Big Sam

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23125
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Big Sam

Post by SG90 »

At least if we hoof it for 90 mins, then we won't concede if it's up in air 👍
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23125
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Big Sam

Post by SG90 »

VinnysTattoo wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:19 pm Blimey.

A failed manager at League One level becomes assistant at a Premier League club.

I honestly don’t know what to say.
Sounds like most managers to be fair :lol:
User avatar
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 11769
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Re: Big Sam

Post by Barlow Boy »

SG90 wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:20 pm At least if we hoof it for 90 mins, then we won't concede if it's up in air 👍
That might work against City (for a while at least) :)
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Big Sam

Post by Mountain »

You really have to hand it to Leeds United.

Over decades, under different owners, with different teams, different styles...everything might change but you can put your house on this club completely screwing everything up. Sure, to keep us guessing they like to change the type of screw up, so we never know will we get an insane owner, a crazy purchase, a bizarre sacking or appointment, a financial meltdown, but the screwing up is consistent and inevitable.

Jesus wept, Sam Allardyce in charge. I guess thank Christ Neil Warnock is already in a job.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

SG90 wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:20 pm At least if we hoof it for 90 mins, then we won't concede if it's up in air 👍
You’re on to something fella.
Like keepy uppy with a balloon at Xmas. If it hits the ground you all die. Was a game in our house at that time of year. No. Just us then…
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Big Sam

Post by Finnatic »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:30 pm You’re on to something fella.
Like keepy uppy with a balloon at Xmas. If it hits the ground you all die. Was a game in our house at that time of year. No. Just us then…
We used to do it too but can’t remember if death was ever mentioned.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Big Sam

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:06 pm Isn’t that Marschball to some extent?
It is to some degree but without the naivety of having 7 or 8 players chasing the ball on the edge of the opposiiton box leaving us to get outnumbered when the opposition got past our press. It is more likely basic football with a back 4 or even a back 6 (or more). Not trying to win the ball back up front but hoping that a couple of our clearances lead to us creating chances.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

Finnatic wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:49 pm We used to do it too but can’t remember if death was ever mentioned.
We were pretty young and the older siblings convinced us it might happen. I can never look at them now without seeing a balloon
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Big Sam

Post by weasel »

VinnysTattoo wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:19 pm Blimey.

A failed manager at League One level becomes assistant at a Premier League club.

I honestly don’t know what to say.
A bad no.1 doesn't mean he can't be a good no.2. Steve McClaren was excellent as assistant manager at MU and a s**t no.1 and it can work the other way. You could be a great tactician but no good at motivating players. Clough was lost without Taylor as his no.2 but Taylor was poor as a manager.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23125
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Big Sam

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:58 pm A bad no.1 doesn't mean he can't be a good no.2. Steve McClaren was excellent as assistant manager at MU and a s**t no.1 and it can work the other way. You could be a great tactician but no good at motivating players. Clough was lost without Taylor as his no.2 but Taylor was poor as a manager.
Same with Michael Beale as well.
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:58 pm A bad no.1 doesn't mean he can't be a good no.2. Steve McClaren was excellent as assistant manager at MU and a s**t no.1 and it can work the other way. You could be a great tactician but no good at motivating players. Clough was lost without Taylor as his no.2 but Taylor was poor as a manager.
Love a number 1 if you’ve held it in for a while but you can’t beat a good old number 2.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Big Sam

Post by BGwhite »

Jaydog wrote: Love a number 1 if you’ve held it in for a while but you can’t beat a good old number 2.
You talk some s**t you do Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 8:07 pm You talk some s**t you do Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
I reckon I could be Big Sam’s number 3.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6571
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Big Sam

Post by BGwhite »

Jaydog wrote: I reckon I could be Big Sam’s number 3.
You wouldn't want to follow his number 2 eh.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 7:58 pm Nope, not just you - balloon keepy uppy is definitely a thing. See also, cushions, screwed up bits of paper and tin foil, Terry's chocolate orange boxes, etc...
Great imagination. More margin for error with a balloon although with the chocolate orange 🍊 you at least get to stuff your face first
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Big Sam

Post by weasel »

SG90 wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 8:01 pm Same with Michael Beale as well.
We're talking proper football here not the Eastenders Queen Vic pub team.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

BGwhite wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 pm You wouldn't want to follow his number 2 eh.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
I don’t know BG. Sams number 2 covered with lashings of thick gravy. Could be a winning dish
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Big Sam

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 pm Great imagination. More margin for error with a balloon although with the chocolate orange 🍊 you at least get to stuff your face first
Hot potato footy. Boom knock it up the pitch, the defenders gets burnt, our winger gets the spud and it's in the onion bag before Gary Lineker can toss off his secret sauce into a bag of walkers.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Big Sam

Post by Jaydog »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 8:17 pm Tin foil is the true sport of kings.
Oh I don’t doubt it but I prefer the leisurely aspect of keepy uppy balloon ball. You have time for a donut and a cup of tea in between ups. McKennie is brilliant at it I’ll be bound
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19693
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Big Sam

Post by weasel »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 6:37 pm I heard that Chelsea approached Orta and interviewed him for the job. They got him to tell them what players he'd sign if he was in charge of signing players for them. When Orta left Todd Boehly laughed his socks off and said, "What a mug we don't need to hire him now we can just go out and sign all these players he has recommended."
I wonder if Lampard was on Orta's list of managers to offer the Leeds job to?
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
Post Reply