Maximilian Wöber-Gone

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: Maximilian Wöber- DONE DEAL

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:48 am Granted, but that is still a very small sample size to base your suggestion on. A dreadful Cardiff side and a team that came for a point. Like I said, I hope you're right and Wober is going to make a difference, but a couple of swallows don't make a summer. Let's revisit this in half a dozen games' time and see where we are.
Well, an interesting stat in the YEP this morning. Brentford failed to register a single shot on target at ER - the first time this has happened since July 2020....Bear in mind that Toney is one of the best strikers in the PL, and Brentford have the 6th highest no of goals in the PL this season.

This is interesting ;

Clinton Morrison was blown away by Robin Koch as the “outstanding” Leeds United defender won his battle with Brentford striker Ivan Toney.

The difference in the German’s performance against the English front man at Elland Road on Sunday (22 January) compared to the 5-2 defeat on 3 September, where Toney scored a hat-trick, was night and day as January signing Max Wober seemed to make all the difference by his side.

And the YEP is lauding Wober this morning - ' as impressive a debut as any centre-back could hope for. '

It's also calling for Aaronson to be dropped, saying he pressed and ran around, threw himself to the ground etc, but there's no end product.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:54 am Well, an interesting stat in the YEP this morning. Brentford failed to register a single shot on target at ER - the first time this has happened since July 2020....Bear in mind that Toney is one of the best strikers in the PL, and Brentford have the 6th highest no of goals in the PL this season.

And the YEP is lauding Wober this morning - ' as impressive a debut as any centre-back could hope for. '

It's also calling for Aaronson to be dropped, saying he pressed and ran around, threw himself to the ground etc, but there's no end product.
I'm not knocking Wober at all, I've been impressed with what I have seen so far. What I'm arguing is your suggestion that he's fixed all our defensive problems, which were player problems and not system problems. I don't agree, but am happy to be proved wrong, hence my suggestion we revisit in half a dozen games and see how we're doing.

As for Aaronson, couldn't agree more. Haven't given up on the lad, but he's shite at the minute, trying too hard and needs a spell out of the spotlight.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:59 am I'm not knocking Wober at all, I've been impressed with what I have seen so far. What I'm arguing is your suggestion that he's fixed all our defensive problems, which were player problems and not system problems. I don't agree, but am happy to be proved wrong, hence my suggestion we revisit in half a dozen games and see how we're doing.

As for Aaronson, couldn't agree more. Haven't given up on the lad, but he's shite at the minute, trying too hard and needs a spell out of the spotlight.
I've said that he may have fixed our defensive problems - time will tell. So we agree on that - the jury is out, but the signs are positive.

Yeah, we can't carry passengers. Aaronson needs dropping for now.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Maximilian Wöber- THOUGHTS ON PERFORMANCE VS BRENTFORD?

Post by Aussieleeds »

Interesting that Brentford, after 5 wins in their last 7 EPL games (inc City and Liverpool) supposedly came to Elland Rd looking for a point rather than looking to push for a place in Europe?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:54 am Well, an interesting stat in the YEP this morning. Brentford failed to register a single shot on target at ER -
I've noticed that all the reports have Brentford having no shots on target but there was the shot that Koch managed to get in the way of and deflect over the bar.That looked to definitely be on target.

I think the stat guy must have nipped to the loo and missed it.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Wober for me, has brought more calmness and stability with him, leadership qualities are already shining, pleased so far, can't be any worse than Koch or Llorente can he !
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Aussieleeds wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:11 am Interesting that Brentford, after 5 wins in their last 7 EPL games (inc City and Liverpool) supposedly came to Elland Rd looking for a point rather than looking to push for a place in Europe?
It is how they play.It is their tactics. When they beat Liverpool and City they played exactley the same way, soak up the pressure and hit on the break. They see it as their best way of getting wins rather than trying to dictate play and leaving themselves vulnerable.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 am I've noticed that all the reports have Brentford having no shots on target but there was the shot that Koch managed to get in the way of and deflect over the bar.That looked to definitely be on target.

I think the stat guy must have nipped to the loo and missed it.
Blocked shots don't get counted making the stat completely irrelevant...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:43 pm Blocked shots don't get counted making the stat completely irrelevant...
Many stats are. If Koch hadn't got in the way of that shot it could easily have been a goal or would have required a good save looking at where it was heading and the pace at which it was struck.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:16 am It is how they play.It is their tactics. When they beat Liverpool and City they played exactley the same way, soak up the pressure and hit on the break. They see it as their best way of getting wins rather than trying to dictate play and leaving themselves vulnerable.
My point. They did not come for a draw. They used tactics that had previously won them games against good opposition. Just suppose we countered these tactics better than Liverpool and City. Just suppose.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Maximilian Wöber

Post by 1964white »

Accrington

Hardly put a foot wrong, love his last ditch tackles & overhead kick interceptions at the back.

Won loads of headers.

Constantly barking orders at his teammates, gave Perkins a right rollicking.

A proper leader!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Max Wöber vs. Manchester United
49 touches
5 clearances
4 blocked shots
2 interceptions
1 tackle won
1 shot
1 big chance created
1 clearance off the line
1 foul

How good was Max last night?

Threw himself in front of everything by blocking the most shots (four) and clearing an effort off the line.

A centre-back who always seems to be in the right position.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Class act, defence tightened up since his arrival, impressed by him so far, we got it right last night with Koch as RCB
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

It's very obvious now that the defensive issues ever since returning back to the PL are mainly down to poor recruitment of defenders. Wober has made an immense difference.

Shame it can't be a defensive partnership of Wober and Jansson - Wober is left footed and Jansson right footed. I suspect that those two would make a formidable partnership. Wober has at least made Koch look like a better player - though Koch will never have Jansson's aerial prowess.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 pm It's very obvious now that the defensive issues ever since returning back to the PL are mainly down to poor recruitment of defenders. Wober has made an immense difference.

Shame it can't be a defensive partnership of Wober and Jansson - Wober is left footed and Jansson right footed. I suspect that those two would make a formidable partnership. Wober has at least made Koch look like a better player - though Koch will never have Jansson's aerial prowess.
As was the case with Rashford's headed goal
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:06 pm As was the case with Rashford's headed goal
Exactly.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The old geriatric Ayling last night.

12 tackles,
4 clearances,
2 interceptions and a block.

73 touches,
30 passes,
two aerial challenges won
two dribbles
two shots

Lovely performance from our captain last night.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lose Wober to an injury & we are back to square one,
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Wober was class last night. Great reader of the ball which gets him into good defensive positions. Also has a bit of fire in him which we always love at Leeds.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:57 pm Wober was class last night. Great reader of the ball which gets him into good defensive positions. Also has a bit of fire in him which we always love at Leeds.
Thought he was brilliant too. Gave him a 10 in ratings. One minor gripe. He did play us into trouble a couple of times from the back. But defensively great. Think we got a gem and a bargain.