Illan Meslier 

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Illan Meslier 

Post by The Subhuman »

It was the furthest anyone has scored from in 5/6 years. I think we don't need to apportion blame for that, 1 in 2000 event..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

He seems to get stick from some people who just pick out his mistakes. Yes he has made them all keepers do, but a lot of them have been down to his inexperience. Generally when mistakes are made by a keeper it tends to get highlighted more than an outfield player. I hope we can hold onto him as he is only going to get better and his mistakes less and less but with allegedly other clubs interested in him it might be hard to hold onto him. It will probably come down to whether he thinks going to a bigger club will improve him but also means possibly spending a lot of time on the bench or staying with us and getting regular game time.
As long as we stay up i think there is a good chance he will be with us next season.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

It was a freak goal, it is easy to suggest that Mes should have stayed in his ground ( which I thought at the time) or that Roca should find a white shirt from his clearance but 90 times out of a hundred that shot ends up in row Z.

That said I have noticed that Mesliers long kicks usually mean that the ball comes straight back at us.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:38 am It was a freak goal, it is easy to suggest that Mes should have stayed in his ground ( which I thought at the time) or that Roca should find a white shirt from his clearance but 90 times out of a hundred that shot ends up in row Z.

That said I have noticed that Mesliers long kicks usually mean that the ball comes straight back at us.
You really need a physical forward to win headers against CB’s Bamford very very rarely gets anywhere near getting on the end of a goalkeeper punt whether - it is a clearance or goal kick. He is pretty dire aerially and is easily out muscled. That is why I would suggest he played it to the flanks under Bielsa.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Just as a thought if he is sold - and it should be big money. I think a decent Orta buy would be Anthony Patterson from Sunderland. Similar age and huge promise, we will still have plenty of change.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Pretty much a come and get me plea

Strange response

Him gone then
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is it f**k!
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:11 pmIs it f**k!
Its is just Cjays daily " the sky is falling in" post.
He will soon move on
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

We do not need another Cantona saga at Leeds. Look how that ended for Eric... Covered in Gozz and a Karate kick. Illan take your time.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Illan Meslier on a potential transfer 🗣
"I have to be good. Because no one will come looking for me if I am not. And if I am asked, I will take the time to think about my future with a clear head.” #LUFC
Nothing untoward in that. Unless there are illegal approaches then the only way he is asked is if the club accepts a bid for him and then it is, like he states, up to him to think about whether to leave or not.
Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bongo1874 »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 am Illan Meslier on a potential transfer 🗣

Nothing untoward in that. Unless there are illegal approaches then the only way he is asked is if the club accepts a bid for him and then it is, like he states, up to him to think about whether to leave or not.
Spot on👍.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

According to some reports he wants to leave this summer regardless of club status at the end of the season. Chelsea are suitors apparently.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Time for Robles.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I honestly doubt changing the keeper will not make any difference. Meslier looks short on confidence, but if he is dropped it may not have a positive effect on him. Robles comes in and is no better what are you left with then.

CJAY is quick to say X shouldn’t start, he did the same with Ayling. Did we look any better without him in the team - NO

If we had a strong alternative to Meslier then fine - but Robles ?? He has been a No2 for most of his career for a reason.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere a decent enough young keeper, particularly one v one, but massively overrated for me.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Meslier has conceded all of the last 11 shots he had faced, until making a save in the 94th minute.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

You cannot defend Meslier anymore can you?

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

You cannot defend Meslier anymore now can you? He is one of the most over rated goalkeepers I have ever seen. I said it before; he does not have the qualities to be a #1 keeper in the Premiership. I was laughed at for making a post about giving Robles a chance a couple of months ago...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: You cannot defend Meslier anymore can you?

Post by Cjay »

He's phenomenally overrated
Signed

King Cjay

Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: You cannot defend Meslier anymore can you?

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Thank you Cjay! Someone with clear sight on here :tup: