Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jesse Marsch-How long to turn it around?

Post by 1964white »

Lose at Forest & Jesse could be gone.

I'll be disappointed with a draw, we should be winning this game.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

What did we say at the beginning of the season re 9th ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Away to Forest and away to Manure, you're probably looking at a point based on form.. Manure at home, a small chance at a point... He would need 6 points from the next two games
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BreakingTheDuck
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by BreakingTheDuck »

You can bend this any way you like, but I think the board is looking at performance rather than results.

Since the WC break, we were the worse team vs Man City and Newcastle, the better team vs West Ham, Aston Villa, and Brentford. Also the better team vs Cardiff x2 and Accrington.

Also Leeds is going net transfer spend positive with him for the first time this window. They are going to give him time to show what he can do with his new "weapons". As long as he has the locker room behind him and keeps his performances up, they aren't going to sack him anytime soon, and by that point it will be the 49ers decision in the summer.

If you have a different idea, you can get 8/1 odds at the bookies for Marsch being sacked next.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:Personally think 4 points minimum from Forest and Scum×2.

Don't beat Forest and he should be sacked immediately and let a new manager have Manure as a bit of a free hit.

I don't think beating Forest should give him a free pass either.

Beats Forest but then gets beaten by Manure twice and we give him crucial games against Everton and Southampton?

Since we have dipped below 1ppg he needs to get above that and the only way that happens is if he takes 4 from our next 3 games.

And even giving him Southampton and Everton based on that is extremely generous as he would still at best be on 3 wins in 17 Premier league games.

Jesse has been here nearly a year, I don't see progress, I don't see a convincing style of play, I don't see a clear indication of things getting better.

Beating Cardiff reserves and Accrington Stanley and a draw against Brentford shouldn't give him much leeway imo.

He has had a phenomenal amount of good will from Radz and Laurel and Hardy who would see having to sack Jesse as an admission there fragile egos loathe to make.

Forest win and then we will see.
You can't invest in the January window and then only give JM 1 game. If we get hammered in the next 3 games then the board has some decisions to make. If by the end of February we've only put a couple more points on the board then I personally would replace him but whether this board are thinking that way I'm not so sure. Maybe by then the 49's will totally buy us up and make a total clear out of the management, Orta etc etc and get their own guys in hoping there's sufficient time to turn things around.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

No win at Forest and needs to go ,he's had long enough imo
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 pm You can't invest in the January window and then only give JM 1 game. If we get hammered in the next 3 games then the board has some decisions to make. If by the end of February we've only put a couple more points on the board then I personally would replace him but whether this board are thinking that way I'm not so sure. Maybe by then the 49's will totally buy us up and make a total clear out of the management, Orta etc etc and get their own guys in hoping there's sufficient time to turn things around.

I agree - there's so much nonsense being written on here by people who are fundamentally biased against Marsch, and see everything in a totally non-objective and biased way. One example being gripes about ' being unconvincing ' against minions such as AS and Cardiff, whilst conveniently forgetting about wins against Liverpool and Chelsea in the PL this season. I really hope we can go back to 'convincing performances ' from the very recent past such as losing 6-0 to Liverpool...

And one thing that nobody mentions is why would the club squander to much money in paying off the rest of Marsch's contract ? At least with Bielsa there was only a few months of his contract to pay due to his insistence on only signing for a maximum of one season at a time. And Orta has his reputation on the line if Marsch ends up failing at Leeds.

Generally speaking, recent performances have been quite encouraging - and Wober may well have shored up that brittle defence. And with Bamford back fit and playing well, together with the recent signings, things may turn round quickly. I suspect that we will leak far fewer goals from now until the end of the season, as long as Firpo and Kristensen don't screw things with their poor positional awareness. Hopefully Ayling is the first choice RB from now on.

Anyway, it looks like it will be 4-3-3 from now. Let's see how this works out.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

BGwhite wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 pm You can't invest in the January window and then only give JM 1 game. If we get hammered in the next 3 games then the board has some decisions to make. If by the end of February we've only put a couple more points on the board then I personally would replace him but whether this board are thinking that way I'm not so sure. Maybe by then the 49's will totally buy us up and make a total clear out of the management, Orta etc etc and get their own guys in hoping there's sufficient time to turn things around.

