all know what he gave us. :tup:
No you do not, you wanted him gone, so it's impossible for you to know what he was giving us.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:58 pm I have always appreciated his time with us. But it is still all about perspective, it would be boring if everyone agreed all the time. Kenny, keeps imagining what it would be like if he was still here…..relentlessly. Imaginary conversations etc etc. it was funny for about his first 1000 posts , but another 3.5k later it shows no sign of abating.
I am aware I could block his posts but I live in hope he will move on.
Dream on.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:44 pm Watched that Liverpool 4-3 game a few times recently, amazing how different football was back then. Far less tactically aware, just hell for leather, end to end football.
Berts first game in the Prem to Liverpool 4-3 is worth a few re runs as well, quite good to compare both those games, and the 'football' played

;@)
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Football/Futbol/Soccer
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 am
Sign as many USA players as we possibly can :clapp: :shirtw: :clapp: :clapp: :shirtw: supcla:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 am Sign as many USA players as we possibly can :clapp: :shirtw: :clapp: :clapp: :shirtw: supcla:
Could you imagine that, being trained by Bielsa for the national team then having to go back to your club and train under JM? You could imagine the players all cryng their eyes out imploring Marcelo not to send them back.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1 Screenshot 2023-01-31 170802.png
2 Screenshot 2023-01-31 170850.png
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

3 Screenshot 2023-01-31 170915.png
4 Screenshot 2023-01-31 170944.png
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa