Alexi Lalas vs Leeds fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Alexi Lalas vs Leeds fans

Post by Sara »

King Hennessy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:06 pm I honestly feel like he's being paid by the 🇺🇲🇺🇲federation to spew MLS propaganda. I don't think genuine American football fans listen or care about anything he has to say. If it were up to him our national team would always be a team full of MLS guys coached by a random MLS coach. He's not a fan of American players going abroad to develop. At least that's my take on the goof ball.
It seems a weird take, from a non US viewpoint, anyway. It seems to deliberately feed the trope that Americans can't just fit in, they have to take over.
theBlingGoblin
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by theBlingGoblin »

SaraM wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:03 pm It seems a weird take, from a non US viewpoint, anyway. It seems to deliberately feed the trope that Americans can't just fit in, they have to take over.
Along those lines, where do we go to make suggestions?

I was thinking... changing the team colors to red/white/blue.
Leeds United -> United States Leeders?
NFL-style cheerleaders? (to be honest, I went to a Ferencvaros match once in Budapest and they had exactly that - they were very scantily clad and it was actually a little creepy)

8-)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

theBlingGoblin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 pm Along those lines, where do we go to make suggestions?

I was thinking... changing the team colors to red/white/blue.
Leeds United -> United States Leeders?
NFL-style cheerleaders? (to be honest, I went to a Ferencvaros match once in Budapest and they had exactly that - they were very scantily clad and it was actually a little creepy)

8-)
Surely the way is not to make suggestions, but to take over financially and impose whatever you want.

If we don't like it, it's only because we're anti-American losers, overly tied to our inbred traditions, and unable to appreciate the value of the American market.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Eric Wynalda, a former USMNT international, has not shied away from telling the now-Leeds man why Arsenal was the club for him. “Is this the best move for Weston McKennie?” said Wynalda in the Action Network’s Wondergoal Podcast.

“The answer is probably no. Juventus are trying to get a couple of the players to walk the plank and get some money out of them due to their current situation. Arsenal and Villa would have been good destinations

Once you say moving to Arsenal and Villa is the same sort of move you lose all credibility.

Idiot
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
GoldenisThyFame
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by GoldenisThyFame »

I have no way to prove this without looking at the raw data but I imagine a percentage of fans picked up from the American contingent on Leeds will make the investment well worth it. You bring soccer lovers like myself to the table that may not have a dedicated team in the premier league and it allows for roots to be planted. Soccer is growing in America and will continue as the Latino population has an a larger share of the population. It is a really smart investment.

The types of signings that have happened has made me look into Leeds and learn more about their history. It is a great tool for expansion of the fanbase. I am excited to watch Weston play and hope he is a key difference maker that can get Leeds in the top half (Top 12?) of the table.

Lalas is just trolling for clicks.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 pm Eric Wynalda, a former USMNT international, has not shied away from telling the now-Leeds man why Arsenal was the club for him. “Is this the best move for Weston McKennie?” said Wynalda in the Action Network’s Wondergoal Podcast.

“The answer is probably no. Juventus are trying to get a couple of the players to walk the plank and get some money out of them due to their current situation. Arsenal and Villa would have been good destinations

Once you say moving to Arsenal and Villa is the same sort of move you lose all credibility.

Idiot
Trust me, Eric Wynalda is an even bigger Douchebag than Lalas. He never had any credibility to begin with.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

People like Lalas and Wynalda are exactly what the tv companies, media and so on love to have around. They are deliberately controversial and that's why they are put on these tv shows or get to air their views on the radio and have columns in the papers.
We have plenty of our own on this side of the pond.
People over here like Agbonlahor or Simon Jordan are the sort of people that like to wind others up as it gets them attention.
Jay - Dizi
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Jay - Dizi »

Wynalda I actually agree with from time to time and he's had some brief success in coaching (especially developing players iirc). He's far too opinionated to keep a job within USSF but, for better or worse, I think he actually believes the stuff he says.

Lalas is more annoying cause it's pretty clear his persona is an act. As a player he seemed pretty affable but once his playing career ended and he failed to show promise as a club executive, he deliberately transformed into the most controversial pundit covering the sport in America. I mostly ignore him and his podcast cause they rarely have any serious insights worth listening to...

That said, I'm baffled by the response to his bit last week ("Wes McKennie is better than Leeds"). It's fine to have pride in your club and Lalas' personality can be quite abrasive but...his comment wasn't an insult, it's reality.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jay - Dizi wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:13 pm
That said, I'm baffled by the response to his bit last week ("Wes McKennie is better than Leeds"). It's fine to have pride in your club and Lalas' personality can be quite abrasive but...his comment wasn't an insult, it's reality.
Not a reality at all, McKennie has to prove himself here. If he does well, then the club does well too. No player is bigger or better than the club, that's just American arrogance showing through. If that's McKennie's attitude, he's not going to fit with the Side Before Self ethos.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jay - Dizi wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:13 pm ..
Based on what?
Signed

King Cjay

Jay - Dizi
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Jay - Dizi »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 pm Not a reality at all, McKennie has to prove himself here. If he does well, then the club does well too. No player is bigger or better than the club, that's just American arrogance showing through. If that's McKennie's attitude, he's not going to fit with the Side Before Self ethos.
I understand McK has to prove his worth & humbly integrate in the side and I'm ecstatic he was smart enough to join Leeds. It's a great club obviously!

I just don't think it's a sign of arrogance to say that Juventus and Leeds are viewed differently around the globe. No doubt, Leeds have a great reputation and history. It's also worth noting that Juventus are a shadow of themselves right now and not nearly as dominant as in the past...but even with the slight downturn in form, most would agree, they're on a different level than the whites.

In the 2020/21 season Wes won Coppa Italia and the Supercoppa with Juventus but Pirlo was still sacked after failing to capture the Scudetto as well (however, they placed 4th in the league to retain Champions League berth). It was my impression that if Leeds won the FA Cup and Community Shield and qualified for Europe in the same year it would be seen as a resounding success...maybe I'm wrong.

Is joining Leeds a step up or a lateral move for him? Is Wes incapable of playing for one of the better sides in England? I'm genuinely curious to know what you think
Jay - Dizi
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Jay - Dizi »

Cjay wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:45 pmBased on what?
Based on watching Leeds and his performances for Juventus plus Nations League/Qualifiers/World Cup for his country. Also based on the concrete interest from other English clubs. It's possible to disagree about whether he'd only be a squad player or signed as a marketing ploy on some of the top sides but there's no doubt he could've gone elsewhere if he wanted to...that's not a negative viewpoint btw! He's chosen Leeds and is a pretty ambitious character.

I really think Leeds can regain proper form and place in the top half of the table again next year and he probably thinks the same.

By the way, for anybody not terribly familiar with Wes (or curious why many Americans have a high opinion of him) check this out: https://martin-cbm-riley.medium.com/wes ... b78081230e

It's a very fair and honest breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses from a fellow Leeds supporter. :tup:

PS: My biased opinion is that he's better than Adams but only time will tell whether he shows that form in an LUFC kit.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jay - Dizi wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:56 pm I understand McK has to prove his worth & humbly integrate in the side and I'm ecstatic he was smart enough to join Leeds. It's a great club obviously!

I just don't think it's a sign of arrogance to say that Juventus and Leeds are viewed differently around the globe. No doubt, Leeds have a great reputation and history. It's also worth noting that Juventus are a shadow of themselves right now and not nearly as dominant as in the past...but even with the slight downturn in form, most would agree, they're on a different level than the whites.

In the 2020/21 season Wes won Coppa Italia and the Supercoppa with Juventus but Pirlo was still sacked after failing to capture the Scudetto as well (however, they placed 4th in the league to retain Champions League berth). It was my impression that if Leeds won the FA Cup and Community Shield and qualified for Europe in the same year it would be seen as a resounding success...maybe I'm wrong.