I would say Rutter was a signing with one eye on the future and one on the now so probably to some extent wouldn't really be an indication of backing the manager or not backing the manager.

You also have the Everton situation where they didn't sign anyone and it was only in the last day or two that they went after signings with a manager in place. As such I think the club needed to strengthen regardless of whether they have unconditional faith in Marsch or have drawn up a shortlist to potentially replace him. Not investing in any players and then sacking Marsch wouldn't make sense either. Better to sign the players we did and have them available for Marsch or another manager than not to sign them.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I don’t think he will get sacked unless we are getting beaten badly in the next few games, I am simply saying I would lose a lot of confidence in him personally if we lose at Forest.
What the board do is a separate issue entirely. I doubt they will take action until the fans turn in vast numbers.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Lets see where we re at the end of Feb.
Forest and the 2 Scum games might well bring 0 points, but to change manager before Everton and saints games (and FA Cup game )
would verge on suicidal actions for me..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Madron wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:39 pm Lets see where we re at the end of Feb.
Forest and the 2 Scum games might well bring 0 points, but to change manager before Everton and saints games (and FA Cup game )
would verge on suicidal actions for me..
If we took 0 points from the next 3 matches would you really say that having Marsch in charge would make us more likely to win against Everton and Saints than not having him in charge, even if we sacked him and had nobody in charge?

Hopefully we have 9 points from those 3 matches and we have seen that the system can work, it just needed a couple more players, and that Marsch is actually a genius.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He hasn't earned more time.

I understand your point about January but say we give him until end of February and he has 4 points from 5 games which is about what he has now.

Now it's 22 points from 24 games

We have 14 games left including Chelsea, Brentford, Arsenal, Newcastle, Fulham, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs.

It's asking a lot of a new manager to get the points from there.

You run the risk of pushing the loyalty to Marsch to far and leaving a new manager a really difficult situation and a potential new manager may look at that and think "yeah that's really difficult it's not for me".

And then you limit yourself with decent manager not wanting to take the risk

The earlier Marsch goes the better chance we have of getting a decent long term appointment.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BreakingTheDuck wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:27 pm You can bend this any way you like, but I think the board is looking at performance rather than results.

Since the WC break, we were the worse team vs Man City and Newcastle, the better team vs West Ham, Aston Villa, and Brentford. Also the better team vs Cardiff x2 and Accrington.

Also Leeds is going net transfer spend positive with him for the first time this window. They are going to give him time to show what he can do with his new "weapons". As long as he has the locker room behind him and keeps his performances up, they aren't going to sack him anytime soon, and by that point it will be the 49ers decision in the summer.

If you have a different idea, you can get 8/1 odds at the bookies for Marsch being sacked next.
Our board ! Let me educate you a little Duck, Our fcking board don't know their arse from their elbow re anything at all to do with football, you could write it all on the back of a stamp twice.

They have been winging it since the first day the happy couple got engaged, and then the threesome got married and have been kicking cans down the road since, Radz has done well business wise thanks to the one and only, who also bailed out Pinky and Perky, long story.

I think your analysis of the games is correct and it's what has given me renewed hope, along with this transfer window, which i feel is the best we've seen for a long long time, which in itself is quite remarkable seeing as it's the January one.

Wober shows early signs he might be a gudun, timing looks good and early signs of a solid game and cool head.

Mckennie i think i'm gonna like, seems to have an infectious character about him and that's good for the dressing room etc, looks like a 100% team player that won't be caught hiding anywhere and he'll have an hunger to perform in the Prem.

I think the same goes for Rooter, he's gonna put himself about, looks nimble and skilful to boot, got a good feeling about him and PB, he'll also want to get himself in the shop window and look to attract the bigger clubs.

I don't think Jesse is gonna get the sack now coz of these (sorry Sara) and if he does get sacked he'll proper well deserve it if he can't make his franticball work now and we stay around the arse end of the league.

Sunday 2pm - High Noon.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:00 pm If we took 0 points from the next 3 matches would you really say that having Marsch in charge would make us more likely to win against Everton and Saints than not having him in charge, even if we sacked him and had nobody in charge?

Hopefully we have 9 points from those 3 matches and we have seen that the system can work, it just needed a couple more players, and that Marsch is actually a genius.
All depends how we perform in those 3 games more than points. I'm not expecting many points from the 2 Scum games (1 pt would be a bonus) but if we can put in competitive performances against them it could set us up well for the Everton/ Saints games. We would put those games in jeopardy if JM wasn't at the helm just because he lost.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:53 pm I agree - there's so much nonsense being written on here by people who are fundamentally biased against Marsch, and see everything in a totally non-objective and biased way. One example being gripes about ' being unconvincing ' against minions such as AS and Cardiff, whilst conveniently forgetting about wins against Liverpool and Chelsea in the PL this season. I really hope we can go back to 'convincing performances ' from the very recent past such as losing 6-0 to Liverpool...

And one thing that nobody mentions is why would the club squander to much money in paying off the rest of Marsch's contract ? At least with Bielsa there was only a few months of his contract to pay due to his insistence on only signing for a maximum of one season at a time. And Orta has his reputation on the line if Marsch ends up failing at Leeds.

Generally speaking, recent performances have been quite encouraging - and Wober may well have shored up that brittle defence. And with Bamford back fit and playing well, together with the recent signings, things may turn round quickly. I suspect that we will leak far fewer goals from now until the end of the season, as long as Firpo and Kristensen don't screw things with their poor positional awareness. Hopefully Ayling is the first choice RB from now on.

Anyway, it looks like it will be 4-3-3 from now. Let's see how this works out.
Orta and Co are the only reason he hasn't been sacked, they can't afford for him to fail and likely Radz doesnt want to pay him off

Managers have been sacked for far better records, that's a fact.

What has Marsch done to earn more time? Nothing.

He still says the players aren't used to his tactics . . . .

Wins against Liverpool and Chelsea are nice and a bonus.

But our bread and butter is taking points off those around us outside the so called top 6.

We haven't beaten

Villa×2, West Ham, Palace, Everton, Brentford, Brighton, Southampton.

As I said above if we push the loyalty to Marsch to far then come the time we sack him decent managers won't want the job.

That has to be factored in.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

Madron wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:13 pm All depends how we perform in those 3 games more than points. I'm not expecting many points from the 2 Scum games (1 pt would be a bonus) but if we can put in competitive performances against them it could set us up well for the Everton/ Saints games. We would put those games in jeopardy if JM wasn't at the helm just because he lost.
Agreed 👍
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Ideal scenario for me -

The club already have someone lined up, hopefully that geezer from Real Washyersocks or whoever they are, that guy that looks like he wants to play football.

Jesse gets us comfortably up the table to 12th ish whilst we're all left still wondering how the fck he's done it but he has, but we don't have a scoobie how.

The 'board sack him anyway.

Oh! And our clown has been poached by Scum and i'm allowed to drive him there.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Madron wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:13 pm All depends how we perform in those 3 games more than points. I'm not expecting many points from the 2 Scum games (1 pt would be a bonus) but if we can put in competitive performances against them it could set us up well for the Everton/ Saints games. We would put those games in jeopardy if JM wasn't at the helm just because he lost.
Bloody hell Ron, 1pt from Scum ? They've just lost Eriksen and are playing Weghorst up front, they're nothing special atm, i think we'll win one of them and hopefully draw the other.

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In some ways if the performances in the next 3 games are good but we take 0 points it is almost worse as it may simply be confirmation that the tactics don't work as it would likely mean that we have done well without creating great opportunities and then been cut open. I think we have seen that in a lot of games where we have played well for parts but the opposition have created the clear chances and taken the points - the City match saw us play reasonably well first half, rode our luck a bit, but then the first time we committed men forward in the swarm style we lost the ball and got ripped open for the first goal.

It may seem a bit 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' and how can Jesse possibly succeed if that is how he is being judged but what we really need is points and a convincing performance where we create good chances, get a couple of goals and look solid at the back and keep a clean sheet. Sort of like the last 70 against Chelsaa, the opening 20 minutes of the second half v Southampton rather than every match us looking good in parts and sh*t in others.

It's nearly 1 year in and I still haven't seen 1 90 minute performance that has convinced me (the last 70 v Chelsea being the closest).
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would take a convincing performance and 3 points against Forest as a good sign even if we lost both games to MU.