Leeds Utd 1-0 Southampton - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd 1-0 Southampton - Post Match Debate

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:49 am Weasel have you any idea how to find these stats things ? I want to see how far McKennie ran yesterday in comparison to Tyler, i'll be fcking staggered if he's anywhere close to him, but then again, maybe not ?
Cjay will be your man, I suspect.

Interestingly though McKennie passing success has increased every match in which he has started. He completed 59 passes yesterday compared to a total of just 60 in the previous 3 matches combined. He also carried the ball 50 times yesterday compared to a total of 51 in the 3 previous matches combined. I would think/hope that the McKennie we saw yesterday is a lot closer to the real McKennie than we saw in his first few matches.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Let's hope we have turned a corner & have a bit more luck at Stamford Bridge next weekend.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

I don't think we gave JWP one opportunity to score from a FK which suggests we were disciplined
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

whiteinfrance wrote:I don't think we gave JWP one opportunity to score from a FK which suggests we were disciplined
And that's how it should continue. I'm sure JG will enforce this.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:00 am Cjay will be your man, I suspect.

Interestingly though McKennie passing success has increased every match in which he has started. He completed 59 passes yesterday compared to a total of just 60 in the previous 3 matches combined. He also carried the ball 50 times yesterday compared to a total of 51 in the 3 previous matches combined. I would think/hope that the McKennie we saw yesterday is a lot closer to the real McKennie than we saw in his first few matches.
Doesn't reet matter now, i'd guess TA ran 2km more at least.

Out of interest Weasel, keep your eyes glued to McKennie next game if you're watching, and Adams for that matter, one strolling either cleverly or lazily (a bit of both i think) and one like the bunny but a lot more intelligent snapping away like a Terrier
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:35 pm Doesn't reet matter now, i'd guess TA ran 2km more at least.

Out of interest Weasel, keep your eyes glued to McKennie next game if you're watching, and Adams for that matter, one strolling either cleverly or lazily (a bit of both i think) and one like the bunny but a lot more intelligent snapping away like a Terrier
See for me Adams often does too much running rather than anticipating better. I'm not saying McKennie is a great anticipator etc, haven't seen enough of him to judge, but sometimes it is about reading the situation and thinking a pass or two ahead and where the real danger is. An example yesterday was in the second half when Southampton broke and they had a lad running down the right wing. Firpo was running back with him but was 10 yards narrower. He didn't put the afterburners on and was happy to watch the SOuthampton player head down the wing, he didn't cut accross but maintained the distance but always 10 yards inside. Adams came tearing past Firpo to go to the Southampton player. Now the trouble then is that if the Southampton player got a pass away at that point Adams is totally out of position and Southampton would have had a central midfielder unmarked. Now if that ball works its way to that unmarked midfielder and that midfielder is Ward-Prowse then that is much more dangerous than their player simply heading towards the corner flag.

I think Adams actually won the ball. So for a lot of people he made the right decision and did a fantastic job. For me he needlessly left the centre of the pitch. So great for the running stats but if it had gone wrong could have been costly.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:58 pm See for me Adams often does too much running rather than anticipating better. I'm not saying McKennie is a great anticipator etc, haven't seen enough of him to judge, but sometimes it is about reading the situation and thinking a pass or two ahead and where the real danger is. An example yesterday was in the second half when Southampton broke and they had a lad running down the right wing. Firpo was running back with him but was 10 yards narrower. He didn't put the afterburners on and was happy to watch the SOuthampton player head down the wing, he didn't cut accross but maintained the distance but always 10 yards inside. Adams came tearing past Firpo to go to the Southampton player. Now the trouble then is that if the Southampton player got a pass away at that point Adams is totally out of position and Southampton would have had a central midfielder unmarked. Now if that ball works its way to that unmarked midfielder and that midfielder is Ward-Prowse then that is much more dangerous than their player simply heading towards the corner flag.

I think Adams actually won the ball. So for a lot of people he made the right decision and did a fantastic job. For me he needlessly left the centre of the pitch. So great for the running stats but if it had gone wrong could have been costly.
That was the actual passage of play that i was looking how much effort TA had put into getting back to cover Firpo, i thought it was terrific, i saw the space he was leaving and was thinking 'jeez i hope you time this right' he did and we came away with it, it was about then i started to think about his engine and what mileage he was putting in today.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:58 pm See for me Adams often does too much running rather than anticipating better. I'm not saying McKennie is a great anticipator etc, haven't seen enough of him to judge, but sometimes it is about reading the situation and thinking a pass or two ahead and where the real danger is. An example yesterday was in the second half when Southampton broke and they had a lad running down the right wing. Firpo was running back with him but was 10 yards narrower. He didn't put the afterburners on and was happy to watch the SOuthampton player head down the wing, he didn't cut accross but maintained the distance but always 10 yards inside. Adams came tearing past Firpo to go to the Southampton player. Now the trouble then is that if the Southampton player got a pass away at that point Adams is totally out of position and Southampton would have had a central midfielder unmarked. Now if that ball works its way to that unmarked midfielder and that midfielder is Ward-Prowse then that is much more dangerous than their player simply heading towards the corner flag.

I don’t think you understand what his responsibilities are. This was intentional on his part. Look back at the last 4 games this is planned. Stop griping at anything.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Southampton Match Thread - Aaronson in for Summerville

Post by Irish Ian »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:51 pm I’ve never read any anti-American sentiment from you Ian. And it wasn’t my intention to attach that to you. So if I’ve done that inadvertently I’ll offer you an apology. I’m sorry!
Much appreciated.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Southampton Match Thread - Aaronson in for Summerville

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:57 pm Much appreciated.
Cheers Mate!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:01 pm Let's hope we have turned a corner & have a bit more luck at Stamford Bridge next weekend.
I think luck rarely comes into it. We need more composure and the ability to actually finish.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:23 am I think luck rarely comes into it. We need more composure and the ability to actually finish.
:roflmao:

;@)
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:41 am:roflmao:
Been on the meds clearly this morning.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:29 am Been on the meds clearly this morning.
Only for pain buddy :roflmao:

Thanks for reading my post :tup:

Must dash !

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:47 am I don’t think you understand what his responsibilities are. This was intentional on his part. Look back at the last 4 games this is planned. Stop griping at anything.
I don't think you understand football in terms of where the danger actually comes from. You see, you react, you don't anticipate.