Is joining Leeds a step up or a lateral move for him? Is Wes incapable of playing for one of the better sides in England? I'm genuinely curious to know what you think
Leeds play in the Premier League and Juventus play in Serie A. That's probably the main difference in drawing a player to either club currently; the relative positions of the leagues on the global stage.

If McKennie believes himself worthy of a 'better' club, then he should have signed for that club rather than selling himself short by coming to Leeds.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jay - Dizi wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:19 pm Based on watching Leeds and his performances for Juventus plus Nations League/Qualifiers/World Cup for his country. Also based on the concrete interest from other English clubs. It's possible to disagree about whether he'd only be a squad player or signed as a marketing ploy on some of the top sides but there's no doubt he could've gone elsewhere if he wanted to...that's not a negative viewpoint btw! He's chosen Leeds and is a pretty ambitious character.

I really think Leeds can regain proper form and place in the top half of the table again next year and he probably thinks the same.

By the way, for anybody not terribly familiar with Wes (or curious why many Americans have a high opinion of him) check this out: https://martin-cbm-riley.medium.com/wes ... b78081230e

It's a very fair and honest breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses from a fellow Leeds supporter. :tup:

PS: My biased opinion is that he's better than Adams but only time will tell whether he shows that form in an LUFC kit.
He wasn't considered a particular success at Juventus.

He was playing in a slower and less technical league with less elite competition and yet didn't shine.

The difference in quality between Premier league and Serie A grows by the year, yet McKennie couldn't really shine in a poorer league.

Did Arsenal want him? I don't know, but the fans didn't, only have to look on the forum. Why would he turn us down for them if they did?

Villa? Maybe, is Villa considered a step up from us? Not for me.

He definitely isn't some superstar coming off a massively successful spell and stepping down.

He still has a lot to prove in Europe.

Hopefully he can do so and grow with us.

But I doubt the great and the good of Europe were beating his door down.
Signed

King Cjay

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

"Overall I would say he’s average with his defensive contributions. His pressing is good but he can leave space with poor decisions as to when to press. Additionally he can switch off in some defensive moments."

Doesn't progress the ball by passing, runs around a lot pressing, is defensively vulnerable, especially to opponents dribbling the ball.

Sounds like he'll fit right in to Marsch's chaos ball.

:lol:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Cjay wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:43 pm He definitely isn't some superstar coming off a massively successful spell and stepping down.
No, Cjay, all these American players are massive global superstars, and we don't know how lucky we are to have them gracing our little ol' club.

We should definitely listen to the opinions of these new fans, who'd never even heard of us twelve months ago!

:)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:08 pm No, Cjay, all these American players are massive global superstars, and we don't know how lucky we are to have them gracing our little ol' club.

We should definitely listen to the opinions of these new fans, who'd never even heard of us twelve months ago!

:)
When do Kentucky Derby play The New York Dodgers in Superbowl 1IV ? Is it before the world series of Americas cup matches anyone?

Last Tuesday in April i always thought, that might be Thanksalot day though, where celebrations are held for Sheriff Hog to predict whether it will rain in spring or summert and farmers can plant their crops ready to give some local peasants carrots and lettuce butties.

Summert like that, might be wrong, dunno.

I always stay up till stupid O' Clock to watch it on Ch4 for that full time show when Wacko's sisters tits pop out.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:14 pm When do Kentucky Derby play The New York Dodgers in Superbowl 1IV ? Is it before the world series of Americas cup matches anyone?

Last Tuesday in April i always thought, that might be Thanksalot day though, where celebrations are held for Sheriff Hog to predict whether it will rain in spring or summert and farmers can plant their crops ready to give some local peasants carrots and lettuce butties.

Summert like that, might be wrong, dunno.

I always stay up till stupid O' Clock to watch it on Ch4 for that full time show when Wacko's sisters tits pop out.
Not a clue. Faaip's your man for American rugby.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:11 pm Not a clue. Faaip's your man for American rugby.
Don't be dragging me into Kenny's special brand of inanity

8-)
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:47 pm Don't be dragging me into Kenny's special brand of inanity

8-)
You're the only person who knows what a 'gridiron' is this side of a barbecue.